BUS Speed

igarek77

Hi All,

Just had a quick question, I have a program at home that is called EVEREST (Like a benchmarking program) and it shows all the internal components, what they are what they do and what they are running at (speed wise) so i ran a test on a  P4 2.8Ghz, when I purchased the computer, it said that it has a 800Mhz front side BUS, the program shows that it's running at 200Mhz. Why would that be, and how can I change it to 800Mhz ? Through BIOS ? I have this machine HP Pavilion a350n with upgraded memory module (Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader).

Thanks for looking and possibly suggesting a solution :shock:

Check the manual, you may have a jumper on the motherboard that needs to be moved to increase the FSB...

There is also normally a setting in bios to adjust, but that will depend on on your bios/motherboard..

Before you start messing with the FSB, make sure you know how to clear your cmos, incase of system failure due to overclocking...(just being safe and assuming you may not know how to)

I'm not very familiar with HP's, so the above may or may not hold true...Best thing to do, would be to locate a manual for the board, and see if there are any jumpers that need to be moved...

Then take a look in bios...My setting for fsb, is under "System Frequencies/Voltage..etc"..

If you have hypertransport, be aware, that your fsb may say 200MHz, but you have to multiply that by the hypertransport speed to get the effective fsb.....For Ex. My hypertransport speed is set at 1000, and my fsb is turned up to 218, therefore effectively giving an fsb of 2180...Be careful though, overclocking the fsb too much will make the system very unstable.