SpeedStream Modem

LaGzo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You just need to put ur modem away from Big electrical gadgets such as speakers, monitors, tvs, anything and it will not die.

SpeedStream 5100 is the best!

I had a Briteport by CreAtive and it went too slow so i bought a SpeedStream 5100 and runs like a beaut! I had  that same dying problem, but only that it happened to me every 15minutes.

Dont know much about the 5100, but I'd take it over my 4100 anyday.

Im a newer customer to Yahoo DSL and received a little black box called a Speedstream 4100.  The first one overheated and literally started melting.  Modem Number 2, well right after I plugged it in, it started to smoke.  Modem number 3, it hasn't over heated or died but to get any speed over 1000kbps I have to log into the modem (common routable gateway of 192.168.0.1) and hit restart modem.  So I called yahoo last week and upgraded to the 2wire.

Powercycling the modem doesnt work, unplugging cords doesn't work, it only works when I go in and hit restart inside the modem setup page.  I was having to do this 10 - 15 times a day, just to get decent speeds.  What can I say, I like to play WoW and hate latency.  At first I thought it was the lines to the house (I cant say its the line to the outlet, that runs less than 3 feet and is a dedicated DSL line), but I had those replaced and it still happens.

Well yesterday I received my 2wire Wireless Gateway from Yahoo, in hopes this would cure the problem.  I have yet to have to powercycle, reset the modem to obtain good speeds, or do anything other than swap modems.

From the recent experiences with the 4100, I think its crap.  Dont mind me, I rant a bit when Im angry at my internet. :lol:

You just need to put ur modem away from Big electrical gadgets such as speakers, monitors, tvs, anything and it will not die.

SpeedStream 5100 is the best!

I had a Briteport by CreAtive and it went too slow so i bought a SpeedStream 5100 and runs like a beaut! I had  that same dying problem, but only that it happened to me every 15minutes.

i have had a 5100a for almost 3 years now and still kicking

• 3 weeks later...

mINES GOOD AFTER 2 YEARS MAYBE ITS BECAUSE I DONT LEAVE IT ON 24/7 JUST WHEN I NEED IT 10 HOURS A DAY MAX

It has a power botton it means its not suppose 2 b on 24/7 does a clock have a power botton ? no its ment to b on all the time

• 2 weeks later...