2. motherboard

3. processor

4. memory

5. graphic card

6. hdd (hard disk)

7. dvd-rw

8. floppy drive (just in case!!!)

9. case fans

motherboards usually have integrated sound and lan ports, consult a technician for combinations

Well all right, here is my quick explanation

1) Processor - pretty much a starting point when building any computer - choose your way: Intel or AMD - research the topic to see which one appeals more to you and to your needs - when you choose to go either Intel or AMD, there are many choices within each, different socket processors, different cores, but thats another topic here

2) Motherboard - Once chosen which way you would like to go, Intel or AMD, you have to choose your motherboard - it is one of the main parts of your computer which pretty much glues everything together - you are pretty much shopping for features, and you have to make sure it is compatible with your processor

3) Memory (RAM) - You pretty much can't go without this - once chosen the motherboard you want, you will have to choose how much memory you want in your computer and which type (yes, there are also different types of memory) - I recommend at least 512MB

4) Storage (Hard drives) - You will need at least 1 ! - They come in different sizes, types - for most people I would say 80GB would be enough - very cheap and always upgradeable/expandable

5) CD/DVD Drives - DVD drives are very cheap now days, buying one of those will allow you to read all CD formats and DVD formats as well - if you decide to buy yourself a DVD burner (DVD

Easy thing to start: buy a second hand old pc.

The remove everything except the buttons and the flopydrive (!) and leave the wires from the buttons in place as well. Make sure to find the right lay-out for the wires to hook up the switches and lights.

If you have an AT case, be prepared to do some sawing in the case to make things fitting for the connections.

Philipshead screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, motherboard raising studs, screws <-- all needed too.

I have build two system myself and the most important piece of advice I can give is, "Support".  I don't know if anyone here has ever purchased a Chaintech mother board especially the Socket A kind for the AT cases.  But when it came time to power up, the nightmare began! 

I decided to go cheap with the two computers I built because they where for kids under 15 yrs. old and their parent didn't want to spend alot of $.  But, as I discovered the support for the cheap mother boards was absolutely terrible and time consuming to actually speak to a live person. 

So, long story short, you get what you pay for!  Keep that in mind.

compuworm

I have build two system myself and the most important piece of advice I can give is, "Support".  I don't know if anyone here has ever purchased a Chaintech mother board especially the Socket A kind for the AT cases.  But when it came time to power up, the nightmare began! 

I decided to go cheap with the two computers I built because they where for kids under 15 yrs. old and their parent didn't want to spend alot of $.  But, as I discovered the support for the cheap mother boards was absolutely terrible and time consuming to actually speak to a live person. 

So, long story short, you get what you pay for!  Keep that in mind.

compuworm

Very true...If you buy a cheap motherboard, you will have cheap support, and if you are not familiar to building/repairing this can be a nightmare, and cost you more to get the pc running in the end...

I built this pc with an asus board, and have had no problems(knock on wood), and they constanly have bios upgrades, and driver updates...When I had thought I had a problem, a quick call to customer support, and some chat with a human being, found the problem to be with my memory and not the board...

Try to leave room for upgrades too...Buy a motherboard that can be upgraded in the future...(ie: room for more memory/faster processor/sata capable etc).

i concur on leavong room in the board for more ram, having the latest drive connectors etc. as for being able to upgrade the cpu, history shows that that is hopeless. you can hope to do a jump of maybe 1 ghz max with the socket you buy. anything faster, better with a new architechture will force you to buy a new board anyhow. and by the time you feel it's time to upgrade the cpu, everything else will be slow too, so you might as well plan on getting a whole new box with board, cpu, ram video card etc. after all, the next step up from pci-e is already announced for 2k7.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=0&model=744&modelmenu=1

Thats the board I'm building new setup with...Should be sweet with the Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO Memory..

I would uge you to with an MSI / DFI motherboard instead of the ASUS one - My first choice was the ASUS SLi motherboard (top of the line) and then I spent numerous days looking at reviews / performance data and so on - the DFI one (DFI SLI-DR) that I chose is about the best one you can buy - extremely good overclocking ability / stability and I would have to say that the DFI has one of the best support out there !

I just built my first computer for myself a week ago and let me tell you, it sure was easier than i thought it would be. Booted up fine first time and I installed windows..... and hear I am with a awesome gaming machine  :D. I went with Asus (A8N5X) for the MB and ran into 0 problems. Good luck!