Logging / Public Results

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before...or even if this is somewhere on the site that I haven't seen yet...

But I think it would be killer if OS/Browser was fingerprinted...maybe even the IP snapshot and bounced off of Arin to find out the ISP--

then the results made public in some type of graph or something, showing OS breakdown/browser breakdown/ISP etc...

Or possibly even an area for when the test is ran, people can put in specific information about their setup and the hacks they've done to achieve higher speeds. This would be a good knowledge-base for everyone.

dslreports.com does have that i jsut checked. You have to take the speed test, then clock the button on the bottom of the results page to submit your score and then it will show the scores of tests from people that have the same ISP as you.

ack, sorry-I wasn't logged in when I posted this last night, I didn't know (most forums don't allow guest posts).

Well maybe this could just be an option that is turned on/off, so that if people want to participate they can. Then all of the results of the fastest ISP's and stuff will be public and nobody would need to ask what the best ISP is for a particular area.

Same thing with the tweaks. Publically available information for people who opt-in to test and provide the tweaks they did (browser/os etc).

ack, sorry-I wasn't logged in when I posted this last night, I didn't know (most forums don't allow guest posts).

Well maybe this could just be an option that is turned on/off, so that if people want to participate they can. Then all of the results of the fastest ISP's and stuff will be public and nobody would need to ask what the best ISP is for a particular area.

Same thing with the tweaks. Publically available information for people who opt-in to test and provide the tweaks they did (browser/os etc).

This is the only forum that I allow guest posts... because I want to hear the opinions of all users reguardless of if they are a forum member or not.

But I have been working on what your sugesting.. it is very hard to do because I can't do it through ARIN (unless you guys like to wait for an ARIN query with each test) ~~ but there are IP tables that I can get my hands on that show the IP blocks of ALL ISPS in the world... and are updated, I just need to figure out how to get them for free, and also get updated versions for free..... and them work it all into my site. Not all too easy for one guy to do ;-) --- DSL Reports has many people working on their stuff (I assume)

What I really need is the RAW database in .CSV -- I need "IP-Country-ISP" database ~ then I can import it to a mySQL database and query locally - but all I can find is people that want to charge me to get the database...... and I know why, most people that want this information are using it to GEO target users... well not me, I just want to make my database more searchable by ISP and stuff.... grrrr

Help me find this guys!!!

I'm checking around for this. The first thing that came to mind when you said "they are using it for GEO" is Visual Route, so I downloaded it and it appears that they've got that application built in Java and the databases aren't plaintext...I'm not familiar with Java so I'm not sure if the classes they have do some kind of interpretation on the data.

I'll keep looking, but I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to maybe consider setting the logic up like:

-user shows up, page pulls IP address

-Query database for netblock/isp match in local MySQL database

-NO MATCH? -->Do Arin and insert ISP into local MySQL database

-MATCH? good.

Sure it will run slow if you have to bounce it off of Arin, but eventually you will build your own copy of the netblocks/ISP's. I think as long as you throw a message up for the user to know, then it'll be ok. Then eventually you can abandon Arin entirely.

I actually think that this should be an opt-in thing that is ran either before the test or after the test and the user gets to choose.

(will keep checking around) :D

If there is a way of tapping into Arin, why not script an IP scan to do it?

Not sure how long this would take but maybe you could even distribute the load out to a few other people and we could get it done quicker.

It would basically just be a complete listing of all the IP's in the world, and we'd run an automated NSLOOKUP on it, and output it to a text file in the format that you want.

C:Documents and Settingsunstable>nslookup 65.123.4.12

Name: unassigned-65-123-4-12.net.tiedyenetworks.com

Address: 65.123.4.12

Aliases: 12.4.123.65.in-addr.arpa

then we parse everything from the right to the left, and we end up with just the root domain

65.123.4.12 = tiedyenetworks.com

If there is a way of tapping into Arin, why not script an IP scan to do it?

Not sure how long this would take but maybe you could even distribute the load out to a few other people and we could get it done quicker.

It would basically just be a complete listing of all the IP's in the world, and we'd run an automated NSLOOKUP on it, and output it to a text file in the format that you want.

then we parse everything from the right to the left, and we end up with just the root domain

65.123.4.12 = tiedyenetworks.com

Here you might be onto something, as for building my own ip-country-isp database -- even if I did I would still have to run ARIN or something because the database changes about 10% /month -- I wouldn't want inaccurate data... I'm going to look into parsing NSLOOKUP though, that may be worth it.

I will let you know what i come up with, if you can figure out how to do it in perl or PHP let me know, I can implement that into my logging easy as a mofo!

Guest Anonymous
... if you can figure out how to do it in perl or PHP let me know' date=' I can implement that into my logging easy as a mofo![/quote']

I'm a g1mp, I don't know PHP or Perl. I am trying to get a Linux or Unix box going so I can learn something other than MS though.

Like I said (as guest, damnit that's pissing me off! lol). I don't know PHP but with the programming skills that I do have, I would assume

"Explode" is somehow linked to nslookup.

I spent alot of time developing when I was in the Marine Corps about 3 years ago, but since then I haven't written a single thing, other than batch scripts.

I ended up using

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

$fullhost = gethostbyaddr($ip);

$host = preg_replace("/^[^.]+./", "*.", $fullhost);

I put it in http://www.testmy.net/whois.php for testsing

you will see a portion that says "your host is ::*.ph.ph.cox.net *** host of your query is :: *.chvlva.adelphia.net " (that is just what i got when I pulled your IP unstable)

But what I need to do is parse further and just get the end of that like instead of *.chvlva.adelphia.net it would say adelphia.net -- will just take me a little more to parse that down... :)