Running out of options!

alwaysgr33n

My internet speeds are fluctuating wildly, I stream onto Twitch.tv so I can notice any little variation in speeds.  I first had comcast and now I have WOW. Arris Surboard 32 channel model #SBC190 is my modem and an asus RT-AC 3100 is my current router settup.  I was having the same exact issue using Comcasts 2 in 1 router/modem combo.  My speeds should be in the 190-240 down and 10-15 up range.  They will spike both crazy high and crazy low.  The upload seems to be way more inconsistent than the download.  The last tech that was at my house was talking about interference on channel 39 causing some problems.  My overall computer knowledge is most likely a 5or 6/10 and my networking knowledge is prob 3/10 being honest.  

At this point I am just curious as to what the problem or issue may be.  Also wondering why i get solid results on http://www.speedtest.net/ (ie the exact speeds i am paying for) and testmy.net gives me different results.  I can tell you that this sites results more accurately reflect the nature of my speeds.  Any other information you guys would let me know. 

I would like to have this fixxed but also pretty curious as well.

Good. You've eliminated the Wifi. 

Do all your computers/tablets exhibit the same behavior? If yes, then I would start calling the ISP repeatedly until they get it figured off ur. It may take many frustrating phone call, so stay patient and polite. These days, a lot of the first tier helpers at ISPs aren't overly skilled, so it may take multiple calls to elevate the issue.

if you have friends or neighbors in your local area that use the same ISP you ask them what their experience is.

Everything acts the same way.  I have now made it up the Regional Technician with WOW, and actually called him by accident at his home on his cell yesterday.  Also when I run the tests they can be as low as 100 down maxxing over 600 is this type of variance normal? (in the same test)

That much variation isn't normal with lower speed plans. Most of the time my Spectrum (Time Warner) 100/10 plan gets 115/10.5 with 1-3% variation, and periodically it'll drop down to 90/8 sporadically for a few minutes then clear up. I don't know if the faster plans like yours typically show more variation than that, but the numbers you are seeing seem to have way more variation than I think would be normal.