Building for speed

lorne

Well the addiction has taken total control :twisted: I'm going to build the fastest comp. that you guys can help me come up with.Mine is just to slow,I'm not capped so i should be able to go faster.Start rolling in the ideas everybody :!:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all... AMD processor (athlon FX is PiMP juice!) and ATI graphics (Radeon 9800 pro RAWKS!) card... SOYO Dragon mother board or any ASUS mother board (gigabyte is cool too)... you also need MAD amounts of ram, 1GB or more of PC2700 DDR or better ~~ can't forget a fast hard drive, don't just go by size, look for seek time to be low and RPM to be high... Need lots of fans and a nice case also, don't go too cheap on that shit because you can ruin your investment...

blah blah :twisted:

Well, first post, might as well make it count. I would go for this following list (or something close to it):

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940 nForce3 MoBo (Gigabit LAN Built IN WOOT)

HDs: 2x Western Digital 30gig SATA Raptors in a Raid 0 Array

Heatsink: Thermalright 900-A

Vid Card: Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb

Memory: 2x Twin/Mos PC 3200 CL2.5 256Mb Dual Channel (Get 3200 not 3700 cuz the ram will be operating faster than cpu fsb and it overclocks like a dream)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 2

CD Burner: If you want/need one take your pick

Power Supply: Coolmax CT-450 450W PSU (450 SHOULD be enough)

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 (Hands Down)

CPU Fan: Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II. (The Best)

Then, depending on if you get a bitchin lucky unlocked CPU, you could oc it to hell. Use a tool called Rivatuner to OC the video Card to get the most out of it as it REALLY helps with fps tests. That should be the best setup that I can think of right now, short of water and phase cooling (phase cooling can get a 3 ghz P4 up to 4.6 ghz as it cools the p4 to -30deg c, but costs a LOT).

Mort

Sounds pretty wicked, now I will be up all night thinking about it.Thanks Mort.Don't know what time it is where you guys are but it's 11:15 here and I don't think I will be sleeping tonight.Any idea what this monster of speed is going ro cost :?: I'm gonna build it regardleess just because it sounds cool 8) But it would be nice to know what I am looking at.

That is one sweet system... I am an AMD fan but according to MaximumPC benchmarks the Intel 3.2 extreme does get better proformance then the new fx amds. I you want to get a sweet computer for about 5,000 or get a sweet display for about 17000 check out http://www.g0-l.com L computers. This system runs at -21 F thanks to a liquid cooling system.

If you want huge amounts of ram just get your self a copy of the new linux kernal. It supports, i think this is correct but dont quote me, 10 terrabites of memory. Is that enough for you?? All you need to do is find a mobo that supports all that memory.

Here is the display i was talking about

main.jpg

this is what i would buy if i had the money...

yours for only 17,499.00 :shock: i dont think shipping is included 8)

Yah, www.go-l.com Roolz (if you have the money). I love what they did with Prometeia Cooling on the P4's. 3.2 Ghz P4 one second, 4.2~ P4 Next second. Add that to a FLASH ROM HD BUILT ON THE MOBO and you get data transfer speeds of 10 GIGS A SECOND. That's about loading windows in a second. 4gig flash drive too, there's NOWHERE you can find that mobo in stores (I don't think). My setup I wrote up there is for air cooled only, if you want to go with Prometeia cooling, then you have A. A lot of work ahead and B. a large price tag. Phase Changing cools it to -30~ or so, but read all about a 4.6 ghz P4 on (I forgot where, but they really have a nice site and man, that's MEGA Overclock). Just make sure you get a good batch on your cpu. hdspeed_machl_3.8_full.gif That is just INSANE shit there, but I have no clue how they overclocked a P4 FSB as Intel LOCKS the FSB for their processors, and leaves the multi the only thing unlocked.

One other thing, each monitor being 23", that's a HELL OF A LOT OF SPACE you need, but if you can afford that rig with no worries, then you probably have a mansion somewhere...

D Holy Shit,

Thats what I'm talkin about,This is the most flexed posting I have seen,I'm a fan of the Radeon I haven't heard one neg. comment about it,of course asus is one of the best mobo in my book.....Shit I'm about to get wood~~~I guess if I Had a setup like that I could charge admission!!Love the great ideas being posted (don't stop)It seems like only yesterday I was selling wolf tickets on how hot a silent 700 was..haha

8) microwave

Go big or go home right :?: Or in my case go big but slow. What I am going to do is start from the beginning and build it piece by piece. Because I don't have that big wad of cash to put down, and if I try to save it well that just won't happen. So probably the first and most important piece would be the MOTHER BOARD :twisted: What is the most isanely crazy MOTHERBOARD :twisted: This thing is gonna be nuts even if it takes a year to build and a KD diet 8)

So u want a mobo?? If you are going to go amd i would sugest ASUS K8V Deluxe.

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 754 AMD Athlon64 Processors

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237

FSB: Hyper Transport

RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266(ECC) Max 3GB

IDE: 3x UltraDMA 133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI

Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),SPDIF Out,Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: AD1980 6-Channel

Onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 10/100/1000Mbps

Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA Ports; RAID 0,1(2 SATA)/RAID 0,1,0+1(1x ATA133 & other 2 SATA)

Onboard 1394: VIA VT6307, 2 ports

Form Factor: ATX

No to bad for $137.00 from newegg.com the best place to get computer hardware. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-473&catalog=22&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8v-d/overview.htm Asus' website link

Be be ready to put down another 250 to 400 for the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ depending on the L2 cache you want 512k or 1mb.

If you do get a ata mobo get ata powersupply!! An enight EN-500XP will do the trick. Remember building a sweet computer means that you are willing to spend the big bucks on the small things cables, powersupply, case, cooling!

Happy hunting check out newegg.com they will ship anywhere and have really great prices! :D

O ya.... a copy of windows xp using the 64bit architecture should be coming soon!! So you will be able to experience this beast with out having to wait for the rest of us to get rid of the pII 500s and the pc133 ram.

That certainly is one sexy mobo indeed, and I certainly can't find competition for that price, with all those features (4 SATA ports ROCK). Asus makes killer mobo's indeed, and the ViA chipset will bring the same performance (or maybe better) than an nForce 3 at a lower price. But you'll need a CPU to match that killer mobo, and I could suggest no other than the Athlon-64 FX-51 ( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=manufactory&catalog=343&manufactory=1028&description=&page=3&listStyle=2 ). 1Mb L2 and 2.2 Ghz...beautiful.

Mort

Thanks guys keep it coming, know any sites for cool covers I've been looking and found some pretty cool ones, but none that really smack you in the face :twisted: This beast gonna be alright with fans or am i gonna hav to liquid cool it :?: That sounds cool I never seen a liquid cooled computer, gues that might be because I live in hickville 8)

Mort,

You have the right idea accept it has to be and athlon that is the 64 bit architecture. The difference is socket 970 vs 754. The asus board supports the 754 socket. That would suck if you were to buy the 970 socket and that mobo.

Yipe! My mistake, thought it was for socket 940 when i quickly went over it. Yah, getting that cpu and mobo would be a tragedy when you find you can't use the two. Hmm....I remember why nForce has a weird edge on ViA; it can overclock CPU's to be more stable than ViA in some tests, at least with the nForce2 it unlocks the core of (forgot the name at the time, Below Barton) CPU's; like the 1700+ JIUHB.

Mort

I think you are talking about the Palomino core.? It is true that Nvidia based boards are more reliable for overclocking...however via has made huge strides to improve their chips to make overclocking easier. The Asus board that i recommended was the winner of a shoot out over at tom's hardware. This board won due to the easy of expansion and overclocking.

If you want an Nvidia compairson check out this tom's hardware artical. http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040105/athlon64-14.html

If you want overclocking news check out their artical on the 5.25 ghz p4!!! This is right you are seeing correctly 5.25 ghz using liquid nitrogen for cooling but either way...Check it out :D

Not palmino, but Thoroughbred. The nForce2 OC's it without the need for a hardware mod to get over 13 multi. Yah, those guys at tom's are insane, that liquid nitrogen cooling is insane, but they werent able to run benches, but hell, being able to get into windows at that speed is insane on it's own.

Mort