Multithreaded test seems to be using some dead hosts

Sean

Lately when I have been trying any multi-threaded test, it has been quite erratic.  It generally jumps straight to 25-50% the instant I start the test and it quite often gets stuck around the 80-90% mark.  This is based on picking the UK option and testing on various devices (phone, laptop, desktop, etc.) and connections (home, work, LTE, etc.).

As the test in progress screen shows the list of hosts it tests with, I took a screenshot of it and pinged all the hosts it showed.  The culprit appears to be the UK2 tests:

5931746c3d212_UKTestMyhostfailures.png.3359595f1e9b7b55a6bddcb9fe7d0eb9.png

The hosts starting with 'uk.', i.e. uk.testmy.net, uk.testmercury.net, uk.tracemy.net, uk.testmymobile.net and uk.tmnstatic.com all pinged with an average of 23ms, so these seem to be fine.

The uk2.testmy.net and uk2.testmercury.net both pinged with an average of 141ms, so these seem to be pointing to US or other long distance hosts.

The uk2.testmymobile.net, uk2.tmnstatic.com and uk2.testmy.net hosts all fail to resolve the host name.  This probably explains why the test skips the first 25-50% as the script probably detects the failed host lookups as these pieces completing their download. 

The uk2.tracemy.net timed out, even when I tried this in my web browser.  This probably explains why it gets stuck around the 80-90% mark.

Update: An example from Fiddler showing the host issues while a multi-threaded test takes place:

5931c7784a0bd_Multithreadissue.png.3d3b0fb7e59364826c0a2d35a399a6f4.png

• 1 month later...

I just want to check if anyone had a chance to look at this issue over the past month.

From a quick check, the UK server with the multithread test is still picking unresolvable hosts in each test:

596278c0b1fa1_UKmultithreadissue.png.fc1991ee8451c8801b9b9b13aaf3a3a1.png

The Frankfurt (Germany) one seems to be fine, i.e. not one 502 error after running multiple tests:

59627a80d6450_Germanymultithreadresult.png.94688ef041226b4d27fbaacd35d5ba00.png

Thank you Sean!

This has been corrected and it now checks the availability of the server as it should.  Was only affecting the UK selection when you specifically targeted UK by itself.  

Great catch!