another help me topic

insideout

I didn't read Van's use of CO.But this is used for Central office of your telephone company sometimes called telco also.This usually applies to DSL or dial-up.When you are checking your line distance or legnth.A call to your telephone company is the best way to determine this but there is an online calculator .In my case the online calculator was 10000 ft off what the telephone company said.The Central Office is not necessarily where you pay the bill but the main terminal that your line goes to.

oh i use Verizon DSL...dunno how to find their main office though. oh and are there any more tweak settings i could try? I don't think any of the tweak settings in Van Buren's custom tweak settings apply to me cuz they include cable as well or do not have the right values. oh and if i have a friend who uses Verizon as well and he lives really close to me, then does that mean he can use the same tweak settings that would work for me and get the same results?

insideout ;There are members that could awnser better but I think that Verizon  could tell you your line or loop legnth.Basically even with DSL the shorter the loop the faster the connection.

The fact that you have DSL shows that you are  close enough that they  sell it to you.

Verizon probably uses the local phone companies lines though..They could run all their own or they could even be your local phone company.

As for the tweaks working for a freind that lives close.If he has the same connection as you(same caps) then the same tweaks should work.There are a lot of things that could cause the two of you to get different speeds like a different modem,PC,router,software,or cables used to name a few.

If Van didn't give you the correct cablenut settings for your DSL then ask him again he's usually very helpful.

yeah i am. I just tried one of the tweak settings from the thread that Parkway drive got. it was a 5000/476 tweak setting or something like that.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2811 Kbps about 2.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 343 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:51:50 GMT-0500

Bottom Line:: 50X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.99 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 59.22 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8TH5JFZXA

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 565 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 69 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:53:01 GMT-0500

Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 14.84 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 89.26 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QA0DKJOLF

i think this is the max that i can reach = /.

If that is while going through your router, the answer may well be yes.  After reviewing the trace, I believe that there is somewhat of an incompatability between the router and the modem.  The hops in the trace going from your router to the modem are over 20ms, which is too high, and would cause speed loss.

Options are: upgrade router firmware, replace cable b/w router and modem, or direct connect.  You may also want to try using the reset button on the router (usually a pinhole) to reset to factory defaults.