Ideas why?

Gregorama

Today, I decided to raid my old computer and salvage what useful parts I could find. I took out a hard drive and a dvd rom. I installed the old hard drive as a slave drive on this computer, and everything worked out fine. When I installed the dvd rom (There's only one cd drive currently, which is a CD/DVD RW) I can't get past my bios. It keeps trying to search for a master drive. Once I take out the dvd rom, everything loads up fine.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

It starts searching for a master harddrive or CD-rom? If it's searching for a master harddrive, I have no clue.

If it's searching for a master cd-rom, I'm not too sure. Is that the only one connected, or is it a second one hooked up to the computer? I don't think it matters which connection a CD drive is on on the IDE cable. However, if it's one you added and changed the order on the cable, try hooking it up how it was and putting the salvaged one of the slave connection.

dood....cd roms and dvd roms should i have jumpers, are you sure you have both cd roms hooked up to the same data ribbon? thats the only thing that will give you problems

check the cd rom jumpers and check thecable, DONT let it be connected to the HD IDE cable...especially fi they are both set at master.....

:)

Yes, both cd drives are hooked up to the same data ribbon. I'm still not understanding why it won't detect them when I have it installed. I got it to actually start up with the dvd rom in it, but when it's in, my computer doesn't detect either disc tray, just the hard drives. And once I take out the dvd rom, everything boots up correctly, and the two hard drives and dvd burner work.

Suggestions?

I just checked. There are jumpers. :oops:

I bet that's your problem. Make sure the drive connected to the end of your cable has the master jumper configuration and the drive connected half way down the cable has the slave jumper configuration. If the jumpers are set incorrectly, they won't get read right. Whether that would cause your system to stop at the BIOS, I guess we'll see. :lol: