Need app to see who is using my wireless network.

MasterZymo

I recently got a WRT54GX4, and enabled security on it, but only WEP 64bit, as thats all my adapter (wusb54g v2) would support. I have a strong feeling that some one is using my network, as i notice fluctuating bandwidth, and once when i tried to remove things from share, it said they were in use. How in the world can i found out if there are people using my network (other than the 1 authorized), and what can i do to kick or block them or something. I need to know cause i think it is my neighbor, who i know for a FACT used to leech my other good neighbors internet for a long time, way before i got wireless.

I appreciate all the input on this.

Oh, and if there is a good adapter that like can support WPA2, or if there will be one of the linksys ones soon, let me know. I think it sucks that linksys made this router, but has not home PC srx accessories up to date for it, only laptop.

Thanks all.

yes i have MAC filtering, SSID brodcast off, and chanege SSID, but i forgot to mention i know this guy is good with computers, he used to work at raytheon, a very large company here, as a computer IT or tech person or something about computers, i dont remember.

He also runs a pirate dvd mini-business, so this guy is kinda sinister and knows what he is doing.

Any way for me to monitor traffic on the network or something?

i have comcast, and normal 6/384, and a get like 6.4 dl / 49kbps upload, and now when i take the test (about 2 days after router, had it since tues) i see massive spped drops. likes its going fast then slows down, and changes. now it wont get 4 a lot of the times.

all i want to know is if i can find out if someone is using my network, and also if anyone knows about a secure adapter like i mentioned in my first post.

You can go to your routers configuration page and check the dchp table to see what clients your wireless is currently giving ips out to. This would be able to tell you how many different computers are connected and if you have 2 computers, yet you see like 3 or 4 different computer names that aren't yours then maybe somebody else is connected to your network. Try this and if it looks like you have someone piggy backing your network you might want to try some new encryption methods or something, as far as the law goes if he is using your connection without permission idk what kinda trouble he would get in but you could research.

Was just about to post what the guy above me did.

Go to your routers config page (http://192.168.10.1/) for my router, and then you can check the addresses that are on your router and also check who is on your router by MAC addresses and such.

Just get your IP (double click the network icon in the system tray). Change the last decimal with .1 and that should (usually) do it for you.

You can go to your routers configuration page and check the dchp table to see what clients your wireless is currently giving ips out to.

I did this and because I havent had a chance to secure my wireless network yet I have found 3 people outside of my house using my router. This also brings up a question i have; after i see them on the DHCP table and i check the box next to their computer name and click "delete" does that make it so they cant use my router again until the DHCP is renewed or whatever? Cause i havent seen their computers on my router DHCP page again sicne then.

hey what wireless equipment do you have?  try to reserve ips and mac address of your computers and save them in the router so he cant get on because the ip's are reserved for your comps only.  he has to be on one of your lan ip's so you can see which one by looking at your router for attached devices. 

goto ww.vyrax.com to find out some stuff about wireless and post a question if you need to cause he will be glad to help.

^^ amen!

I have driven around my hometown, with my PDA that has wireless, going down my business district, i can log on to about 6 different insecure BUSINESS networks, this is sad. I haven't done it to be mischevious though, and steal their bandwidth, or even files, etc. no snooping in otherwords, it's just ridiculous how many business's dont know what they doing, top 4 networks locally that SCARE the sheeet out of me coz i use these business's, Local Pharmacy, (name withheld so i don't get sued, a BANK not three buildings down, a pawn broker, McDonalds, and to add a fifth in, our Utility Board, I walked into the Bank, because I USE this bank, and showed them, IT was swiftly in the lobby taking me upstairs.. I did not get in trouble by any chance, I was praised and thanked. I went into the pharmacy, because I use this pharmacy, and showed them, they put me on the phone with IT/ISS again, problem fixed, I got a free cherry coke from the fountain. THe pawn broker, he didn't care, wtf, he gets what he deserves right? McDonalds, LOL, they didn't know what i was talking about, then i showed them i could pull up, and manipulate their inventory, timeclock, and recipes, as well as access employee files, and schedules, I waited 1 hour and 30 mins for district manager to get there, I was offered a job. I refused, as I dont want to flip burgers, LOL, j/k, they offered me an ISS job... I refused.. I am not gonna piss in a cup for mcdonalds. for any position, it's mcdonalds, and I like my herb, I get chemo weekly.

As far as residential gateways? Six or Seven in my neighborhood, I can access 2, but, i know the people, and i set them secure, but still have access, as they want me to have it, coz i they fix it guy.

again, this is why i remain WIRED  in this age of wireless, my bandwidth is MY bandwidth, even if a WiLAN is secure, it's still able to be seen by other WiFi devices. I dont like that, me being wired, and not wireless, my router/ip shows up as a blackhole. And I like that, "bow down, before the one u serve, u gonna get what u deserve, HEAD LIKE A HOLE, DARK AS YOUR SOUL< id rather die, then give you contrOL."