Building for speed

lorne

Here is a combo I put together let me know if you see anything wrong with it or if anything could be improved.

PROCESSOR

Specification

Model: AMD Athlon 64 FX-51

Core: ClawHammer

Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz

FSB: Integrateded into Chip

Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1024K

Voltage: 1.5V

Process: 0.13Micron

Socket: Socket 940

MOBO

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 940 AMD Athlon 64 FX/Opteron 100/200 Processors

Chipset: NVDIA nForce3 Pro150

FSB: Scalable HyperTransport Bus

RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual Channel Reg DDR333/266/200 Max 8GB

IDE: 3x UltraDMA 100/133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI

Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel

Onboard LAN: RealTek 8201BL 10/100Mbps

Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA; Promise

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a bad system... a few things. Ram the mobo supports ddr400 and you are going to get ddr500?? you dont need the raid card it is onboard. Onboard=fast when it comes to raid it is build into the southbridge so less access time. nic card sucks ass. get a 10/100/1000 card so that you will be complient with the new standards and this machine can scream on networks. Who makes the sound card?? you have the right idea!! it would be one really fast computer!! Love the maxtor drive that are one of the best drive companies out there!

Personally i am an Asus VIA(allways have used VIA) fan so the k8t800 is my vote

Supported CPU: Single Socket 940 AMD Athlon64 FX Processors

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VIA VT8237

FSB: Scalable HyperTransport

RAM: 3x DIMM for Registered ECC DDR400/333/266 Max 8GB IDE : 3x UltraDMA 133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1x WiFi

Ports: 2xPS2, 1xLPT, SPDIF Out, 1xCOM, 8xUSB2.0(Rear 4), 1xLAN, 2xIEEE1394(Rear 1), Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: ADI AD1985, 6-channel CODEC

Onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 Gigabit EthernetOnboard SATA/RAID: 2x SATA, RAID0/1; 2x SATA, RAID 0/1/0+1(Total 4 Serial ATA)

Dont forget a good case and a great powersupply to power this baby!!

For a modem i would go linksys, aka cisco, or a motorola sb5100. I have the motorola it works with out a flaw!!

I love seeing people who use newegg.com! :D:twisted:

Thanks for the help Swimmer. The sound card is made by Creative Labs.ddr500 oops :!: I think I like your mobo better. Power supply I was looking at wasEnermax EG651P-VE FM 550w power supply 20/24 pin dual AMD/xeon P4 ready. Got a idea for a kick ass NIC :?:

Personally I would change a few things:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940 nForce3 :

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 940 AMD Athlon64 FX CPU

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce3 150 + ITE IT8712F I/O Chip

RAM: 4x DIMM DDR400/333/266 Max 3GB

IDE: 4x UltraDMA 66/100/133 up to 8 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI, 1x DPS

Ports: 2xPS2,2xCOM,1xLPT,2xLAN,4xUSB2.0(Rear 2)),3xIEEE1394b(via headers),Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC658 6-Channel AC97 Codec

Onboard LAN: Realtek 8110S 10/100/1000M + Realtek 8201 10/100M

Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA

Onboard 1394: T.I. IEEE1394 Controller

Form Factor: ATX

Ram: The CPU Will NEVER Be able to reach that speed (DDR500) so to make it more price efficient, go with 2xTwin/Mos CL2.5 256Mb Sticks. Remember, use 256 Mb sticks cuz nForce has some issues with 512Mb sticks.

HD: Get rid of that HD and go with one which is just ATA. For TRUE HD's, go with Dual WD Raptors in a Raid 0 array:

Capacity: 74GB

Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms

Buffer: 8MB

Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM

Interface: Serial ATA

Features: High Performance SATA Interface

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Remark: OEM Drive Only (limit 2 per customer)

Model# WD740GD

Item# N82E16822144160

Those things benchmark at around 110Mb/sec transfer speeds, DAMN NICE!

Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Channels: 7.1

Max Sampling Rate: 192kHz

Signal-Noise Ratio: 108dB(SNR)

Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital EX

Digital Audio: 24-bit

Hardware Polyphony: 64 Voices

PC Interface: PCI

Connectors: Digital Out for 5.1(6-channel SPDIF Output),Line-Out,Line-In,SB1394/Firewire,Mic-In,Analog/Digital CD Audio In(See Details)

External Box: Yes

Remote Control: Yes

Package included: See pics

Special Features: DVD-Audio,THX Certified,DTS-Extended Surround,EAX 4.0 Advanced HD,DirectSound 3D

Model# 70SB035000003

No Need for a dialup modem, and the mobo I suggested has GIGABIT lan on it already (woot!) and you could have some FAST HD's and a massive storage device at your finger tips with the rig we have planned.

Mort

Thanks for the help Mortiorchis. This is alot of info for me to think about, im not really worried about cost efficiency since i am going to take awhile to build it, so if there is something that will work better im all for it. I just want the fastest comp I can build as long as it doesnt cost 17,000$lol

RAID rules,

RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is a means of Fault Tolerance. There are various methods to arranging an RAID array. It's basically two or more hard drives that replicate data to the string of hard drives so in the event should a hard drive fail, you have another back up.

It is also screaming fast! :twisted: As for the western digital drives they are the fastest but are limited by their size. Personally ata is fast and an ata raid system would be even faster. So the need for some small drive that is fast doesnt make sense. I would go bigger and just raid them. that way you get storage and the speed.

the fastest drives on the market are the Western digital drives that mort posted. They run at 10000 rpm and are on the ata bus. That is moving my friend. Although the maxtor drive that you picked out would proform really well. You get more storage and the advantage of ata. The Maxtor is a 7200 rpm drive so it is about 2800 rpm slower. The problem is that 10000 rpm drives produce a lot of heat!!! But the proformance is upped a little. Overall if you are not moving big files or saving huge files i wouldnt go with the 10000 rpm drives.

Currently i dont believe that there is anything faster then a 10000 rpm drive on ata raid. I know that SCSI has broken the 10000 barrier but for like a 140 gb 15000 rpm SCSI drive you would need to shell out about $600. Worth it?? not really. I dont even know if you can buy a retail motherboard with SCSI built in. ??

I have to go i will finish tomorrow.

I looked and I couldn't find mobo with SCSI built in. As for moving huge files and all that It's hard to say what I'll be doing wit it in the future, so I will probably go with wd raptor 10,000 RAID. Do you know of a good mag to learn from, I spend half the night trying to learn what all these specs mean and how things work everytime something new gets posted. And I am falling wayyyy behind :( All the help is greatly appreciated. :D

Hizzim....Well there are 2 main types of RAID arrays: Raid 0 and Raid 1.

Raid 0: You take two drives and turn them into 1. You need EXACTLY the same model/storage for the raid 0 to be functional, but it doubles the write/read speed of your files (2 HD'S reading at once instead of 1). Typically the larger the drive, the slower the speeds as seek times go up. They're typically striped in 16k or 32k for best performance with P2P-Discard time usually at 30us.

Raid 1: This is mainly used for MASSIVE data storage. You take the two disks and turn them into 1 for windows, but what happens is it writes the exact same data to both at the same time. LARGE Performance drop, but if you need to backup mass amounts of data with a redundant mirror, thats the way. Not recommended unless you're a business needing to backup a huge server of things (records + such), or you're paranoid about your files becomming corrupted.

So what your saying is that this would be the fastest way to go:

Dual WD Raptors in a Raid 0 array:

Capacity: 74GB

Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms

Buffer: 8MB

Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM

Interface: Serial ATA

Features: High Performance SATA Interface

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Remark: OEM Drive Only (limit 2 per customer)

Model# WD740GD

Item# N82E16822144160

Those things benchmark at around 110Mb/sec transfer speeds, DAMN NICE

Would this mobo work with this :?:

Supported CPU: Single Socket 940 AMD Athlon64 FX Processors

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VIA VT8237

FSB: Scalable HyperTransport

RAM: 3x DIMM for Registered ECC DDR400/333/266 Max 8GB IDE : 3x UltraDMA 133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI , 1x WiFi

Ports: 2xPS2, 1xLPT, SPDIF Out, 1xCOM, 8xUSB2.0(Rear 4), 1xLAN, 2xIEEE1394(Rear 1), Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: ADI AD1985, 6-channel CODEC

Onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x SATA, RAID0/1; 2x SATA, RAID 0/1/0+1(Total 4 Serial ATA)

Sweet 8) So which one is faster:

The Maxtor Atlas 10K IV: Transfer spd:72 Mb/sec

capacity: Up to 147.1 GB

WD Raptor: Transfer:1,200 Mbits/sec=140Mb/sec Did I do my math right :) Capacity: 74 GB

:twisted::twisted:

Well I think its always better to go liquid if ya can,liquid just has the capacity to keep everything at a cooler and more constant temp. little or no variation in comparison to fans.Like computer rooms that are always air conditioned,thats to save the wear and tear on the machines.(not just for techies to hang out)I was taught that temp variations can take half the life away from componets(hot)along with other things like humidity elevation etc.Supposedly airplanes are pressurized to stop destruction of things some PCB will be no good being in cargo hold at 35,000 feet without pressurization

blah blah.

8) microwave

The liquid nitro is very expensive IE used by military can be cooled with water also.it would depend on your setup.Remember water is pretty cool(science)it can be solid,liquid or gas at least thats what Mr. Wizard said.They also have a liquid which the CPU and all is immersed in this stuff. High dollar!military big co. etc.for super computers and the like.Thats why I said water although it can have problems its easier to work with.there are alot of ideas being floated but right now most are water cooled,although I'm not talking about an evaporated cooler like people have on their roofs ha ha.

I may have some paper work on some methods I will try to find.

BTW what the hell are you doing up so late?

microwave 8)

Microwave 8)

Never used to stay up this late but ever since I found this site I haven't been able to help myself :twisted: That would be cool :lol: if you could find that info on the water cooling.

Tweeking the night away :D:D

::: Download Stats :::

Connection is: 3011 kbps about 3 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is: 368 Kb/sec

Auth Code: 2045166 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 54 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.78 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?top=&ta=&num=2045166&kbps=3011&gen=gen&a=4&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

Connection is: 2754 kbps about 2.8 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is: 336 Kb/sec

Auth Code: 2041311 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 49 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.05 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?top=&ta=&num=2041311&kbps=2754&gen=gen&a=4&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

Connection is: 3285 kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is: 401 Kb/sec

Auth Code: 2049276 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 59 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.55 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?top=&ta=&num=2049276&kbps=3285&gen=gen&a=4&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

:twisted::twisted:

WHOAAA Timmy! You won't need a separate cooling for the HD's alone! You dont need liquid cooling at ALL! If you're not overclocking, which the Athlon64 newer models don't do very well, but are such MASS Performers it doesn't really matter anyway, you only need air cooling! You MAY want to change the heatsink on the northbridge to a Vantec Crystal Orb. That'll really help with the heat for northbridge. The HD's, if you get a good case, won't generate enough heat to screw with your setup. But for a REALLY good case, I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-124&catalog=7&depa=1 as a good case. I use one which is very similar to it, except mine came with 4 case fans, not 2, although that has space for 4. It also has fan slots for hd's so it's all good. Thats one bitchin case, so what if it's for servers, it still works for your setup and it's large enough to have perfect room to maneuver in it (and to store all your drives + etc.)