MAIL SERVER

jamaicarocks

Wuz up,

I just started hosting my own mailserver using Microsoft exchange 2003 .i dont have a static so i'm using no-ip dns service to solve that. Everything works great and i can send emails to any email account but cant receive any..I added a MX record in dns and forwarded port 25(oh yeah i can send and receive email internally just fine it's just receiving them)

It's a new service so wondering if the MX record name hasnt propugated enough yet(dont know)

(help please)

Thank you!!

Not sure about windows, but i use debian linux, and sendmail for my mail server, and by default sendmail is set to only allow you to  recieve mail locally while you can still send out to anyone you can only recieve locally. You have to tell the mail server to use port 25 for send or recieve or whatever, and not just locally. example for sendmail  Port=smtp,Name=MTA. I'm sure this is about the same for whatever mail server you use. check the configs, and see where you need to edit.

everything seems fine the server is using 2 virtual servers 1 for intranet and 1 for the internet (i have a dual homed server) listening on port 25.

but i still am able to send email but cant receive any

i'm still wondering if the domain name i got since it is new. needs couple days to propugate??????????

I run my own DNS server on my box i use BIND. I don't know what you are using for your DNS or if you even have alot of control over it like you do when you run your own DNS server. If you are running your own DNS on your box did you apply your changes? Also make sure your NS records, A records are correct plus you must have an A records for each MX record you setup or you may never recieve mail.

You could have Duplicate MX records which would be confusing for the mail server, and cause the mail not to be delivered or worse. If you only have one ip address than one MX record is all you can have. I have 32 ips on my box so i have 3 mx records which is wise incase one goes down mail will still get through.

(sorry for the caps couldnt bother typing over)

YEAH I DO I DONT KNOW IF THE PROBLEM WAS THAT I STATED MY MX RECORD WITH PRIORITY OF 10 AND AGAIN WITH THE PRIORITY OF 5

ALSO I'M USING NO-IP SERVICE SO UNDER WWW.MYDOMAINNAME,COM I SET AN MX RECORD

UNDER FTP.MYDOMAINNAME.COM I SETTED THE SAME MX RECORD

AND FOR NS.MY DOMAINNAME.COM ALSO AND SO ON

WAS THIS A MISTAKE???