Horrible Direcway (6000) speeds for me, too!

phrankl

Since Dec. 20th I've been having very slow browsing speeds during

"Prime time," on my D'way 6000.  (From about 11:30 a.m through the eve-

ning.)  Last night my numbers were in the dial up range, or less!

Up till now, for about 16 months, service has been pretty good.

I called tech support, emailed tech support, talked to Level 2 support. 

My system's fine, so I'm guessing that the problem's with them.  Their folks

can't / won't give out any system info. like that, so I'm assuming they've

oversubscribed during the Holidays, or something..... (Bad transponder, maybe?)

Anyone else been having these kinds of issues on Direcway?

thanks!

Welcome to the forums phrankl!  :)

There are a lot of people having the bad speeds during peak hours on the 7000's, and it's probably affecting the 6000's more now. Welcome to the world of Direcway!

What satellite and transponder are you on? To find out, type "http://192.168.0.1" wihtut the quotes into your browser, navigate to "system info" and copy and paste what's on the satellite table on the top right.

you will know they are working on it when see launch is ready to put up a new sat for them, or when dway announces they are no longer installing new customers! A common sense theory would be if the speeds are good i the off peak hours....equipment and settings must be working fine? during the slower times there are too many people using, systems cant handle the population of users.

Guess what they know it, are they going to fix it?.....my guess is no, if by chance they cut loose the fix it wont be overnight. Please continue paying the bill in full while they look for the next victim, and decide just how long they can get away with this word game.  :D

Thanks for the replies, Folks.

BirdFan, here's my stats; I think that's what you want?

(I'm pretty sure that 117W longitude is SatMex5, right?...)

This morning the speed is fine, of course.  It's only through the day that

the speed REALLY SLOWS down.  Like 19 kbps last night around 8:00 p.m.

I wonder if billing will give me any money back on my monthly bill, since

I'm getting dial up speeds..  :o)

[i seem to hear good things about WildBlue]

Satellite Stuff:

Transmit Path: Satellite

Outroute: Primary

Longitude: 117 West

Receive Frequency: 970 MHz

Receive Symbol Rate: 30 Msps

Receive Polarization: Horizontal

Transmit Polarization: Horizontal

22KHz Tone: Off

Router Address: 66.82.xxx.xx

Software Configuration---

NAT: Enabled

DHCP: Enabled

Firewall:Enabled (from NOC)

Turbo Page: Enabled

I had trouble once before & contacted billing & they gave me a credit for one month.  I about ready to call them again since my problem too has gone on for nearly a month now.  I'm not holding my breathe though about things improving much.

Also the problem I had before ended up getting me switched to a different sat.  That's when they put me on Satmex5 telling me it was much less crowded; well, maybe before they oversold on that one too.

Is there a table, somewhere, that shows me which transponder I'm on...?

And, can engineering change me to one less crowded?  Or would that

be 'way too easy? ;o)

Your receive frequency is your transponder.

And yes, that's the sat mex 5. That would be why you're getting low the speeds.

I had trouble once before & contacted billing & they gave me a credit for one month.  I about ready to call them again since my problem too has gone on for nearly a month now.  I'm not holding my breathe though about things improving much.

Also the problem I had before ended up getting me switched to a different sat.  That's when they put me on Satmex5 telling me it was much less crowded; well, maybe before they oversold on that one too.

They gave you credit? How early were you into your contract?

Probably about 1/2 way into it.  If I keep having problems I'm going to press for it again but doubt I'll get it again.

I'm really surprised the Direcway did that. You must have been having problems worse than everyone else or something, or else everyone would get a credit  :haha:

Jim

Thanks for the reply however I don"t understand.  Is 89W (1A8) a satellite?  I am thinking your 89W is your longitude.  I was under the impression that the receive frequency told you what satellite you were on.  I checked my stats and I don't see where it tells me what satellite I am on.

Any futher help would be appreciated.

sctrt

Here is what you do to get switched to a new satellite or get a credit. DirecWay ONLY guarantees 500 down/100up as an AVERAGE over a week's time with the Pro account. What you have to do is use MyDirecWay's speed test so they can log the results. What my tech did is average all my speed tests for a week and then gave me the result. I work during the day but on my 2 days off I ran speed tests and my results were terrible (250/18, etc.) However, I ran speed tests late at night or early in the morning and they were 1,000/220, etc. The turkey took these fastest tests and added them to the slowest ones and the average results were 520/120 which met DWay's minimum criteria for the Pro account!!!!! He told me they won't send anyone out unless your average speeds fall below this level! So here is what I am doing. Every day I come home for lunch and run 2 to 3 speed tests. They are always 250 or less down and 100 or less up. Then I run several tests during the later peak hours or morning peak hours where the speed is around 750/190. The average for 2 days so far is 450/120. The download is definitely showing a problem. After a week of this, when I call tech support again and they do an average of my test speeds, they will HAVE to come out because they are NOT meeting their terms of service agreement. They may also issue me another credit as they have done for this month (1 month free). I paid the $200 upgrade fee so I wouldn't be locked into a ridiculously long contract with them. I think they are anticipating a mass migration as more wireless internet becomes available to us out in the boonies. That way they will get their early termination fees. However, if they are violating their terms of service speed guarantee (500/100 average) you DON'T have to pay that early termination fee as they breeched the contract!

If you don't know how to average your test results, here's how.

Run 1 weeks worth of tests. Run several during peak hours when the speeds are the worst. Run 1 or two during peak times when speeds are better but still slow. Do NOT run tests during off peak hours when your speeds will be way over 750/120. You should have over 20 tests run. Add the download speeds up (250+250+750+500+250, etc) then do the same for the upload speeds (160+130+85+28+125, etc.) Then divide the totals for each by the number of tests. In the example above it would be 250+250+750+500+250 divided by 5 (number of tests) and 160+130+85+28+125 divided by 5 (number of tests). In this example the average download speed is 400 (2000 divided by 5) and the average upload speed is 105 (528 divided by 5). The upload average is within range but the download average is well below the 400 guaranteed!!! They have to come out of solve the problem and give you a credit if you persist if they can't deliver on the speed!!!

I hope this helps.  I am waiting to be moved from SatMex 5 at 1230.....a real dog!!!!!

Patrick

Although I am not on Satmex5, which I feel has got to be the most oversold bird up there, it is possible to get good speed even in the middle of the day. I am on Horizons1.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 970 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 118 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Jan 13 12:35:00 EST 2006

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.68 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 6.71 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OJU8Y72WT

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 56 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 7 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Fri Jan 13 12:38:49 EST 2006

Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 146.29 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 75.68 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-S1LG6HUDC

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 980 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 120 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Jan 13 12:55:41 EST 2006

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.53 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 7.81 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Z39YJRU8W