Do you get advertised speed with Optimum Online?

RAINMAKA

i was just looking around and i saw that optimum online is offering 30Mbps download and 2Mbps upload for relatvely cheap. I think the most it would be is about $65 a month minus taxes if you do not have there other services. i was jsut wondering if anybody has optimum online and gets these actual speeds.

i was just looking around and i saw that optimum online is offering 30Mbps download and 2Mbps upload for relatvely cheap. I think the most it would be is about $65 a month minus taxes if you do not have there other services. i was jsut wondering if anybody has optimum online and gets these actual speeds.

cheep

i am getting the 30 mb plan as soon as they come and its tuesday if i'm not working but my speeds on the 2 mb upload and 15 download are in my sig below.  there is times where it is a bit less but its the best for the buck and pay the $35 for the pro install so if it doesnt go right you wont get charged. also when you get it make sure they test it and your getting close to your speeds before they leave and they can give you the newest modem and if they have to run a new line for the modem only

o really then i will have to check into it more. but with most things they are not available in my part of connecticut. maybe i searched wrong or something but my zip code is 06351 maybe someone can determine if it is possible for me to get it. if i need to give more information about where i live just let me know

no luck, i guess im staying with the isp i have now. i live out in the woods and have been waiting for dsl to come to my neighborhood for about 2 years now with no luck. is it true that the farther from the central office you are the slower your speeds would be?

• 3 weeks later...

:(

In reply to the question of getting advertised speeds, I don't come close during peak hours!

The only time I get the advertised speeds is after midnight or during the day, when people are in bed or at work/school.  At 3 AM my speed is awesome!  Too bad I can't afford to be up then!

I can't imagine they will be offering Boost where I am anytime soon, as they seem unable to provide regular service here! :(

P.S.  The Optimum Online Tech I called about this went routing around in my computer, found my settings were fine, then suggested I switch to my USB connection instead of my network card.  Which would mean reinstalling the software.  I asked him "if it's my problem, and not Optimum Online's, why does the problem go away at midnight?"  He shut up and went away, fortunately!

i get very close to my advertised speed but remember its not garenteed speed its up to that speed cause its cable and it is a shared connection. i get about 24,000 kb to here and 1,900 up and my speeds are in my sig.  its the best around for me with the price and fios is around the corner so as soon as fios is here i will get it.

what speeds do you get to here and to nyc speakeasy and i can help you tweak it out a bit more. :D  also did you try cablenut and make sure you have no viruses, spyware and adware in your comp?

I'll tweak it some more, and I'm very paranoid about security, everything's patched, I run about 5 different antispyware and antivirus programs, have both hardware and software firewalls.

Re: what I mean about speed problems, I was getting nearly 56k speeds at 8 PM, here's what I get at 12:45 AM:

First try

Connection is:: 7474 Kbps about 7.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 912 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Tue Jan 03 2006 00:44:09 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 133X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.12 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 12.54 % faster than the average for host (optonline.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0WF2ZHSQL

Second try

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 8422 Kbps about 8.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1028 kB/s

Test Time:: Tue Jan 03 2006 00:45:29 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 150X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 26.82 % faster than the average for host (optonline.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AZK15RH9O

To me the above is a clear sign that they don't have sufficient capacity during peak hours!

It'll get even faster if I try it at 3 am!

Note that I live in a condo community with tons of kids, probably online gaming and downloading vids and music.  I bet it's a real test of a system's peak capacity.  Still, 56K speeds are not acceptable during the only hours I can use it!  :x

O.K., going to bed, but here's the speed at 1:30 AM:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 9120 Kbps about 9.1 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1113 kB/s

Test Time:: Tue Jan 03 2006 01:29:09 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 163X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.92 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 37.29 % faster than the average for host (optonline.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FGN73Q5LY

I've gotten it up to about 85 Megs a minute, but not today!

well one day hook it up directly to the modem and allow testmy.net in all your firewalls and then test it out.  doesnt look like you got the upgrade to 15/2 yet did you? 

Kind of doubt they'll offer 15/2 here soon, considering their problem with peak capacity.  Can you imagine them claiming you can achieve 15/2 here, when they are close to 56K at peak?

And it's not like they have to worry about Verizon competition anytime soon up here in the boonies, they can just say "be grateful for what we choose to give you"! :(