..definitely psyched!

unstable

So I decided it was time to learn Linux. I've played around with it on and off for years and it usually doesn't last more than 24 hours on any of my hard disks...because 9 times out of 10 when I install and boot into Linux for the first time...stuff is unresponsive, I have to kill crap and it gets annoying real quick.

Anyways, to make a long story short. I installed Fedora 2 the other day and it has been running pretty well. I managed to blow it up yesterday trying to upgrade to X11R6.8 so that I could play around with the Transparent windows...that is just too cool.

Reinstalled today and got the transparent windows working...which is fruggin awesome. I might actually be able to keep this thing running long enough to learn a thing or two.

:) unstable,

Cool I could never really get comfortable with Linux and at the time I had no one to ask questions to....so after a couple days I would get frustrated and bail let us know how it goes......like Swimmer said I have been waiting for Longhorn to give that a go:)

8) Microwave

When I was trying how to figure out how to get transparent windows going, I seen there are some downloads to make Windows do it now...haven't tried it yet. And from what I have experienced when I turn on the Transparent windows, the system slows down alot because it's using some kind of OpenGL routine to do the calculations.

Anyways, as far as Linux goes in general and my sentiments...I'm not too impressed. There is waaay too much of a learning curve between Linux and Windows. Plus 9/10 of the distributions I have installed in the past, sucked so bad on default install that they were barely useable. I don't think that someone who installs Linux for the first time should have to worry about trying to optimize the system and fix bugs.

But this is the longest that I think I've ever had Linux running on a machine and I'm going to try to stick with it for awhile and see what I can learn. I'm mainly doing this so I can understand something more than just Microsoft products. Anyone who is going to school for IT or wants a job in IT or whatever, if all you know is Microsoft...you're going to have a tough row to hoe. But if you know Linux and Microsoft...and even some good programming languages, you should be set for just about any job.

I've been working IT for about 7 years now. Most organizations have a jumble-fux of MS products, Linux/Unix, sometimes Novell, Mac etc.

When you get down to the brass tacks of it all, some solutions are better than others, regardless of what platform they run on.

I have to admit that Microsoft really does gouge the hell out of clients with licensing fees, which gets really old quick. But aside from the costs of Microsoft products, I think that most of the stuff they make is pretty damn good. Sure it has holes, but whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, Microsoft has really driven technology to new heights. They definitely innovate (even if security isn't at the top of the agenda).

I've developed some software before, and testing it to make sure you have all of your grounds covered is not an easy task. But testing is only as good as what you are able to think of that someone may do. Know what I mean? If you don't expect someone to send some wildly malformed packet to your server, you're not going to test for it and until someone does it and says "This causes a problem", you aren't going to know about it.