Building for speed

lorne

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pshaw, maybe when I win the friggen super lotto. Until then I'm not gonna have the 6k$ or so spare for that project. And why not the Extreme Edition you ask? Well, it's because the Extreme Edition doesn't OC quite like the 4-C 3ghz non-EE. It's just with the manufacturing of it. But here's my take on Intel:

Pros: CPU's that can OC like MOTHERS, MEGA FSB, L3 cache

Cons: STEEP PRICE

Which is why I'm using an AMD 1700+ OC'd to over Athlon 3200+ Levels.

Mort

Pshaw, maybe when I win the friggen super lotto. Until then I'm not gonna have the 6k$ or so spare for that project. And why not the Extreme Edition you ask? Well, it's because the Extreme Edition doesn't OC quite like the 4-C 3ghz non-EE. It's just with the manufacturing of it. But here's my take on Intel:

Pros: CPU's that can OC like MOTHERS, MEGA FSB, L3 cache

Cons: STEEP PRICE

Which is why I'm using an AMD 1700+ OC'd to over Athlon 3200+ Levels.

Mort

• 3 weeks later...

------------------------

I am back guys... was gone for over a week on a Mexican Cruise that Cox (well actually HBO) hooked me up with...

By the way... with the growth of the forum I have given my buddy sin0cide ADMIN (cause my fingers are starting to hurt from all this typing :-D)... so he is going to help keep an eye on stuff also... so if he edits/deletes anything or talks shit to any of you (emailing you "hey stop that" or "don't post that")... keep in mind he has the authority to do so :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey great news!!! The 939 winchester is expected to be out quarter 2! For all of you who dont know what this means, it means that Dual channel will be available for the Athlon 64. This is going to offer the same proformance as the FX chip in the memory department but still have the overall speed lead in the processor war. Lorne you might want to wait for this to come out! :evil:

Hey great news!!! The 939 winchester is expected to be out quarter 2! For all of you who dont know what this means, it means that Dual channel will be available for the Athlon 64. This is going to offer the same proformance as the FX chip in the memory department but still have the overall speed lead in the processor war. Lorne you might want to wait for this to come out! :evil:

Swimmer 8)

I was thinking the same thing, it is probably going to be worth the wait. So I think I will wait for Winchester. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the new chips OC better than the current 64 chips. The current 64 chips don't OC well due to locked multipliers and being unable to lock PCI/AGP. As well as some heat issues. The exception is the FX-51 which is unlocked, but still isn't all that OC friendly. :cry: I have heard the new chips are going to be unlocked with a way to lock PCI/AGP speeds. Hopefully this is true. :D

Swimmer 8)

I was thinking the same thing, it is probably going to be worth the wait. So I think I will wait for Winchester. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the new chips OC better than the current 64 chips. The current 64 chips don't OC well due to locked multipliers and being unable to lock PCI/AGP. As well as some heat issues. The exception is the FX-51 which is unlocked, but still isn't all that OC friendly. :cry: I have heard the new chips are going to be unlocked with a way to lock PCI/AGP speeds. Hopefully this is true. :D