WIRELESS HELP PLEASE

GIXXERGUY6

DESKTOP WAS CONNECTED via a pci wmp54gs yesterday with windows status(forgive the crude terms) with 36-48 Mbps, and through the linksys it was saying 48-51 % strength on channel 6. worked fine was surfing at the isp's advertised speeds. down was 5.8 and up was 750, but that is where it stops

I went to work and father in law shut down the wmp54gs connected computer that is in the shop on the other side of the property(we are on adjacent properties 200 ft away) turned it back on this morning and couldn't get on aol.

i got home and he could ge on IE, i went down and aol had switched. i fixed it and it can connect through the cable, internet is working also. We are getting 64% signal today, but with the windows status it is ready anywhere from 54Mbps to 1-2 Mbps wut the hell lol.

can't connect to the internet or aol cept for dial up.

I could access the router setup page from the wireless computer but once I went to change a channel or click on a sub directory in the setup page it popped a screen up about connecting and something else.

why is it losing connection?

the router is a wrt54gs we have a linksys external antenna base with the 7 db antenna on it pointing at the house.

can anyone help me?

oh p.s. no security of any kind is turned on at all.

might have it figured out, I'll have to wait til torrow after work.

but I talked to linksys for the 3 time. damn you can't understand anything those foreign people say. I switched to talking to them over the internet wow.

but anyways the guy told me it might have something to do with windows wireless controller or something might have disabled the linksys program or something, which makes since cuz the linksys application was not green like it was when it was working instead it was grey and there was no activity. so I am going in and trying to set up the xp wireless adapter or whatever lol.

well later guys just thought I was fill you in.

Be sure you don't have any 2.4GHZ phones or any other 2.4GHZ devices nearby.

I had to drive 180 miles to my parents a while back just to move their cordless phone away from their laptop. (Oh, and to visit them also)

Good luck - Also look into Windows Wireless Zero problem (Google it also): http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14903475?hilite=zero

no it's not the phone it's the aliens doing something with the phones lol..

well I wonder if that is some of the issue then.  we have a junk GE 2.4, and over at the other computer there is either a 2.4 or a 900 phone. I think we should just get a 5.8 and it wouldn't interfere! would it?

no it's not the phone it's the aliens doing something with the phones lol..

well I wonder if that is some of the issue then.  we have a junk GE 2.4, and over at the other computer there is either a 2.4 or a 900 phone. I think we should just get a 5.8 and it wouldn't interfere! would it?

I knew it was the aliens listening to us!!!

5.8GHz should be just fine.

Are you going to try to move them apart before you go buy a new phone?

I don't want to be responsible for you wasting your money when the phones weren't the problem and then I gotta look over my shoulder for the rest of my always worried you are going to sneak up on me and nail me over the head with an old 2.4GHz phone....oh man......

:shock:

i think it would cause more damage if I shoved it up your arse, than conking you over the noodle with it lol. OUCH

I might move or unplug the phone tomorrow  and go down to the wireless to see if it will work, but I know one thing.

this wireless stuff is a pain in the arse to get working.

should have just ran a strand of cat6 over there and been done with it.

it's 200ft line of sight or air wut ever you call it. lol

and actually cable feet from router to computer it would have been I think 275-350 or so.

i got it figured out thanks to the non english speaking tech at linksys.

come to find out something or someone changed the ip address and it wasn't obtaining it

got it all working now. woot woot.

now  I just gotta figure out how to link the 2 computers together via the network.

any help?

Does anyone know anything about geek squad, are they good?

Dont use them.. they charge way to much money for what they do..

If you have a laptop try running this program..http://www.netstumbler.com/

It will give you all of the aps in that area.. You might want to consider moving your network to a different channel due to the speed issues..

On other thing that you might want to consider is turning on atleast MAC filtering.  This way you have some control over your network.

Hey GIXXERGUY - do you have the latest firmware installed on that router?

A friend's WRT54G kept loosing connectivity daily until Tuesday when we upgraded to the latest firmware.

So far, he has had zero problems.

just a thought-

Good luck with the ACL.....

• 1 year later...