Long term ideas

the forums now getting to a point where we have people signing up for help, but theres only van to help and he won't be able to cope with 100 people with shitty connections a day, so i'm thinking we get trainee's to take care of the minor issues. flames/comments?

yea, i wont be able to help all  :(

But im sure alot of ppl following the posts in Make it faster forum, and learned what to check and how to setup diffrent connections

I also made 6 diffrent Cablenut versions, so if one version dosent help, try another

you can also build your own cablenut files on j79zlr

ill help :D all i ask is: :D

1. make me a global moderator

2. VanBuren, maybe make a basic tutorial

3. Attach all the files you use to a single post (ok, you dont have to do that, but it would help me a lot :D )

btw, i have read every post that has gone through this forum since March 13 :D

i have the basic idea of how to help people, but i could use more specific than reboot modem, etc...

i would be glad to help :D

lol more mods o.O  If anyone deserves more mod its Aggr3 IMHO. That guys always on here helpin out.  "Aggr3  10d 13h 12m"  Evn mabey email some of the current global mods to come help who arent so active. ( i know we have a handfull) But other then that .. :shrug:

dagger ..there's more to building the cablenut files than a tutorial could teach you...Van asks for the tracert and ping tests to help him determin the latency. Then he seems to incorporate the up and down max connection speed and rolls in the operating system and in some cases the computer speed. After which the numbers are dropped into cablenut and certain ones need to multiples of other numbers. So to me it seems that a total understanding of the above mentioned processes is needed to be effective at this, which makes it more of a concept then a simple tutorial could get across to most people. I've been paying attention....but he looses me at times... :haha:

Im abit geeky when it comes to tweaking internet connections, so i read alot about it and follow other forums aswell, so ive learned from that.

I will provide the links to the sites i have very good information

the basic stuff is

MTU

MSS ( Maximum Segment Size ) = this is always MTU -40 ( 40 is overhead )

MTU ( Maximum Transfer Unit ) = this parameter is set by your ISP, and can be messed up in some routers

There is NO reason to set the MTU, the MTU is always correct, cos Windows PathMTU detection is enabled by default

1500 for all connections beside...

PPPoE = 1492, and if your using XP and no router, windows will give you a MTU of 1480 ( its a XP bug ), but notice if you have a router, you will have 1492 with XP aswell.

AOL = Most AOL connections ive seen has a MTU of 1440

Some Dialup connections has a MTU of 576

Some satelite systems using a MTU of 1460 ( the analyzers wont work for Satelite, cos analyzer read the NOC servers TCP setup and not the end users. )

If your unsure what MTU the connection has, you need to get rid of all tweaks and run a analyzer, like tweaktest at dslreports

you need to download and open Dr.Tcp or TCP Optimizer and make sure the MTU field is blanked out ( no value at all ) and click apply, now open cablenut and click delete cablenut tweaks and click save to registry

if MTU still seems off, ask the person to bypass their router and connect direct to modem and make a new tweaktest.

the MTU thats reported now is valid and thats what you need to use when building the cablenut files or choose the right MSS folder ( remember MSS is always MTU-40 )

the Matematical Formula for RWIN

quote from http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=73799

"TcpWindowSize (RWIN) FORMULA

(Maximum Bandwidth x Maximum Anticipated Latency) / 8

Example of a connection with a 3000 download cap with a maximum latency of 100 ms:

(3000 x 100) / 8 = 37500 To make it a multiple of MSS divide by 1460:

37500 / 1460 = 25.68 Then round up to the nearest even whole number:

26 x 1460 = 37960 - Optimum RWIN"

the "RWIN" is TcpWindowSize and GlobalMaxTcpWindowsize on 2k/XP

dont mix this up with the AFD parameters

AFD Parameters XP/2k

quoute from http://www.dslnuts.com/2kxp.shtml

"1. DefaultReceiveWindow - The number of receive bytes that AFD buffers on a connection before imposing flow control. For some applications, a larger value here gives slightly better performance at the expense of increased resource utilization.

Value Type: REG_DWORD

Default: 4096/8192/8192"

this parameter suppose to be 1024 x your download CAP in KB/s so if you have a 5 Mbps download cap

5000 Kbps / 8,192 = 610,3515625 round to closest whole nr = 610 KB/s x 1024 = 624640

However, you can try a larger value here, some ISP

Im abit geeky when it comes to tweaking internet connections, so i read alot about it and follow other forums aswell, so ive learned from that.

I will provide the links to the sites i have very good information

the basic stuff is

MTU

MSS ( Maximum Segment Size ) = this is always MTU -40 ( 40 is overhead )

MTU ( Maximum Transfer Unit ) = this parameter is set by your ISP, and can be messed up in some routers

There is NO reason to set the MTU, the MTU is always correct, cos Windows PathMTU detection is enabled by default

1500 for all connections beside...

PPPoE = 1492, and if your using XP and no router, windows will give you a MTU of 1480 ( its a XP bug ), but notice if you have a router, you will have 1492 with XP aswell.

AOL = Most AOL connections ive seen has a MTU of 1440

Some Dialup connections has a MTU of 576

Some satelite systems using a MTU of 1460 ( the analyzers wont work for Satelite, cos analyzer read the NOC servers TCP setup and not the end users. )

If your unsure what MTU the connection has, you need to get rid of all tweaks and run a analyzer, like tweaktest at dslreports

you need to download and open Dr.Tcp or TCP Optimizer and make sure the MTU field is blanked out ( no value at all ) and click apply, now open cablenut and click delete cablenut tweaks and click save to registry

if MTU still seems off, ask the person to bypass their router and connect direct to modem and make a new tweaktest.

the MTU thats reported now is valid and thats what you need to use when building the cablenut files or choose the right MSS folder ( remember MSS is always MTU-40 )

the Matematical Formula for RWIN

quote from http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=73799

"TcpWindowSize (RWIN) FORMULA

(Maximum Bandwidth x Maximum Anticipated Latency) / 8

Example of a connection with a 3000 download cap with a maximum latency of 100 ms:

(3000 x 100) / 8 = 37500 To make it a multiple of MSS divide by 1460:

37500 / 1460 = 25.68 Then round up to the nearest even whole number:

26 x 1460 = 37960 - Optimum RWIN"

the "RWIN" is TcpWindowSize and GlobalMaxTcpWindowsize on 2k/XP

dont mix this up with the AFD parameters

AFD Parameters XP/2k

quoute from http://www.dslnuts.com/2kxp.shtml

"1. DefaultReceiveWindow - The number of receive bytes that AFD buffers on a connection before imposing flow control. For some applications, a larger value here gives slightly better performance at the expense of increased resource utilization.

Value Type: REG_DWORD

Default: 4096/8192/8192"

this parameter suppose to be 1024 x your download CAP in KB/s so if you have a 5 Mbps download cap

5000 Kbps / 8,192 = 610,3515625 round to closest whole nr = 610 KB/s x 1024 = 624640

However, you can try a larger value here, some ISP