HELP my wireless network wont work correctly!

MasterZymo

I just got a WRT54GX4 today and set it all up. My to wired comps work great, but the wireless wont! It connects to the access point, but cant get the internet. I have MAC ID filtering, a custom SSID (non broadcasted), and WPA/wpa2 personal with AES. If any of my encryptions are wrong tell me. anyway the adapter, a wusb54g v.2 can communicate with the access point, but not find the internet. maybe my settings are wrong?

it used to work with a wrt54g v2.2, so i know its not the adapter.  please help. thanks

ask if you need more info

Try repairing your connection if you have XP sp2 by right clicking the connection and click repair. You also should power cycle your modem and router once you get everything lined out. If all else fails try unplugging your modem and router. Plug in the modem after about 5 minutes. Then after a couple minutes plug your router in and connect to your modem. Let the system set about 3 minutes and then go for it. IMO you dont need all that encryption either. I live in an apartment with 6 wireless connections in my range and most are unprotected. MAC filter and wap is all I used. Unless you have some really sensitive things I wouldnt bother doing all that. You could also dry restoring your router to factory settings and connect, if it works then you just trouble shoot to find out what the problem is. Hope this helps. :D

Ok i am waiting for that now. I was looking through the router options earlier and came across something that said block WAN ping, would that have anything to do with it. I mean the only problem is that on the wireless it says "connection to <network> is excellent" then under the menu for the software it says internet connection not found. is there a way that my router is not sharing it or something? or am i setting up a network wrong maybe?

no i dont have SP2, but the had a repair option anyway. It wont work, fails to renew ip address. my wireless network monitor still says "you are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found"

oh and under the network properties for the connection, it is ONLY reciveing bytes, 0 sent. maybe that helps you. any more ideas? i have to be doing something wrong or something that i can change but i have fooled with it and cant figure it out

Ok it turns out the adapter does not work with ANYTHING (even though it says it does in tha manual) other than wep 64-bit. I do not wish to compromise my security to poachers (there are tons where i live, and very dangerous with this router). And on top of that, i now feel my adapter is holding me back, so i will start a new topic about a good one. thank you for your help though.

Yeah.. It look like linksys released a new one for the v.1 series that supports WPA.. however, the release docs for the v.2 stuff sucks..  I am not sure if the new drivers support WPA or not.  I would try the new drivers and see.

I know for a fact that they will not support WPA2 at all.. So you will be stuck with WPA-PSK.  Which isnt a bad thing.  I am not sure why you would want to run AES on a home network...