Building for speed

lorne

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mort 8)

Of course faster is better and that is what the Pimputer is all about so I would go with the RAID 0. Just curious to see how much of a difference ther is I have been looking around to see if i could find anything on the differences in speed, but have come up empty handed. Thanks for the help :)

what do you guys think of this memory :twisted:

The TwinX1024RE-3200LL is a 1 GByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards supporting dual channels of registered PC3200, such as AMD Athlon TM 64 FX based platforms.

Specification

Manufacturer: Corsair

Speed: DDR400(PC3200) :headbang:

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM

Error Checking: ECC

Registered/Unbuffered: Registered

Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6

Support Voltage: 2.6V

Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

Organization: two 64M x 72 -Bit

Special Features: Plug-n-Frag Auto-Configuration

Warranty: Lifetime

COMPARED TO :)

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200

Specification

Manufacturer: OCZ

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM :headbang:

Cas Latency: 2-2-3-6

Organization: two 64M x 72-Bit

Special Features: Specially Engineered and Optimized for the AMD Athlon64 FX platform

COMPARED TO :)

MUSHKIN 184 pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 LEVEL 2 DUAL PACK-RETAIL

Specification

Manufacturer: Mushkin

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM :headbang:

Error Checking: Non-ECC

Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered

Cas Latency: 2-2-2

Support Voltage: 2.5V-2.75V

Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit

Only problem with this one is for best performance you have to manually set cas and voltage. I'll have to see if the K8V Deluxe has those options :?:

What is your guys opinions on these 3 :?:

Non-Registered - ecc Ram can obtain higher bus speeds, and I would go with the Mushkin, but the mobo you have in mind only likes ECC Registered, so I'd go with the OCZ due to it's tighter timings. (But you'll want to change your timings anyway cuz that ram is capable of doin better)

Mort

Here is the response i got from OCZ TECH support on whether this memory was compatible with the PiMPUTER :evil:

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200

Specification

Manufacturer: OCZ

Cas Latency: 2-2-3-6

Organization: two 64M x 72-Bit

Special Features: Specially Engineered and Optimized for the AMD Athlon64 FX platform

RESPONSE :shock:

AMD 64 platform can only use PC3200 non-ECC non-registered or PC3200 non-registered ECC memory. So the item you mentioned is not compatible with your motherboard. If you have any other questions regarding our products, please feel free to let us know. We would be happy to answer them for you.

Super fast response from OCZ support by the way :D

Which also eliminates the Corsair

The TwinX1024RE-3200LL is a 1 GByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards supporting dual channels of registered PC3200, such as AMD Athlon TM 64 FX based platforms.

Specification

PiMPUTER Is going to use the Athlon 64 3400+,

So this is from the Mushkin is it registered or not :?:

Just when I think I'm getting things straightened out :tongue:

Ok that could be both a good and bad thing at the same time. It eliminates some bitchin fast ram, but now you have a lot more choices to pick from. For ultimate speed Go with Non-Registered, Non-ECC. Personally, I'd go with 2x Twin/Mos CL2.5 PC3200 512mb. Those babies OC like a mofo; I'm running them at 220 fsb and 11,2,2,2 timings at only 2.8vDimm. Perfect Non-Reg Non-ECC ram which is faster than hell. Only reason I'm usin 11 and not lower is because nForce2 allows a higher bandwidth and speed with an 11 RAS.

Mort

This is what asus says

3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory

This is what the Asus manual says: The motherboard comes with three Double Data Rate (DDR) Dual Inline Memory Module(DIMM) sockets. These sockets support up to 3GB system memory using 184-pin PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 unbuffered ECC DDR DIMMs and allow up to 5.33GB/s data transfer rate.

Crucial 184 Pin 512MB ECC DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Specification

Manufacturer: Crucial

Registered/Unbuffered: UnbufferedCas Latency: 3

Support Voltage: 2.5V

Organization: 64M x 72 -Bit

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Specification

Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit

Special Features: with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader

This has the same timings as the previous ram that i recommened. However, the only amd processor that can use dual channel memory is the fx-51. That has 128bit memory controller and the 3400+ only has a 64bit one. Meaning, i believe, that you want to buy the biggest chip that you can. :D

Thanks again for all the help guys :D

So it looks like after all this the FX is the way to go :twisted:

So here it is :headbang:

Specification

Model: AMD Athlon 64 FX-51

Core: ClawHammer

Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz

FSB: Integrated into Chip

Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1024K

Voltage: 1.5V

Process: 0.13Micron

Socket: Socket 940

Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

Packaging: Retail Box

MOBO:

Supported CPU: Socket 940 Dual/Single AMD Opteron CPU or Single Athlon64 FX CPU

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237

RAM: 4x DIMM for DDR200/266/333/400MHz Max 8GB(See Details)

IDE: 2x UltraDMA 133 up to 4 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP Pro 8X, 4x PCI 32-bit/33MHz

Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,2xCOM,1xLAN,4xUSB2.0(Rear 2)

Onboard LAN: Broadcom BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet

Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA 150,RAID 0/1

Form Factor: ATX

RAM:

Specification

HDs:x2 Western Digital Raptors 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA

RAID 0 :twisted:

Specifications -

Capacity: 74GB

Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms

Buffer: 8MB

Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM

Interface: Serial ATA

Features: High Performance SATA Interface

Manufacturer Warranty: 5 year

Remark: OEM Drive Only

VID Card:

Asus RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "9800XT/TVD" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: RADEON 9800XT/412MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/730MHz

BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+VIVO+DVI connector

Support 3D API: DirectX

dont go fx yet.... That is what i got from the AMD website i might not be understanding it correctly. Let mort post before the final specs are set in stone. The 3400+ is faster!!

if you want dual channel support the Asus SK8N

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 940 AMD Athlon 64 FX/Opteron 100/200 Processors

Chipset: NVDIA nForce3 Pro150

FSB: Scalable HyperTransport Bus

RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual Channel Reg DDR333/266/200 Max 8GB

IDE: 3x UltraDMA 100/133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI

Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel

Onboard LAN: RealTek 8201BL 10/100Mbps

Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA; Promise

Ok here is the deal... The current Athlon chip does not support dual channel. However, the next chip based on the 90nm process code name "winchester" will!! :D The winchester is base on the socket 939. Rendering the current chip helpless when the new stuff comes out that does support dual channel. Here is amd's processor roadmap.

roadmap11_06_03.gif

Lorne is currently in a tough place. does he build now or wait for the new tech to come out?? I havent read enough about winchester to know detailed specs but i will continue posting if I find something. Here is how i know that winchester will support dual channel. http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/2994

Keep posting for build ideas... 8)

the both combos are the best as of right now. There is no way that that can be disputed other than if you like a different brand, style, etc. However Lorne wanted dual channel memory capibilities. Since the current 3400+ doesnt support it the fx51, the ONLY 64bit dual channel amd processor, is the best choice right now. It isnt as fast. :cry: I think that we are going to see tons of development in the next few years in terms of processors. This side of the market had been pretty dead til the last few months with the release of the 64bit. Knowing that Intel will release a 64bit some time AMD is sure to make their processors faster and the entire speed war starts again. I will hold off to tell you what i think til later today when i have time to look at a few things.

Swimmer 8)

I'm going to go with the 3400+, because I think your right. It is faster :!: Everyday there is another review on it, where it is either equaling the FX or beating it. We just have to find some killer RAM for it :!: And if we see some crazy developments in technology over the next year or 2, which I'm sure that we are going to. Then it will be time for PiMPuter 2 :ar15: HOOYAH :twisted:

Swimmer 8)

I'm going to go with the 3400+, because I think your right. It is faster :!: Everyday there is another review on it, where it is either equaling the FX or beating it. We just have to find some killer RAM for it :!: And if we see some crazy developments in technology over the next year or 2, which I'm sure that we are going to. Then it will be time for PiMPuter 2 :ar15: HOOYAH :twisted:

yeah... there will be some kick ass advancements!!! I think that the 3400+ is the way to go for now! you never know amd could release some crazy chip for the socket 752. As far as the memory:

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Specification

This is my vote.

yeah... there will be some kick ass advancements!!! I think that the 3400+ is the way to go for now! you never know amd could release some crazy chip for the socket 752. As far as the memory:

Specification

This is my vote.

Well...you can't have everything, can you? I'd go with the FX-51 due to its larger L2 cache and support for dual channel, but the 3400+ beats it with a lower price. Ok, I've worked things out, and now, be ready, cuz my dream rig is gonna be revealed!

CPU: Intel P4-C 3ghz

VidCard: Radeon 9800XT 256Mb

MoBo: ABit AI7

Cooling: Prometia Mach 2

Case: Lian Li 65 (Really hard for me, don't think it's the BEST case)

HD's: WD Raptors 72gig Raid 0

PSU: Antec Truepower 550

Ram: 2x Corsair XMS 3500 512mb

Sound: SB Audigy 2 (the best; just too lazy to look it up)

Some spare DVD-Burner.

Voila, that would be my dream PC. Due to it's ability to hit over 3.8+ ghz, that thing is SCREAMING fast!

Mort

Well...you can't have everything, can you? I'd go with the FX-51 due to its larger L2 cache and support for dual channel, but the 3400+ beats it with a lower price. Ok, I've worked things out, and now, be ready, cuz my dream rig is gonna be revealed!

CPU: Intel P4-C 3ghz

VidCard: Radeon 9800XT 256Mb

MoBo: ABit AI7

Cooling: Prometia Mach 2

Case: Lian Li 65 (Really hard for me, don't think it's the BEST case)

HD's: WD Raptors 72gig Raid 0

PSU: Antec Truepower 550

Ram: 2x Corsair XMS 3500 512mb

Sound: SB Audigy 2 (the best; just too lazy to look it up)

Some spare DVD-Burner.

Voila, that would be my dream PC. Due to it's ability to hit over 3.8+ ghz, that thing is SCREAMING fast!

Mort