Bright House Tampa Bay rings in a very Happy New Year to most customers for 2006

Guest thecableguy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see my responsibility to do this.

i never said you were responsible for it, but it would be the responsible thing to do. besides, you would be helping out a guy that has at least one guy and possibly more leaching his speed. he is probably wondering why his net is always so much slower than advertised speeds. and if one of the leechers dl's stuff in violation of the law he ends up responsible for it.

help educate the world one user at a time. and i'm not telling you to rat out amc, just to inform bright house that they have a user that needs help.

You never mentioned anything about cable rates.  Besides, there are 3 cable companies in this area, check the prices, they are all within about $4.00 of each other on the average persons bill.  You want to complain about something.  Complain about the state, local and federal taxes that must be added to each and every cable bill.  On the average it's about $4.00 for the state, $4.90 for the local and about $2.10 for federal.  And thats not per year.....but per month. 

yeah i guess or i can just install a splitter on someones cable and get it for free as well :evil6:

of course i have no clue on how to do this and would never do it even if i new how

Guest thecableguy

yeah i guess or i can just install a splitter on someones cable and get it for free as well :evil6:

of course i have no clue on how to do this and would never do it even if i new how

Then how do you know what a splitter is and how it would be used for exactly that purpose?  stop while you are ahead....your case was better when you appeared to just a be a clueless kid trying to have some fun at the neighbors expense.  Anyway...this is way off topic....the original topic was that people in this market are getting a break this year.  And that's good news any way ya slice it.

Have a happy.....

splitters only work for the analog cable. digital cable usually has a settop box like directv or dish network that has one decoder card per box to descramble the signal, deal with pay-per-view etc. etc.etc.

Then how do you know what a splitter is and how it would be used for exactly that purpose?  stop while you are ahead....your case was better when you appeared to just a be a clueless kid trying to have some fun at the neighbors expense.  Anyway...this is way off topic....the original topic was that people in this market are getting a break this year.  And that's good news any way ya slice it.

Have a happy.....

ummm.....actually i learned this from a sitcom.. i would never actually do this

Guest thecableguy

The perfect response.

They might just give him a $20 for helpin them out.  Then again they could be the paranoid clueless neighbor from **** who freaks out upon the news and has the cops there in 20 minutes.  Ahhh the risks we take just being honest.....makes life spicey don't ya think!

now he walks over tp the neighbor, gives his spiel, and it turns out that the guys router /is/ secured. so now the person who's implied consent to use the connection he had isn't the one that has the connection he is using. uh oh. how will the other guy who'm he doesn't know so well react when he tells him that he has 'accidentally' used his connection.... :evil6:

Guest thecableguy

I think that is enough arguments for today

Now AMC, helping the neighbor lock his network down does not mean you also keep a copy of the WEP key (assuming you use only WEP...please.....don't just use WEP....hackable in minutes in most cases).  Just messin with ya.....you are a good sport....keep it up....exploring and being curious is good, just be prepared for what you might find and always do the right thing in the end....

Guest thecableguy

now he walks over tp the neighbor, gives his spiel, and it turns out that the guys router /is/ secured. so now the person who's implied consent to use the connection he had isn't the one that has the connection he is using. uh oh. how will the other guy who'm he doesn't know so well react when he tells him that he has 'accidentally' used his connection.... :evil6:

Yer eeevillll!

lack of knowledge of a security problem is not trust. it's ignorance. why do you think aohell is still in business. because there are many people out there that just don't know any better.

every open network in range of you is probably the result of the user buying a router tyo hook up the 2 or 3 desktops in his house and the wireless being on unsecured by default. he comes home from radio shack where they of course sell him the more pricey wireless model router and plugs it in and voila! free internet for anyone in range. without his knowledge, hence without his trust.

Guest thecableguy

lack of knowledge of a security problem is not trust. it's ignorance. why do you think aohell is still in business. because there are many people out there that just don't know any better.

every open network in range of you is probably the result of the user buying a router tyo hook up the 2 or 3 desktops in his house and the wireless being on unsecured by default. he comes home from radio shack where they of course sell him the more pricey wireless model router and plugs it in and voila! free internet for anyone in range. without his knowledge, hence without his trust.

And I always thought that AOLHELL was still in business because its nearly impossible to get them to stop billing your credit card......shy of closing the credit card account that is....

exactly the kind of people that inadvertently run a wireless access point.

True, but then, how would you know to secure the signal if you don't know anything about the technology, and nobody has told you?  I think that maybe the fault is the lack of education on the end of the vendor or ISP.  Then again, the router probably comes with a manual....

Guest thecableguy

exactly the kind of people that inadvertently run a wireless access point.

Actually, most AOL Broadband customers who actually pay a local ISP for an AOL specific account are VPN tunnled to AOL.