Vista Requirements announced (kinda)

Swimmer

MS email all of the vendors at CES with some more specific requirement for the next generation of their windows os...

In an email sent to vendors at the CES 2006, Microsoft for the first time outlined some system requirements for its upcoming operating system. These guidelines are a first indication of how much horsepower Windows Vista will require to be able to deliver on Microsoft's promises.

The email states that Vista asks for a system with a 3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor and 1 GB of memory. We believe that especially ATI officials may have liked the recommendation to firms who are demonstrating Vista at their booths to use a "high end ATI GPU," namely a Radeon 9800, x600, x700, x800 or x850 device. According to Microsoft, ATI is preferred to Nvidia at this time due to superior driver support."

Other requirements included a SATA or 7200 rpm EIDE hard drive. For Vista on notebooks, Microsoft recommended the Acer Ferrari 3400, the Acer Ferrari 4000, the HP Pavillion zd8230, the IBM Thinkpad T43 and the Toshiba Tecra M4.

The email stated that "PCs that meet or exceed these specifications will provide the most responsive Windows Vista operating system demo experience."

no one is gonna buy vista if the requirements are that high.

This is required to run the 3d version. 2d requirements will be lower, and you can most likely run Vista at any computer capable of running XP.

Gee... Why am i considering to roll back to windows 2000 all of a sudden, and just patch the hell out of that.

I'm not going to upgrade, and i bet there is an online activation tied into vista as well.

Too bad i spent too much money on windows only software o make a transfer to linux. (and i don't like mac)

Guest jeffwalker9999

My Machine is ready to take on Vista... I've installed Beta 2, and it runs smoothly. The visual styles are great (transparent!!!!). I don't know about you guys, but 1 GB of RAM will become the "Recommended", instead of 512 MB. And 2 GB will be "gamers' choice".

there specs are crap -

saw it running at CES and looks cool

can you send me a copy if it

via http://www.yousendit.com/

or http://www.pando.com/beta/what

note both have 1 gig limit so will need to split it

winrar app is a good software to split it with

?? 120 day trial - correct ???

thanks in advanced

there specs are crap -

thanks in advanced

I could of sworn the file was some 742MB. Correct me if I am wrong.

TheHalf

there specs are crap -

thanks in advanced

They might be crap.. but hey it is more than what we had before.. It looks if you want to run all of the bells and whistles you are going to need a fairly new machine.

My Machine is ready to take on Vista... I've installed Beta 2, and it runs smoothly. The visual styles are great (transparent!!!!). I don't know about you guys, but 1 GB of RAM will become the "Recommended", instead of 512 MB. And 2 GB will be "gamers' choice".

gamers choice

AMd 64bit 4500+

4 gig pc3800 or higher (dual inline)

SLI PCI-E graphics accelerator, no less then Geforce 7800gtx or X850XL pci-e graphics.

gamers choice

AMd 64bit 4500+

4 gig pc3800 or higher (dual inline)

SLI PCI-E graphics accelerator, no less then Geforce 7800gtx or X850XL pci-e graphics.

Thats useless LOL - u can achieve the right amount of useful performance with only a 3000+ processor slighly o/c to like 2.2 and 1 gig of ram

Thats useless LOL - u can achieve the right amount of useful performance with only a 3000+ processor slighly o/c to like 2.2 and 1 gig of ram

well, YOU think it's worthless, I don't.. it doesn't cost much more, and i'd rather know I am rated at 3.2Gig then have to oC anything, I run about 91*F C after gaming, core shutdown is 140*F, (what i have it set to), I don't want to raise it much more, because I haven't installed the orb fans I want, or the proper cooling system, relying on the PS fan, the CPU fan, rear case fan, and lower front case fan, all are about 3200cfm, I would prefer 6000+cfm, once I acheive these additions, I may OC even what I have, and break 4gig.. only once the machine is antiquated, running hot from overclocking raises the temp, which shortens system life.

oblivion, nuff said.

• 2 months later...

well, YOU think it's worthless, I don't.. it doesn't cost much more, and i'd rather know I am rated at 3.2Gig then have to oC anything, I run about 91*F C after gaming, core shutdown is 140*F, (what i have it set to), I don't want to raise it much more, because I haven't installed the orb fans I want, or the proper cooling system, relying on the PS fan, the CPU fan, rear case fan, and lower front case fan, all are about 3200cfm, I would prefer 6000+cfm, once I acheive these additions, I may OC even what I have, and break 4gig.. only once the machine is antiquated, running hot from overclocking raises the temp, which shortens system life.

oblivion, nuff said.

do you even know what you are saying !? - 3200cfm fans !? ... wowzers - thats about enough to literally keep a BIIIIIG server room cool hahahahahahahahaha - and 2.2ghz amd very well achieves as good as a 3.0 and higher intel