Hi from Shelley From Down Under S.A

shelley

Hi to you all,

I am new to the group and it looks as though I have come across a great site for testing speed, so I do thank you for having me.

I hope some can explain to me how I can change the details for testing to my correct location and IPS  too :-) 

I work as a home based Telemarketer and as sad as it sounds I love my job. I am lucky that I was vaccinated with a gramophone needle and like to chat. Yes I do get to chat as I guess I do have a special talent when it come to chatting with people. I am on the other hand not well written ( so put away your red correction pens ) and far from technical when it comes to computers or ADSL /  and the so called NBN that has been completely messed up with the governments getting their claws into it.

The Company I work for I need to log into their server and systems all my calls go through their auto dialler for recording. So every thing is done in real time as you would imagine. Monday 28/8/17 logged in as per normal and later in the day I was having issues with lagging and in able to end calls which is most frustrating. It turns out it was my end and not the company server. Telstra say when I called "we can see you have had a few drop outs and you seem to have spikes blar blar " well to cut a long story short they got me to do the trouble shooting I had already performed before calling them and after 3 hours and do the Ookla speed tests. They agree its not great but its not bad they tell me. I go now to level 2 Tech support more trouble shooting and finally after much crying (pure frustration) I ask for the team manager as I am getting no where fast. He puts some suppressor on the line, say it will be a bit slower but should be ok for what I do and Friday we will have a tech at home to check things out.

Well I worked for a short while today and have the same issues. Nothing has changed in my home at all " no wet pits from rain" so why all of a sudden is this happening. I will be happy to share the results from both Ookla and here and if any one wants to explain to me what the heck its about I would love it.

PS I will show you the results if I can work out how to do it...see said I'm not Tech clever 

Edited by shelley
I couldnt work out how to add my file from speed tests

I see that on TestMy you're getting about 7 Mbps download and about 0.4 Mbps upload when things are working OK. At least I assume that those speeds are in the range that your ISP plan says you should be getting. What is your plan speeds they said you should get?

one of your tests dropped down to 1.7 Mbps download.

i would be persistent with your ISP on this problem. Try to stay polite (though it's frustrating). Keep calling them until they get it resolved. 

Thanks for your reply, Telstra came he had his fancy testing machine say no line fault within speed limits. I insisted on the drop outs he calls to check says there had been 6 in past 12 hours but still within range so nothing wrong..... I am going to have to bite the bullet and go NBN he says that it will be much better. So in all I was to be charged for the visit as he could find nothing wrong but he kindly didn't charge for an hour visit. I said to him a big thank you for but I wasn't going to pay as its having drop outs also besides speed.

18 hours ago, shelley said:

... So in all I was to be charged for the visit as he could find nothing wrong but he kindly didn't charge for an hour visit. I said to him a big thank you for but I wasn't going to pay as its having drop outs also besides speed.

So now they have you afraid to call them out again.  Don't you just love that tactic they have now.  "I'm not charging you this time but if you make me come out here again..."  -- and the customer feels like, "Oh thank you so much for not charging me SIR!"  --- the issue your describing doesn't necessarily have to be combined with poor signal quality or any other outward signs.  Intermittent issues can be difficult to source.  I want to tell you, you pay them monthly - don't fear calling them!  They owe you the service you pay for.  ...but let's first establish that it's outside of your control before calling them back out.  ;)

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=50&q=shelley

Since you're testing on an iPad I assume you're using wifi.  Is your laptop also on the wifi?  Is your wifi built into your cable modem?  Is your cable modem rented from Telstra?  How far is the modem from where your laptop and iPad are?  Are there other electronics around the wifi router?  Is the router in a confined space?

If at all possible, wire directly into the modem or router with cat-5.  If your modem is separate then go direct from the modem to the computer.  You want to eliminate wifi as a variable and if possible eliminate the router as a variable. (if you disconnect the modem from the router you need to reset the modem power for 10 seconds so the modem will work from your computer's MAC address, repeat this step when you return it to the router.)

If you do those steps and are still displaying the issue... then we've established that wifi and your home network are most likely not at fault.  It places the fault more on the ISP.  Especially if this is proven on multiple devices.

If you can only test on wireless then take a picture of where your router is located and give us an idea of the relation of where that is in your home.  It could be that another device nearby is causing interference.  We can help you deal with that.  I recommend reading and practicing Wireless Feng Shui. -- anything with a motor near the router especially can cause issues.  Maybe you have a fan on top of it and this happens when your cat steps on the button.  Or it's on top of a microwave and your connection gets cut out every time someone reheats a slice of pizza.  Imagine a bubble radiating around your router... no other electronics are allowed in that bubble.  I see people put them under their TV's in a mess of wires, stuffed inside their TV console.  The signal bounces around in there, echoing off the walls and there's a mess of electrical interference.   If that's your case, get that router OUT and away from other objects so it can communicate.  Situations like that may cause intermittent issues because one of those outside forces may be turning on and off.  ;)

On 8/31/2017 at 4:57 AM, shelley said:

I work as a home based Telemarketer and as sad as it sounds I love my job. I am lucky that I was vaccinated with a gramophone needle and like to chat.

That's awesome that you work from home doing something you love and are great at.  Doesn't sound sad at all.

Shelley I would try and sign onto the nbn service if you can. It will work out cheaper in the long run and your phone calls are free using voip service that they provide. Also they can offer fast downloads and or speeds. Some isp's are offering up to 100 Mbps service.  Also although the nbn uses the same old copper cable to the premises it should be within 400 metre to the Node where it connects to the fibre cabling. This should provide some help with copper cable connection problems.

Hope this helps

Ross