Wireless USB Network Adapter NOT being Recognized by Verizon DSL installation CD

KCR

I have a new computer connected to Verion DSL. I have gone through the necessary steps to get my older computer connected to Verizon DSL but an X keeps appearing stating that I need a Network Inference Card. I was told by a computer GEEK that all I need is a Wireless G Router connected to my DSL modem(this was successfully done) and a Wireless G USB Network Adapter installed and connected to my older computer in the next room. The Verizon installation CD is still saying that I need a Network Inference Card. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! K

find the geek that told you that and slap him upside the head for me. if you go from dsl to wireless router to usb adapter to connect to wireless you might as well stick to dialup for all the speed you're dropping along the way. buy a cheap network interface card at bestbuy or wherever (don't get conned into paying more than 20 clams) and install it. then hook up the router to the modem and wire the comp to the router, or leave out the router altogether if you want, add the driver cd to your coastert connection, read the 2 links in my sig, tweak your connection and awaaaaaaaaaaay you go!

So KCR are you basically saying that you have a DSL connection wired to a wireless router and then you want  a new and old laptop to both receive the signal and be in use throughout your house. Is this correct? BTW Welcome to the site. Hope you like it and tell your friends.

what i'm saying is that the wireless usb thingie is the worst possible connection you can choose. so if you have a better option...

The one good thing about it is if it is hard to use wired (my house is) and you use USB you can get a long usb cable to get a good signal if necessary - also, as I stated in a previous post - I have hardly any differance in speed using usb or wired - I wont say wired is not faster, but the differance is hardly anything.

Shug7272 What I am saying is....  I have an old compaq presario comp.  I am trying to get it up and running with DSL.  My new comp. is up and running with the Verizon modem connected to the D-link router. The cheesy guy I spoke with last night said that all I needed was the d-link wireless router and a wireless USB network adapter. I was hoping this would work since the computers are in two seperate rooms. Love this site. You guys/girls have been great!

here is my wireless Verizon dsl connection

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1315 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 161 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Dec 09 2005 00:19:06 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 23X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.36 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 27.7 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-T10FYO2L8

30% signal

Wireless will work fine

My genius friend in the Philippines figured it all out.  I had to revamp the IP address, DSN address and disconnect the proxy server. YES I do in fact have central air and heating...I'm an elementary school teacher not a computer whiz! I come from a family of teachers and doctors. Too bad family coudn't help. Thanks...................

a tip for getting a pull string in to the vent you want to come out of (since ac ducts are sometimes run pretty convoluted.) set the fan to high and then tie a string to a lightly wadded up piece of paper or a large lump of cotton. let the fan blow it down the duct playing out the string, closing all the vents but the one you want to come out of. then use the string to pull a firmer cord through, then that cord to pull the cable. look at the layout of ducting in the house to figure out where you have to introduce the string to get where you want to go. can make getting around otherwise impossible to negotiate corners easier, although the wife my ask you just wtf you are doing flying a kite in the ac ducting...