Streaming in the Philippines, quality attainable ?

Bang4dabuck

Before I invest in NFL GAMEPASS or an Nvidia Shield, what is the minimum speed  required to have a great stream. My ISP is PLDT and fiber involved, promising speeds up to 30 which I attain sometimes per Speed Net (hitting a local server). Of course on testmy it is never close to that. Any solution here ? Could it be my hardware, iPad 2 ( or Nvidia Shield ) - wifi ( I could Ethernet Nvidia) - older ACTIONTECH - another router - ISP box. My initial thoughts after reading up on the internet quality here in the Phils is that there is no solution at this time. If I am right, what would the country / ISP need to do to elevate their quality ? This place is almost a monopolistic economy, they prohibit foreign competition. The government now is supposedly demanding the 2 main providers to up their game, we'll see. So if I get 4-7 hitting a San Francisco server, how good will streaming be ? Hardware needs to be upped ? Nothing can be done due to geographic location/lower standards of the Philippines ? VPN would probably really hurt it.

Thanks

I have an iPad 2 and it'll do about 35 Mbps, so it's not the speed limiting item. In the past, on an ISP plan of 25 Mbps max, I used to get decent streaming on a Roku 2.My TestMy speeds back then ranged from 15-25 Mbps depending on time of day. It might be challenging for you if you only get 4-7 Mbps. I don't have any streaming experience at that low of a speed, so I couldn't really say what your experience would be like.

5 hours ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

I have an iPad 2 and it'll do about 35 Mbps, so it's not the speed limiting item. In the past, on an ISP plan of 25 Mbps max, I used to get decent streaming on a Roku 2.My TestMy speeds back then ranged from 15-25 Mbps depending on time of day. It might be challenging for you if you only get 4-7 Mbps. I don't have any streaming experience at that low of a speed, so I couldn't really say what your experience would be like.

So how about my router or am I screwed because I'm in the Philippines ? If it is the country what could cause the connection to be so bad with the rest of www ? Is it the geography or the ISP being cheap with the fibr ? They are practically a monopoly here and they don't allow foreign competition. 

Not sure which Actiontech router you have, but if it has "n" wireless it's plenty fast. 10/100 Ethernet is also plenty fast. I still use "n" wireless, and before I upgraded my router from 10/100 to 10/100/1000, I was getting 80 Mbps on both wireless and Ethernet on a 100 Mbps ISP plan.

as far as what your speed problem is, ask friends with your same ISP to test with TestMy and see what their results are. That way you could isolate the problem to your side or the ISP side.

if the issue is with the ISP, then I would suggest trying to get as many people as you can to complain to them.