Ask a Installer

Aubrey

Hey all. You probably don't remember me at all, but I have been a member here for over a year & have posted a little from time to time, but have not really been active. I first got my DW in the fall of 2004 in Southern Oregon USA. Then in april of 2005 I moved to Northern California & took my system with me & installed it myself.

he might know someone who has talked to someone else, who might know, so you never know if he has an idea or not, word gets around like crazy

..."Because I heard it from the guy who knows this kid that's dating the girl who has this uncle who knows this lady who's kid saw Ferris pass out in the Thirty-one flavor's last night!"

:-)

One it was just a simple question.....and second how is what you watch or read anywhere else not a he said she said case. CNN, ABC, USA, PC, FOX

If you eliminate "he said she said" from your knowledge one would realize only what you actually seen or experienced yourself.

The big slow down you are talking about is because the Satellite you are on is just plain too busy to give you good speeds. This is DW's problem, & for that matter the problem with a lot of Satellite based communications. They like to cram as many people as they can onto each "Bird". I am on G3C & don't really notice much of a slowdown during peak hrs. So what I am trying to say is that, I doubt they have any motivation to "fix" that problem. :P

Ok Aubrey, here's a question.

Why is it that everytime I call Direcway tech support (in India of course) they always have me do the frequency switch thing? I finally got an installer to come out and replace all the outside gear and he recommissioned it on SatMex 5 because that is the only one he could point it to. He told me I'd do better on  (oh I forgot the sames...1A8 and G5 or something like that) but he'd have to come out and remount the dish. After several hours, my download was only at 250k but the upload was finally between 100 and 200. I've never even seen it over 45! So, the nice Indian man had me trying all kinds of frequencies around the 1230 that it defaults to. I noticed that SatMex 5 is supposed to be 1270 but he tried all kinds of frequencies around that. One of them (1170 I believe) gave me a whopping 92 on signal strength and 99 on Cross pol, but he didn't choose that one. In the end, I ended up with 85 down and 28 up!!! I finally did the installer setup myself putting it back to 1270 and last night got speeds around 1100 down and 200 up. This morning I am back to 250 down and 100 up! My question is: Why, when I change the frequency to re-commission it and it shows 92 and 99 cross poll  does it revert back to 1230 and 70 for signal strength when it is done commissioning? What is the point of them trying different frequencies if you can't use any of them? My installer told me they were different transponders and only 1 on SatMex 5 is working with the 7000 right now. I don't see why, if I can get such a good signal and cross poll that I can't use that frequency and it will lock in unless the NOC has something to do with changing it or that frequency doesn't work with the 7000. This is always baffling to me because no one has ever explained it to me before. Should I just get the installer to move the dish to one of the dedicated satellites? I will not tollerate 250 downloads during the day for what I have to pay. Please explain, if you know, what all those frequencies really mean and which ones can be used with SatMex 5.

Thanks,

Patrick

You can run registration on ANY satellite or transponder you wish, but when it commissions, you will be put on whatever one you are assigned.  It would be really foolish for them to allow anyone at anytime to get on whatever satellite they wanted to.  They have enough bandwidth control problems as it is.  The SatMex satellite itself is having trouble lately, and has something to do with the company that owns it going bankrupt.  I think SatMex 6 is supposed to launch this year but I don't know.

I have and after awhile they come back.

do it again, that's the only fix for me, unless I wait it out. I don't get many red x's on the 7000, though.

what's your successful transmissions / failed transmissions? to find out, type '192.168.0.1' into your browser without the quotes. then navigate to 'transmission info' and copy and paste what's in the table. if your successful transmissions / failed transmissions ratio is more than 2%, then that's a bad sign, but then again, it could be your satellite.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Aubrey, here's a question.

Why is it that everytime I call DirecWay tech support (in India of course) they always have me do the frequency switch thing? I finally got an installer to come out and replace all the outside gear and he recommissioned it on SatMex 5 because that is the only one he could point it to. He told me I'd do better on  (oh I forgot the sames...1A8 and G5 or something like that) but he'd have to come out and remount the dish. After several hours, my download was only at 250k but the upload was finally between 100 and 200. I've never even seen it over 45! So, the nice Indian man had me trying all kinds of frequencies around the 1230 that it defaults to. I noticed that SatMex 5 is supposed to be 1270 but he tried all kinds of frequencies around that. One of them (1170 I believe) gave me a whopping 92 on signal strength and 99 on Cross pol, but he didn't choose that one. In the end, I ended up with 85 down and 28 up!!! I finally did the installer setup myself putting it back to 1270 and last night got speeds around 1100 down and 200 up. This morning I am back to 250 down and 100 up! My question is: Why, when I change the frequency to re-commission it and it shows 92 and 99 cross poll  does it revert back to 1230 and 70 for signal strength when it is done commissioning? What is the point of them trying different frequencies if you can't use any of them? My installer told me they were different transponders and only 1 on SatMex 5 is working with the 7000 right now. I don't see why, if I can get such a good signal and cross poll that I can't use that frequency and it will lock in unless the NOC has something to do with changing it or that frequency doesn't work with the 7000. This is always baffling to me because no one has ever explained it to me before. Should I just get the installer to move the dish to one of the dedicated satellites? I will not tollerate 250 downloads during the day for what I have to pay. Please explain, if you know, what all those frequencies really mean and which ones can be used with SatMex 5.

Thanks,

Patrick

This isn't making a lot of sence... normally you cannot comission to a satellite that you aren't assigned to. the only thing you can do is change frequency. So I don't undersatnd how you are accomplishing that.  the only way I know of is to call DW & get the right department. I have tried pointing to a satellite that i wasn't commisioned to & I get a fine signal through setup, bat as soon as you are done it drops.

I don't think you can even change the frequency. When I tried, I got 90 and 98 cross poll. But when it was all done, it went back to 1230! The tech said the different frequency didn't make a difference on how fast you connected during the day. Yeah, that is because there is too much congestion at that time. I am about ready to submit my final demand with 2 weeks worth of sub-standard speed tests (below 500/100 average) and the tech said they would move the dish to a new bird if I could prove substandard speeds. We will see what happens and even if that makes any damned difference!

You can commission on any Sat and/or transponder you want to, but when the commissioning process is over, the modem will download the configuratio parameters assigned to it by the NOC.  The modem will then be assigned to the Sat and transponder that DWAY assigns you, NOT what you put into the modem during Installer-Setup.

Today the installer came to do my re-point from Horizons-1 over to I-8.....no surprise he says no line of sight. Very tree tops he said would not allow signal to lock even with no leaves?  He also had a work order to replace the feed horn and transmitter ....he said it was not bad, fixed the feedhorn window by removing the plastic! Also when done left the big grey plastic cover off as well....said it was not needed! He wanted to cut down export grade timber to do the re-point. I will now see if Direcway will be willing to pay this value!

Anyone else have the plastic cut out of the feedhorn window or the big grey plastic cover gone?

Today the installer came to do my re-point from Horizons-1 over to I-8.....no surprise he says no line of sight. Very tree tops he said would not allow signal to lock even with no leaves?  He also had a work order to replace the feed horn and transmitter ....he said it was not bad, fixed the feedhorn window by removing the plastic! Also when done left the big grey plastic cover off as well....said it was not needed! He wanted to cut down export grade timber to do the re-point. I will now see if Direcway will be willing to pay this value!

Anyone else have the plastic cut out of the feedhorn window or the big grey plastic cover gone?

The plastic is not supposed to be cut out of the feedhorn window... The big grey plasitc cove (shroud) doesn't matter. It's just for looks.

Amazing, did you argue with him at all? Did he even attempt to do it? It sounds as though he was pretty quick.

oh yes we argued for awhile...he did not to be here just as installer one that done the original install.

My options:

1-- move the entire dish to the a building roof another 100ft from my pole mount (3' x3' concrete hole)......pay him $85hr plus material cost to move the entire location.....this is a Dway problem remember and I have no intentions of spending anymore money on the trash.

2-- mow down about 4 or 5  red oaks trees about 60-85ft high (export grade logs)

3-- leave it pointed to Horizons-1

I figured it wouldn't be long with new installs and re-points all going to I-8.... the speed will begin to drop on I-8 as well.

Oh the other thing he done that I read not to do was jerk the cord out if the back of the modem versus ask me where the power  strip was to unplug it there. Told me he has been doing this for 6years! I was not a bit impressed with his knowledge at all. The other remark he made about Horizons-1 "its old" ....I told him sea launch shows this bird just launched in Sept 2003 ! Then he argued with me about the speed test sites and transmitter replacement.  I will be reporting this mess to Dway Monday at 9am

oh yes we argued for awhile...he did not to be here just as installer one that done the original install.

My options:

1-- move the entire dish to the a building roof another 100ft from my pole mount (3' x3' concrete hole)......pay him $85hr plus material cost to move the entire location.....this is a Dway problem remember and I have no intentions of spending anymore money on the trash.

2-- mow down about 4 or 5  red oaks trees about 60-85ft high (export grade logs)

3-- leave it pointed to Horizons-1

I figured it wouldn't be long with new installs and re-points all going to I-8.... the speed will begin to drop on I-8 as well.

Oh the other thing he done that I read not to do was jerk the cord out if the back of the modem versus ask me where the power  strip was to unplug it there. Told me he has been doing this for 6years! I was not a bit impressed with his knowledge at all. The other remark he made about Horizons-1 "its old" ....I told him sea launch shows this bird just launched in Sept 2003 ! Then he argued with me about the speed test sites and transmitter replacement.  I will be reporting this mess to Dway Monday at 9am

Wow... The ignorance of some people. I wonder how much, if any, training he had.