Stupid cable modem question, but I'll ask it anyway!

ratchet

Ok, thank you!  Next question:  several times so far thi month it has been below 0 here in PA and the reading has dropped to 32.  The only time it has ever been below 39.  What do you think is happening?  I'll get home from work and it might only be 15 out, however, the ratio will be back to 39.

That is quite a swing from 39-32 even with the cold temps.

RF levels actually increase when it is colder out because there is less attenuation when the cables are cold.

And the cables are physically shorter when there cold - you may notice power/telephone/cable lines droop down low on a hot day - on a cold day there tight as a piano string.

It still should not affect your downloads much even when it drops to 32dB.

What is your Rx level?

What is  Rx?  I am aware of the better signals in the cold that is why I didn't understand what is going on those couple extra cold mornings.  Her are all my values at the moment!

Downstream Value

Frequency 495000000 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB

Power Level 7 dBmV

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value

Channel ID 3

Frequency 23000000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 45 dBmV This of course is Upstream!

Status | Signal | Addresses | Configuration | Logs | Help

What is  Rx? 

Sorry should have been more clear; I wasn't referring to your current prescription drug level. :haha: :haha:

I meant the receive level which is the '7 dBmv' reading from your diag page.

If the plant or mainline levels are hot on your run, then the colder periods could be putting one or more of the amplifiers over the edge and that will cause distortions in the signals.

This may be the case, but not the only possibility.