Intel Drops Logo After 37 Years

ROM-DOS

Intel Drops Logo After 37 Years

Intel Corp. is launching a new corporate and brand identity that will include a reworked company logo, a change in its ubiquitous "Intel Inside" stickers and a shift away from the Pentium name for its microprocessors.

The changes, which will be formally announced Tuesday, come as the world's largest chip maker tries to market itself less as a chip outfit and more as a provider of platforms, such as its Centrino technology for notebook computers or its upcoming Viiv for entertainment PCs.

In one move, the company is removing the familiar dropped "e" from its logo, which has been little changed since the company was founded in 1968 by Gordon Moore and Robert Noyce. And like the recently revamped AT&T Inc. logo, the letters that make up "Intel" appear in lower case.

Intel also is simplifying the "Intel Inside" stickers that first appeared on PCs in 1991 under then CEO-Andy Grove. But the marketing program in which Intel subsidizes PC makers who use Intel chips and stickers will continue, Intel spokesman Bill Calder said.

Intel, based in Santa Clara, also is announcing that its next-generation processors for mobile computers will be called "Core" rather than "Pentium M." Processors with a single computing engine will be known as "Core Solo," while chips with two engines will be called "Core Duo."

Eventually, it's expected Intel will completely retire the Pentium brand that was introduced in 1993.

The company's logo will also include a tag line, "Leap ahead." It's "a simple expression that declares who we are and what we do," said Eric Kim, Intel's chief marketing officer, who joined Intel last year from Samsung.

I don't like Intel much, I don't know why but anyway. I like the old logo better. Also I'm not trying to argue but I think this is a cool backstorie. Lemmings, famous for committing suicide by following each other to destruction, in reality do not do this. The story got started when a documentary was being shot by Disney I think and they kinda "encouraged" the poor little things over a cliff. Nice post ROM. :D

I dont think this is going to work at all...  Intel Inside has to be one of the most recognizable slogans in the last 15 or so years... I understand that they want a new face but still why would you get rid of something that has been with you from the start?

As far as the new slogan here is what the business people from bloomberg are saying..

Intel's image change, to coincide with next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, is part of an effort by new Chief Executive Officer Paul Otellini to push Intel into home entertainment. The company, whose processors run more than 80 percent of personal computers, is trying to gain a foothold in the consumer market to counter slowing growth in PC chips.

``Intel has been struggling to find a way out of PCs for the last six or seven years,'' said Eric Ross, an analyst at ThinkEquity Partners in New York, who rates the stock ``buy'' and doesn't own it. ``I never dreamed they'd drop `Intel Inside.' Their marketing has been exceptionally successful.''

The change in Intel's brand is the first step in a $2.5 billion marketing campaign, BusinessWeek reported earlier, without making clear where it got the information. Intel spokesman Bill Calder declined to comment on the number.

Intel also plans to introduce a new chip, which will be called ``Core,'' to complement its Centrino laptop and Viiv home entertainment components.

After averaging growth of more than 13 percent for three years, Intel is expected to increase sales 8 percent next year to about $42.3 billion, according to analysts' estimates.

Broader Changes

The new logo reflects broader changes inside Intel. Otellini, who took over from Craig Barrett in May, is the first company leader without a background in science or engineering.

In January, Otellini began Intel's largest reorganization since its founding in 1968. He created business divisions, including one called digital home, based on the uses of Intel chips, and said he is making the company ``outward facing'' rather than focused on producing faster semiconductors.

``Otellini isn't a technologist,'' Ross said. ``He has more of a marketing and sales background. He's attacking the problem from a different angle. A good brand in consumer electronics can double your margins, even with the same components. That's something Sony did for years.''

Central to Otellini's plan for Intel's future growth is getting the PC into the living room to replace digital video recorders, videocassette recorders, satellite set-top boxes and other home entertainment products.

The first step came with the announcement of the `Viiv'' chips and platform in August. The chips and label will go with home PCs that let users download music and films to be played and shown on home audio systems and televisions. Otellini is expected to unveil new products next week at the Las Vegas convention.

The most important thing that does bring up was that when intel introduced the "Intel Inside" slogan it was suppose to mean that it didn't matter what the brand of the computer it was as long as had an Intel Inside you were getting a great computer.

With dominance of AMD in the past few years it doesn't supprise me to much that Intel is trying to make a move on AMD.  So far even the new 65nm dual core (Pentium Extreme Edition 955) from Intel has yet to top the 4800+ X2 from AMD.  Does it beat it.. yes slightly..  But it isn't going to take over the market anytime soon.  Remember.. the is the EE version that we are talking about..

This is good.. http://LEAPSBEYOND.COM ...  Hmm.. maybe this wasnt such as great idea..

I don't like Intel much, I don't know why but anyway. I like the old logo better.

I would have to agree with Shug..  I dont find Intel's advancements in the desktop arena all that impressive.  Notebooks.. different story..

I was checking out theinquirer.net.. their article says that there is already a register trademark using that phrase "leap ahead"

here is the link..

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=qa6ann.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=Leap+Ahead&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Looks like the auto one is dead but the Leap Ahead Readers is live and does not register "readers" as part of their trademark..

if you really think about and look at its not bad, because they are making hte jump to multi core processors so they are leaping ahead of what they had before.

+ they are getting ready to offer there processor on the mac, i think alot of the change in intel is because of that too.

That is an excellent point.. With CES 2006 just around the corner it would make sense for them to sell the fact that they are going to be the sole provider for processors on the MAC platform..  However, I think that it would have made a bigger splash with the Intel Inside slogan still on the badge of those cases.

BTW it is expected that Apple makes an announcement at CES that they are switching over production on some models to the Intel based processors.  Which ones.. no one can say for sure.

Eric Kim, Intel's chief marketing officer still has more work to do in my opinion. I always like the Intel Inside badge along with their logo. Perhaps we can use Flash and Adobe to come up with a logo for the next generation dual-core processors.

TheHalf

only sad thing about intel powered macs is the way apple announced it would protect its os. it would have been nice to have macos running on intel architechture and then be able to go and buy a copy of it for my pc to have a real alternative to windows that isn't some cockeyed opensource conglomerate of ideas.

only sad thing about intel powered macs is the way apple announced it would protect its os. it would have been nice to have macos running on intel architechture and then be able to go and buy a copy of it for my pc to have a real alternative to windows that isn't some cockeyed opensource conglomerate of ideas.

Finally, Someone I can agree with about Linux.....