• Mozilla Suite
    • AOL
    • Netscape
    • Other

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use avant browser its tab browsing built in popup blocker uses IE core etc its pretty fast and ive customized it the way i like it theres all kinds of skins for it and it comes with no flash viewing no picture viewing so you dont have to see all the crappy pictures on those crack and warez sites

id be fascinated to know how many site that opera supposedly displays wrong . . . :) an i dare say that if that is the case then the builder is to blame . .  not the browser . .. . :) sure, i have seen a few that are a tiny bit off but nothing major :) well unless its a whacked out site or somebody just coded drunk lol . . . :) opera beta 7 is awesome .. opera 8 beta 3 is even better and in my opinion by far the sweetest browser ever . . .  well apart from safari rss ;) . . . mmmmmmmm oh yea! . . . besides being very very versatile, it is the fastest browser :P with ie not too far behind . . but anyhow . . . :) long live opera!

Actually, testmy.net is one of the sites that displays wrong...

so ur saying cable is a bad coder??

also, opera isnt really any faster than mozilla...actually, i get faster speeds on mozilla than i do on opera most of the time.

Actually, testmy.net is one of the sites that displays wrong...

so ur saying cable is a bad coder??

also, opera isn't really any faster than mozilla...actually, i get faster speeds on mozilla than i do on opera most of the time.

ummmmm that is truly fascinating . . . what version of opera was that screen shot taken under?

In my opinion, there are only 2 browsers; Opera and Mozilla/FF

To me IE doesn't even exist unless I have to go to an M$  Windows site .  Secunia can't even keep up with the security exploits in it and M$ does very little to repair or prevent those exploits.  Yes they do updates, but not fast enough to prevent damage, and they won't even acknowledge many of them, let alone fix them.  I have IE disabled for the most part, I have to remove the blocks to go to Windows.com  Maxthon and the various other IE skins might make it prettier, but they do not make it safer since ActiveX is still there.

You CAN pay for Opera, you do NOT have to.  The unpaid version has a small ad window which I have blocked.

I haven't used FF, so I can't comment on it, but I have used Mozilla extensively and Netscape before AOL got it's claws into it..

So between the 2 [Opera and Mozilla], I use Opera about 80% of the time..  Safer?  Hard to say.  Secunia reports many less exploits for it, but that could be simply because it isn't in wide enough use for the human garbage [ie;hackers] to go after it..

ummmmm that is truly fascinating . . . what version of opera was that screen shot taken under?  the only thing on the testmy.net site that is dif -for me- than ie is that the "please choose your test" section isn't centered . . . also . . . ask cable urself if he is a good or bad coder.  I'm only saying that if compatibility is what your going for and you code for cross-platform - cross-broswer usage, then you need to code it so it will display properly for a variety of users.  Sure . . . you have a choice and I'm not knocking that but saying that it doesn't show pages right is a bit outlandish because I've seen some pages designed for ie that were really messed up.

oh yea . . . an i would like for u to show me some statistics that mozilla is faster than opera . . . :)  all around :) not a specific site . . .

anyhow . . . not tryin' to get into a fight or nething . . . just would love to hear why firefox or whatever is better than opera . . .

Version 7.54 (the 'pro' one...which doesnt really seem to have any benefits from the free one...)

well unless its a whacked out site or somebody just coded drunk lol . .

ask cable urself if he is a good or bad coder.

well ur basically saying if it doesnt work in opera then the coder of the website is messed up...not me wanting to know whether or not cables a good coder or not...

and why would i want to ask?  maybe its not him being a bad coder, its just opera being a bad browser...

why else would this website work perfectly fine on every other browser i have (IE, FireFox, Netscape 8.0, Maxthon), and show up all weird on opera

Version  7.54 (the 'pro' one...which doesnt really seem to have any benefits from the free one...)

The only difference between the Free and Paid versions is that the Ad Banner is removed in the paid version.  There is no functional difference.

and why would i want to ask?  maybe its not him being a bad coder, its just opera being a bad browser...

why else would this website work perfectly fine on every other browser i have (IE, FireFox, Netscape 8.0, Maxthon), and show up all weird on opera

First off, IE and Maxthon are the same thing.  Maxthon is nothing more than an elaborate skin for IE, it is NOT a separate browser.

Second, Netscape is AOL

Third, Opera strives to be standards compliant, something M$ could care less about.  M$ wants the world to code to their standards.  FrontPage is an example of that; it inserts loads of code that is essentially useless and will cause websites built with it to function improperly when viewed with other browsers.  I see the same thing as the screen shots above, but I figure someday the webmaster for this site will fix the coding so that it works properly for all.  It should be nothing more than a simple table tag adjustment.

FireFox is completely free from AOL. 

AOL has nothing to do with Firefox. The Mozilla Foundation has the rights to it.

Both True.

The Mozilla browser is basically Netscape with a different name, AOL is all over Netscape...

Part 1 is False. Part 2 is True. 

Netscape was originally written by the folks who broke of and formed Mozilla.  They then stoopped working on Netscape

and focused their efforts on Mozilla and Thunderbird.  FireFox started out to be the browser component of Mozilla, but has since evolved into a separate entity.

Netscape was bought by AOL and all futher updates changes are written by AOL.