Australian Servers?

barney79

Hi,

I am with the Australian FttP network, and getting highly variable speeds. I have used testmy's auto testing to track speeds over 24+ hours, and got speeds from 4Mbps to 93Mbps (on a nominal 100Mbps connection). However, my provider is saying that testmy "is not acceptable as it is located overseas, which means there are quite a number of hops before it supplies the results", despite it having Australian servers.

Can anyone tell me if testing from Australia uses only Australian servers?

Thanks
Edwin

@barney79, Welcome to testmy.net forum.

If your testing to a specific server such as the testmy.net Australian server, and the test is originated from the same continent,  that is where the test is run. Full stop.

The reporting server has no bearing on the test results. The test has already been completed before results are sent anywhere, the Australian test server simply reports findings to the main testmy.net server, records them into the database, and reports back to you, after the test has been taken.

If you were to run the multi threaded test ( selecting more than one server, then yes there would obviously be more variables involved) but that is not your question or case it seems.

Not sure where the provider is getting this information, but generally speaking, that theory would not be viable in any test environment. As you may well already be aware of.

TestMy.net is based in the USA but has servers across the globe.  You've been automatically testing against an array of servers closer to you in Sidney, AU.  ;)

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 3.41.30 AM.png

See the little flag in your result details.  You can also hover over that for more details.

The number of hops to display the results in irrelevant.  By the time that's happening... the test is already completed and the result is only waiting for final calculations.  Results are only sent back to TestMy.net's home for processing and logging to databases.  Switch to a US speed test mirror and you'll see the difference.

Bottomline, your ISP is either blowing smoke or they're just ignorant.  In our experience here... most ISPs would love for you to dismiss TMN results.

For 100 Mbps, you're not doing bad at all.  ;)

Edited by CA3LE
noticed that you mentioned your package speed in the original post