Speed test wrong?

daronmal

I started using this site earlier this year and got really consistent results, I occasionally check my speed to make sure my ISP isn't screwing me over, however, now I've been having REALLY low download speed test. I went from a consistent 200-230 Mbps to under 1 Mbps, but all other sites have not changed my speed.

Having the same issue here, just started happening recently - maybe a month(?). Speeds are very slow and inconsistent compared to what the used to be. NY test server btw. Other speed test sites are performing normally for me so i know it's not on my end.

Interesting, also on Comcast and in MA, South Shore to be specific. I'd share s screen grab but i've basically cancelled all tests since it started happening because they take too long.

Edited by iamdw
changed from Comcast auto DNS to googles, but it didn't change the speed.

7 minutes ago, daronmal said:

Its always been the same device, my main PC, the only change I've made at all is some hardware changes that don't include the motherboard. 

I can only assume you changed the NIC, however this does not account for the provider not being recognized, which may or may not be anything on your end. Depending on how you may have as well changed your network , ie: firewall, VPN, proxy ect physically or software.

I believe maxmind is still the GEOIP source testmy.net uses, which is by far always correct, (due to advances as well as the ever changing topology in networking as a whole) so it could be anywhere between you and or the ISP as well.

The next thing to look at might be, did this occur before, or after your hardware change.

As well I might ask if there were extending circumstances as to the reasoning behind the hardware change.

2 minutes ago, daronmal said:

The last hardware related change I made was Sept. 17th to 20th, not sure the exact day, but that's when I swapped out GPUs.

Yea that would likely have no effect on this issue.

I'm going out on a limb and claim Comcast is doing some block movement, and or in the middle of moving you to IPV6, the latter more likely from what I can see, considering they are now issuing special purpose blocks

1 minute ago, daronmal said:

Here'es the traceroute, I'm just not a networking person, Im more of a hardware guy, so forgive my networking related ignorance.f533362244725e01f68b7d202f1d76f7.png.86b177c9b78ad4c60ce01a4579a3f1fd.png

Well there is your answer. IPV6! It would appear this does not reside in the current database at testmy.net , let me raise this with @CA3LE

And networking is complex, I am always looking for answers (including currently in my own situation) so no worries there. No one knows it all or even half of it. :icon_thumright:

Just now, daronmal said:

Oh so it's just an issue with this site? Okay, yeah, I ran a bunch of different speed tests, all were between 230-270Mbps.

No, I don't think so.

This is about routing, it appears considering the IPV6 change, your route has also changed.

The IP detection (not showing the provider) is simply due to the IP database not currently in the database here, which would have no bearing on your route to here.

Test to other testmy.net/mirror s and see what changes.

2 minutes ago, mudmanc4 said:

No, I don't think so.

This is about routing, it appears considering the IPV6 change, your route has also changed.

The IP detection (not showing the provider) is simply due to the IP database not currently in the database here, which would have no bearing on your route to here.

Test to other testmy.net/mirror s and see what changes.

Okay, I tried the FL one: https://testmy.net/db/mg3b9Vdsq

I also did other tests: Ookla Beta - Xfinity - Speed Of Me

I know the Xfinity one would be biased, but comparing it to the other ones, it seems correct.

Okay, I tried the FL one: https://testmy.net/db/mg3b9Vdsq

I also did other tests: Ookla Beta - Xfinity - Speed Of Me

I know the Xfinity one would be biased, but comparing it to the other ones, it seems correct.

Correct, this proves an ISP routing issue.

Especially when you can test over 1000 Miles away and get better results than several hundred.

Just now, daronmal said:

So should I wait for the issue to be resolved before testing on here again? And those results are correct? or just a load of crap?

The results to the new york server are due to ISP issues, nothing we can do about that, I'm sure they will get it right when they are capable of doing so.

That said, testing to various geographical area's is the best way to ascertain how your ISP is conducting their peering (how they transfer your data over networks they do not own)

Therefore never stick to just one test server for any reason other than local connectivity issues (intrastate or ISP to your desktop connectivity)

2 minutes ago, mudmanc4 said:

The results to the new york server are due to ISP issues, nothing we can do about that, I'm sure they will get it right when they are capable of doing so.

That said, testing to various geographical area's is the best way to ascertain how your ISP is conducting their peering (how they transfer your data over networks they do not own)

Therefore never stick to just one test server for any reason other than local connectivity issues (intrastate or ISP to your desktop connectivity)

So best results would be testing multiple sites and each one in a different region? I dont feel like TMN is being very accurate for me, especially for the NY server.

So best results would be testing multiple sites and each one in a different region? I dont feel like TMN is being very accurate for me, especially for the NY server.

Actually this is the exact reason for various testing sites, it is performing precisely as intended. Showing you where the issue is.

There is a routing issue between your ISP, and the New York test server, likely due to the fact the ISP has changed their schema to IPV6 on your modem, and they are likely working out new routes for this block. Of course you could have gotten bumped to a different ISP level network for various other reasons as well.

Therefore the tool is doing it's job, letting you know your connection is not proper from the ISP, to the New York area, yet proper to Florida.

See, if a site has a CDN (Content Delivery Network) you will not notice pageload issues, considering you will pull from the available resource in line, on the other hand, if a site is not static (like a blog) and is in the New York area, you will load slowly, if at all. If the 'blog' is located in Florida, and not on any CDN, then you'll load quickly. Testmy.net is a tool not just to check for throughput, or what speeds you are paying for, but for geographical connectivity as well.