Building for speed

lorne

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimmer 8)

Looks wicked, looks like it wood be lighter than the Koolance stuff. If the temperatures oc ing were kept under control would there be anyother neg effects from oc ing. Another cool link 8)8) Thanks

Umm... I think that is would shorten the cpu life by a while. I mean these things are made to run for years if not centuries. When you do overclock you do run the risk of cracking the dye. Or effectively killing the chip. You need to make sure that you know what you are doing and messing with a chip that costs 700 bucks... I wouldnt risk it. You would still have the fastest pc around. Let the reviewers who get the chips for free fry them. Then, like a year from now, you could start to see what the chip are able to handle that why do dont fry you pimp machine.

Hey Lorne u want to see this baby in action?? Here check this out. http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/asetek/waterchill/video_review.html This guy does video reviews of all the products that he reviews. This happens to be one of the ones he recommends. WARNING THE DOWNLOAD FOR THE MOVIE IS 19.5 mb That shouldnt matter most of us are on broadband! :lol:

Mortiochris )

oooh...that is nice Im a big fan of western dig Raptor with that dual HD is kick ass!Of course that vid card is reallll nice too..Then theres that RAM yeah not bad at all.....as a matter of fact its pretty fuc#$%^ nice yea yea thats the ticket^^^

8) microwave

Here is another try at it :idea: Tell me what you think :D Oh im still working on one for socket 940 to see which one is gonna be better :twisted:

CPU: AMD athlon 64 3200+Processor 2000MHZ

Hds:Dual WD 74 gig SATA RAPTORS in a RAID 0 array

Vid card: RADEON 9800 pro 256 mb

memory:x2 CORSAIR XMS extreme memory 256 mb DDR 400 (pc 3200)

Power: Enermax 550 watt AMD/xeon p4 ready

Soundcard: AUDIGY 2 zs platinum pro w/external hub

Cooling: WATERCHILL cpw/vga/chipset kit

8) or :cry:

OCin' isn't necessary if you get a dope chip in the first place )

Thanks I was kinda afraid to say that, but in my opinion overclocking was useful some time ago when they didn't have that kinda chip power,but now I don't really see as much of a need for overclocking as there once was.Today get the correct chip and the shiz will fly.Plus as everyone knows you ALWAYS have a temp problem...

8) microwave

the most important one factor in building your own tower is SDram keep in mind that memory is very troublesome, so as to eliminate this potenial, let us put only one card on the bus. Hence conflict free! one other plus is max front side buss speed :shock:

Swimmer 8)

Real nice :D

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: RADEON 9800XT/412MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/760MHz

BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector

Support 3D API: DirectX

Fred...no...just no...nForce and typical ViA Chipsets LOVE having 2 sticks of 256mb ram. Hell, nForce2 uses Dual Channel on the ram, effectively doubling the access speeds, and it's management eliminates conflicts ENTIRELY. But, don't use 512mb sticks on nForce cuz it has some problems handling 2x 512 sticks. Don't know about ViA and dual channel cuz I don't own any ViA's, just an nForce2. Also, try to avoid a Motherboard that has issues with certain ram types as I know the Abit NF7-S v2 has some issues with some models of Corsair and Kingston, so do some research on issues. But, Ca3le is right, you have almost NO need to OC if you get a badass chip. One other thing, try to avoid ECC and Registered ram if possible, and also try to get ram with chips on only one side and not 2 as it reduces heat and increases speeds with tighter timings. Also Fred, I can only max this rig to 230 fsb MAX with dual channel and 225 single channel, in all different banks, so 1 stick / 2 sticks, single channel dual channel, 2 dual is the best.

Mort

Been researching my ass off, so let's see if I did a little better with this one :D

SOCKET 940

CPU: Specification

Model: AMD Athlon 64 FX-51

Core: ClawHammer

Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz

FSB: Integrated into Chip

Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1024K

Voltage: 1.5V

Process: 0.13Micron

Socket: Socket 940

MOBO: Specifications:

Supported CPU: Single Socket 940 AMD Athlon64 FX Processors

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VIA VT8237

FSB: Scalable HyperTransport

RAM: 3x DIMM for Registered ECC DDR400/333/266 Max 8GB

IDE : 3x UltraDMA 133 up to 6 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1x WiFi

Ports: 2xPS2, 1xLPT, SPDIF Out, 1xCOM, 8xUSB2.0(Rear 4), 1xLAN, 2xIEEE1394(Rear 1), Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: ADI AD1985, 6-channel CODEC

Onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet

Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x SATA, RAID0/1; 2x SATA, RAID 0/1/0+1(Total 4 Serial ATA)

Form Factor: ATX

VID CARD: Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: RADEON 9800XT/412MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/760MHz

BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector

Support 3D API: DirectX

Looks good to me. How much ram u going to install please tell me over 512mb!!! :D That is a good mobo for this project, Asus K8T800. it says 4x for memory. This mobo only has 3 slots. Try and buy the largest chip you can afford then start adding. So like a 1 gig chip of ram for slot one would be good!! Check out this site http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ+EL+DDR+PC-3200+Platinum+Edition OCZ technologies. They have some of the more agressive timings and settings. :twisted:

Other than that looks like a great system!!! Cosair is also a great memory manufacturer!! 8)

Swimmer 8)

Thanks for the link that helped alot. Don't know why i thought the mobo had 4 slots :?

RAM: 3x DIMM for Registered ECC DDR400/333/266 Max 8GB

It says for registered ECC, is that absolute, or can I use unregistered :?:

This is what I was looking at:

OCZ ENHANCED LATENCY SERIES PLATINUM EDITION 184 Pin 1 GB (512MBx2)

Specification

Manufacturer: OCZ

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM

Error Checking: Non-ECC

Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered

Cas Latency: 2-2-3-5 1T

Support Voltage: 2.6V

Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit

Special Features: Ultra Low Noise shielded PCB

Warranty: Lifetime

:?: How much memory is too much :twisted:

:idea: HEY why don't you guys come up with most PIMPIN combos that you can, It would be interesting to see the different combos you each of you come up with. :twisted: Ca3le 8) Swimmer, 8) Microwave, 8) Mort, 8) And anybody else that think they got what it takes :twisted: Unless of course your scared of the rookie :lol: lol JUST KIDDING

:?: How much memory is too much :twisted:

Some windows versions use such amounts of memory very inefficiently, loading stuff multiple times into the memory... Let's hope Longhorn has improved memory management a bit. :)

Whoaaaa....I don't think that would be too effecient. You'll have the MASSIVE amounts of ram, but it wouldn't be running in dual channel, so it'll have a speed of only around 3.2gb/sec (dual channel = 6.4 gb/s). Only Windows apps and some linux apps use dual channel, but most benchmarks don't have the ability to use the dual channel in benches. I'm not sure, but I don't think it can run dual with 3 sticks...

Mort (PiMP Rig commin up soon)

this mobo it able to run dual channel..??

SK8V DDR333 Memory Qualified Vender List

The following table lists the memory modules that have been tested

and qualified for use with this motherboard.

Size Vendor Part No. Chip Brand DS/SS Chip No. DIMM sock

A* B* C*

256MB .ATP AB32L72Q8SQB3S SAMSUNG SS K4H560838D-TCB3(ECC)REG v v v

512MB ATP AB64L72Q8S8B3S SAMSUNG DS K4H560838D-TCB3(ECC)REG v v v

1024MB ATP AB64L72Q8S8B3S SAMSUNG DS K4H560438D-TCB3(ECC)REG v v v

1024MB ATP AB28L72P4SMB3C Infineon DS HYB25D256400BT-6B(ECC)REG v v v

512MB TwinMOS M2S5J18C2AWB5F0811C-T Winbond DS W942508CH-6(ECC)REG v v v

256MB Kingston KVR333X72RC25/256 Infineon SS HYB25D256809BT-6B(ECC)REG v v  

512MB Kingston KVR333X72RC25/512 Micron DS MT46V64M4TG-6TC(ECC)REG v v v

1024MB Kingston KVR333X72RC25/1024   DS D644DWH-60(ECC)REG v v  

512MB CORSAIR CM72SD512RLP-2700/S SAMSUNG DS K4H560838D-TCB3(ECC)REG v v v

1024MB CORSAIR CM74SD1024RLP-2700/S SAMSUNG DS K4H560438D-TCB3(ECC)REG v v  

256MB Apacer 77.10632.112 Infineon SS HYB25D256800BT-6B(ECC)REG v v v

512MB Apacer 77.10732.112 Infineon DS HYB25D256800BT-6B v v  

1024MB Apacer 78.01053.112 Infineon DS HYB25D256400BC-6SSS26366 v v v

SK8V DDR400 Memory Qualified Vender List

The following table lists the memory modules that have been tested

and qualified for use with this motherboard.

Size Vendor Part No. Chip Brand DS/SS Chip No. DIMM socket support (Optional)

A* B* C*

512MB Samsung M312L6420EG0-CCC Samaung DS K4H560438E-GCCC v v v

512MB Kingston KRX3200K2/1G Kingston DS v v v

A*: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration.

B*: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration.

C*: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and the black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket940/sk8v/overview.htm

You are correct it can not run dual channel with 3 sticks. However the price difference beweet dual channel 1 gig and 512 is huge!!!

For the OCZ Memory Review check here http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/ramstore/ocz_dc_ddr_el_pc_3200/video_review.html