"QoS Packet Scheduler"

asubaseball727

QoS Packet Scheduler" Reserves 20% of your bandwidth for services like "windows updates, microsoft updates, error reports, Anything that has to do with automatically updating itself; Made by Microsoft.. This service just insures that no matter how much you may be downloading the sytem has enough bandwidth to download updates... Me personally I like having ALL of my Bandwidth,, but just removing this out of LAN CONNECTIONS will not remove that 20% hold on your bandwidth... Instruction here on how to remove >>>http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=81205<<< after removing it myself I had a 0.6 increase in my download speed might work more for you..

The Quality of Service Packet Scheduler, a component of the TCP/IP stack that's installed by default. QoS, controls the rate of flow for various network services. It's not terribly useful unless you're using apps which are QoS-aware or running a server, so you can gain some network overhead back by turning it off or un-installing it.

[for registry tweakers]

click on Start > Run > (type)regedit

goto System Key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsPsched]

look for Value Name: NonBestEffortLimit

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: Decimal Percentage (default = 20) set to 0

This setting determines the percentage of connection bandwidth that the system can reserve for QoS traffic. By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection. Set to 0

Well I found a different way to do this:

By default, Windows XP reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for its "Quality of Service" (QoS) applications so it can prioritize certain QoS-aware applications for bandwidth access. This is not only unneccessary in most cases, but it can reduce the maximum speeds you get for a particular application, particularly if you're on a fast Network connection. It should be noted that this doesn't affect the speed of your Internet downloads.

This 20% minimum can't be removed even by unchecking QoS in the network control panel applet. Here's how you can use the Group Policy to change the Reserved Bandwidth:-

1. Log onto your computer with an account that has Administrative rights.

2. Open the Start Menu and click on Run.

3. Type gpedit.msc in the available field and click OK.

4. Once the Group Policy MMC snap-in loads, expand the Computer configuration > Administrative templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler branches.

5. Double click on the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting

6. Change the selected option at the top from "Not configured" or "Disabled" to "Enabled".

7. Change The "Bandwidth Limit %" To 0 (Or however-much you want to reserve for QoS-aware applications).

8. Click OK to dismiss the window, and close the Group Policy Editor.

9. To check and make sure you haven't previously deactivated QoS from the Control Panel, go to your Network Connections dialog (in the Control Panel), right click on your connection, choose properties. Under the General or the Networking tab (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is checked.

10. Reboot your computer for these changes to take effect.

http://www.pcnx.com/tips/view.asp?tipid=54

Well I found a different way to do this:

By default, Windows XP reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for its "Quality of Service" (QoS) applications so it can prioritize certain QoS-aware applications for bandwidth access. This is not only unneccessary in most cases, but it can reduce the maximum speeds you get for a particular application, particularly if you're on a fast Network connection. It should be noted that this doesn't affect the speed of your Internet downloads.

This 20% minimum can't be removed even by unchecking QoS in the network control panel applet. Here's how you can use the Group Policy to change the Reserved Bandwidth:-

1. Log onto your computer with an account that has Administrative rights.

2. Open the Start Menu and click on Run.

3. Type gpedit.msc in the available field and click OK.

4. Once the Group Policy MMC snap-in loads, expand the Computer configuration > Administrative templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler branches.

5. Double click on the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting

6. Change the selected option at the top from "Not configured" or "Disabled" to "Enabled".

7. Change The "Bandwidth Limit %" To 0 (Or however-much you want to reserve for QoS-aware applications).

8. Click OK to dismiss the window, and close the Group Policy Editor.

9. To check and make sure you haven't previously deactivated QoS from the Control Panel, go to your Network Connections dialog (in the Control Panel), right click on your connection, choose properties. Under the General or the Networking tab (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is checked.

10. Reboot your computer for these changes to take effect.

I can't do that on my XP Pro machine, but I can do the registry tweak.