Building for speed

lorne

Ok i know you might scream but I think that the Athlon 64 FX-51 might not be the chip that I would use for the pimputer. After surfing Extemetech.com for a little while I found this artical. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1426496,00.asp Athlon 64 3400+. Not only are they running the 3400+, 3200+, FX-51, and the intel 3.2 extreme from what i can tell, but they are also running the Asus mobo that seems to be the mobo of the pimputer, 2x256 ddr pc3200 kingston memory chips and 2x 36 gig westen digital raptors on raid 0. 8) Now the graphic card isnt the 9800xt but who cares.

After looking at the results and the price. This may amaze you... The 3400+ is the fastest by a large margin. :shock: Lets put it this way. The 3400+ kept up with or beat the fx-51 and the 3.2 intel. Even in GAMING!!! :twisted: Take a look and be the judge... I think the right chip for the pimputer is the 3400+. :D

By the way the FX-51 is $733.00 and the 3400+ is only $429.00 the 3.2extreme is $985.00

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimmer 8)

AHHHH lol

That's funny you posted that, because I was reading up on the Athlon 64 3400+ last night and was going to ask you about it today :) Yeah it beat the intel 3.2 extreme in every game test, some of them it really kicked the intels ass :twisted: And it looks like it responds alot better to OCing than the FX-51. Because I know I'm going to want to play around with that in the future 8)

This is going to sound funny but how can I tell if the memory I'm looking at is Dual Channel or single :oops:

Mort 8)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for a PiMPuter :D

Umm... you know what that is a really good question. I believe that if the ram is DDR is capable of being dual channel with any manufacturer. You just have to buy the same size and speed!! Then that would effectivly create Dual Channel. Mort am i correct on this???

ANTEC Performance PLUSVIEW LE (Limited Edition) with Side Window Snap-On Fan Clips & Antec Case Straps, Model "PLUSVIEW1000AMG LE" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Case Type: Fits standard ATX / Xeon (PIII Core) / Pentium 4

Color: Antec Metallic Gray AMG color

Material: Steel

Drive Bays: 5.25'' x4,3.5''(External) x2,3.5''(Internal) x4

Expansion Slots: 7

Front Ports: USB1.1 x2,IEEE1394 x1

Power Supply: N/A

Cooling System: 2 Rear Standard

Motherboard Compatibility: Standard ATX

Dimensions: 20.6''Hx8.1''Wx18.6''D more info>

case.jpg

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL, Retail

Specifications:

Model: PX-708A/SW-B

Write Speed: 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW

Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM/CD-R, 12X DVD-ROM

Interface: Internal IDE

Buffer: 2 MB

OS Support: Windows XP/ ME/ 2000/ 98SE

Features: Lossless linking technology, Buffer Underrun Proof technology

Remark: Retail Pack (see pictures for details) more info>

ASUS BLACK 52X CD-ROM DRIVE, Model CD-S520, Retail

Specifications:

Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM

Interface: E-IDE/ATAPI

Buffer: 128KB

Access Time: 80 ms typical

Data Transfer Rate: 3,450KBps (23X) - 7,800KBps (52X)

Features: Unique proprietary DDSS II suspension design for better vibration control

2xWestern Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

Specifications:

Capacity: 74GB

Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms

Buffer: 8MB

Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM

Interface: Serial ATA

Features: High Performance SATA Interface

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200

Specification

Manufacturer: OCZ

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM

Error Checking: ECC

Registered/Unbuffered: Registered

Cas Latency: 2-2-3-6

Support Voltage: 2.6V

Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

Organization: two 64M x 72-Bit

Special Features: Specially Engineered and Optimized for the AMD Athlon64 FX platform

Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 754 AMD Athlon64 Processors

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237

FSB: Hyper Transport

RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266(ECC) Max 3GB

IDE: 3x UltraDMA 133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI

Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),SPDIF Out,Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: AD1980 6-Channel

Onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 10/100/1000Mbps

Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA Ports; RAID 0,1(2 SATA)/RAID 0,1,0+1(1x ATA133 & other 2 SATA)

Onboard 1394: VIA VT6307, 2 ports

mobo.jpg

Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Type: ATX

Maximum Power: 550W

PFC: No

Power Good Signal: 100-500ms

Hold-up Time: > 17ms at Full Load

Efficiency: > 68%

Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.5V;+3.3V trip point<+4.1V;+12V trip point<+14.4V

Overload Protection: Latching Protection+5V @<47A;+3.3V @ <48A;+12V @ <18A

Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC

Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz

Input Current: 10.0A for 115VAC;6.0A for 230VAC

Output: +3.3V@32A;+5V@40A;[email protected];+12V@24A;-12V@1A;+5VSB@2A

MTBF: 80,000 hrs. @ 25

Swimmer 8)

That is SWEEEET :!:

Can you put some links in so we all can imagine what this PiMPuter would look like :twisted: I don't know what you do or what your going to do for a living, but I know what you should do :D You sure you got that $$ right :twisted: DAMN :twisted:

This is just a hobby..... :cry:8) i will not be building anything like this for some time. But I love to help people with this type of stuff. Check out my rigs spec under the hardware thing about benchmarking a amd and intel celeron. :twisted:

MiniPimps,

was unable to help with problem or PM you if anything changes I will let you know.Also had problem signing in....this new stuff looks looks better than two naked virgins~~~~~well almost...hehe!Whats the price of admission and when do you start on the compimpster.

8) microwave

Yeah... I have 2 foot warmers the graphic card and the ps. 550 watts of power!!!!!!! yeah baby yeah!! :lol: The graphics card i have no idea what the point of the 2 fans are. The processor is running stock so my guess is that Asus knew everyone and their brother was going to overclock the thing and included a massive cooling solution. I havent heard anything bad about it yet either. Everyone was complaining about the fx5900s when they took up a pci slot and the agp slot. I hope it doesnt sound like a weedwacker!!! :lol: I will not be building this any time soon.. No $$ right now. :cry:

Yeah... I have 2 foot warmers the graphic card and the ps. 550 watts of power!!!!!!! yeah baby yeah!! lol The graphics card i have no idea what the point of the 2 fans are. The processor is running stock so my guess is that Asus knew everyone and their brother was going to overclock the thing and included a massive cooling solution. I havent heard anything bad about it yet either. Everyone was complaining about the fx5900s when they took up a pci slot and the agp slot. I hope it doesnt sound like a weedwacker!!! lol I will not be building this any time soon.. No $$ right now. cry

Ithink your right it may have been fo OC, but I think I read somewhere also for redundancy, either way its a good thing right.

8) microwave

Swimmer 8)

Special Features: Specially Engineered and Optimized for the AMD Athlon64 FX platform

Since this memory was engineered for the FX, do you think it will hane any clashes with the 3400+ :?:

Where are you seeing that?? O on my system. I dont think that will effect the proformance. The FX chip has a 128bit memory controller and the 3400+ is only a 64bit controller. The only difference that i can tell is that the highest memory bandwidth achieved by the fx chip is two time that of the 3400+. My guess is that the memory is clocked in a way to provide more responce and shorter access times for the increased memory bandwidth. Good question!!! I will look further into this some time today!

The optimizations are probably just tighter standard ram timings, which you can do by yourself in the bios. (Commin up with pimpest comp yet, hang on). And yes, that's the way dual channel works. 2 EXACT Same sticks of ram from same manufacturer with the same timings and same clock speeds are needed. I was doing some research and found that you can't do dual channel with 3 sticks, Having 2x as much ram in one channel than the other just doesn't work very well. Only thing I can see to do with that mobo is change the northbridge Heatsink; mass heat from high fsb's and if you OC it, it may be wisest to put on a Zalhman.

Mort 8)

Maybe i could just go with two sticks of 512 run them dual and leave the third slot empty, would that work :?: I don't think there is going to be a heatsink cause everything is going to be liquid cooled, but i could be wrong :?:

The 2x512 is pretty standard on dual channel setups. If you do you the Asus motherboard there is a preinstalled heatsink on the Northbridge. You can leave it or change it out for a liquid one. It will not make any noise becasue it is passive.