AMD's archetecture difference vs Intel

amc11890

My brother just got a fairly cheap pc  with sempron 3200+.  I know that Athlon xp are comparible to p4s and the number next to it means wat the speeds would be according to intels standards and the lower clock speed but comparible performance is becuase amd has different archetecture.

But my question is: is sempron comparible to celeron and does to 3200 mean that the sempron 3200 is as fast as a cleron 3.2GHz or is the even a celeron w/3.2GHz??

Also i have heard of the amd athlon xp 1800+ outperforming a p4 2.0GHz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

You are right that their architecture is quite different.  AMD's are usually more efficient at games because of their shorter pipelines, in this case about 10 pipes.  The Intel P4's of the Prescott and above variety have about 31 pipes and are more efficient at video editing.

Because AMD proc's today have such a short pipeline, they can can be clocked slower and still beat the Intel proc's in most everyday tasks.  The reason Intel has to jack up the speed of their proc's is to keep the proc fed because of all the pipes that it has.  That is also the reason Intel put so much cache memory on the proc and AMD can get away with about half of what Intel puts in their procs, and hence can keep the prices down on the mid- and low-end models.  The higher end models are still pretty pricey.

The Sempron cannot be compared to a celeron of the speed of the sempron's model number, only because the architecture's differs quite a lot.  Though, I dare say that the Sempron will royally own the Celeron with ease in games and other tasks that stress memory bandwidth and FPU performance.

One question of my own, is this Sempron 3200+ the socket 754 variety or the socket A (462) variety?

Good luck with that PC.

Then it would be an Athlon 64, correct?  There are no Sempron 939-pin procs, just 754-pin Semprons.  If it is an Athlon 64 939-pin proc, then it could be the Winchester or Venice, since there are no 3200+ San Diego Cores.  In that case it would be a pretty quick processor.  The on-die memory controller would slaughter most P4's of higher denominations because games like low latencies, not to mention the Celeron's aren't really made for high-end games.

I can understand that HP could have access to some weirdly clocked Semprons, but that still doesn't change the fact that Socket 939-pin Semprons don't exist yet.  They are only available in either Socket 462 aka. Athlon XP or in Socket 754 aka. A64 Clawhammer, NewCastle, Venice (one model available on Newegg.com).

There are no 939-pin Semprons yet.

The reasons the Intel chips are getting such a bad rap lately, are:

1.  They run too hot.

2.  They need extreme cooling to stay stable.

3.  They cost to much for the performance that you get.

AMD's these days are cheaper and cooler running, and as a bonus can actually run stably on their stock heatsinks.  FPU performance is also much better on AMD's, and so they really shine on mathematic heavy apps and games.

I have a new HP ze2000 Notebook (if you remember the Black Friday Deal) its a AMD Mobile Sempron 2800+

1.6 ghz and came stock with 256mb ddr ram (added another 512 so dimm 3200 and now Im at 768 mb then 128 goes to memory so Im left with 640mb)

40 gb hard drive

My brothers computer (brand new)

Toshiba Satellite L25-S1193

Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.5 ghz) 512 then after graphics its 448 mb of DDR2 SDRAM

60GB (5400 RPM)

Even though I have more ghz and more ram, his computer still seems alot faster than mine....Can anyone explain this to me?  His computer is also lighter and thinner and doesnt get as hot as mine.

celerons arent made for anything good hehehe

you would be surprised at how powerfull a celeron D or celeron M is.  buddy of mine has a celeron M laptop and when i first used it i thought it was a pentium m because it was so fast. The celeron is no joke.

If you want a processor that is a joke get the amd turion that fucken thing is a joke.

you would be surprised at how powerfull a celeron D or celeron M is.  buddy of mine has a celeron M laptop and when i first used it i thought it was a pentium m because it was so fast. The celeron is no joke.

If you want a processor that is a joke get the amd turion that f***en thing is a joke.

U cant really do any gaming with the celeron tho...

your notgoing to play BF2 or FEAR on it unless you got a major video card. But for every app. excpet games and video rendering you are not going to see a major diff. between a P4 or AMD 64

yeah true. Do u no wat the fastest clock speed for a celeron d is now?