How do people get caught stealing music?

asubaseball727

Duh, most cd stores have security cameras or alarms  ;).

But if you're talking p2p, then sharing files is what gets you in trouble. The RIAA downloads a file you have for share, gets your ip, contacts your isp, and you get a letter. Sometimes your isp monitors stuff like this as well and might contact you before the RIAA would get involved. They are also probably developing new ways to catch user sharing music.

either your isp monitors your traffic (ports used, ip's connected to, number of active connections, traffic etc. etc. etc.) or the riaa downloads a file from you and talks to the isp. the thing is that even if you are not sharing music from a folder most p2p progs share the file you are currently dling out to others to prevent people from dling without uling to the network. (honor among thieves type of thing i guess  :haha:)

Well aren't your friends going to stop since they got a letter in the mail? Btw if you get a letter doesn't that mean your pretty much screwed lol.

Hahaha yeah that would be my guess.. If it says RIAA then you would be screwed..  Unless it is a letter from the ISP about excessive bandwidth usage..

I find this thread interesting since the actual act of file sharing, no matter what the content, is not illegal. There has never been a case in which a person has been criminally charged for using peer to peer software in the United States. Yes people have been sued civilly by the RIAA for basically infringing on their rights to copyright. However that doesn't make it illegal, being illegal would make it a jailable offense.

I find this thread interesting since the actual act of file sharing, no matter what the content, is not illegal. There has never been a case in which a person has been criminally charged for using peer to peer software in the United States. Yes people have been sued civilly by the RIAA for basically infringing on their rights to copyright. However that doesn't make it illegal, being illegal would make it a jailable offense.

If U D/l Http And The File Name Is Like EM-WHIMG.RAR With A RAR Pass How Are They Sopost To Know It's Music ?

yes, robin hood. but the fact that the civil suits against the people sharing have been won by the riaa shows that they were infringing on the copyrights, and that means they were commiting a theft. if the da chooses not to charge them because they don't want to bother gathering evidence for a criminal case that is their decision. it does not change the fact that the sharing and downloading of copyrighted files is theft, no matter how you try to justify it.

yes, robin hood. but the fact that the civil suits against the people sharing have been won by the riaa shows that they were infringing on the copyrights, and that means they were commiting a theft. if the da chooses not to charge them because they don't want to bother gathering evidence for a criminal case that is their decision. it does not change the fact that the sharing and downloading of copyrighted files is theft, no matter how you try to justify it.

Interesting idea, because here (Holland), downloading things is legal. Uploading copyrighted material, that isn't owned by you, however is not legal.

We have some civil research organizations who are like the RIAA, or at least pretend to be like them, but they only threaten with going to court, and hope they can bluff themselves trough, becuase they know just like most other people here that they won't have a case that can be used successfully.

The matter that the IRAA wins in court is becuase they have a near unlimited financial back-up to continue the process, and that isn't a benefit most people have when they are faced with charges that are not sufficiently backed up, but are brought to you by a "really expensive lawyer with good looking looks and suitTM ®".

Interesting idea, because here (Holland), downloading things is legal. Uploading copyrighted material, that isn't owned by you, however is not legal.

We have some civil research organizations who are like the RIAA, or at least pretend to be like them, but they only threaten with going to court, and hope they can bluff themselves trough, becuase they know just like most other people here that they won't have a case that can be used successfully.

The matter that the IRAA wins in court is becuase they have a near unlimited financial back-up to continue the process, and that isn't a benefit most people have when they are faced with charges that are not sufficiently backed up, but are brought to you by a "really expensive lawyer with good looking looks and suitTM ®".

the suave lawyer doesn't alter the facts. the problem is, like i said, the people that use p2p and feel entitled to whatever they download, the extreme sort claiming some anarchist bullshit like information is free, everyone should have access to it etc. etc. etc. then there is the sort that downloads stuff that is copyrighted and just doesn't care that doing so is stealing from people.

The people who get caught got caught beacuse they are (DUMB) there are plenty of ways to download anything, and everything you want without fear of ever being caught. Most of the people getting busted are Computer Dummies, Newbs, or they just plain don't care.

I agree. I'll be honest and admit I like to DL a tune once in awhile (usually something I heard on radio that I want to hear again). But most of my DL's are now music videos, I want to build a library of music videos (better stimulation) of my favourite tunes.

TheHalf

If you know the methods the enemy is using to catch someone you avoid them, and their methods, and go around them. ISP's can use packet sniffing, and port specifc tools to bust you find the way around this. (Not Hard) RIAA uses many sneaky methods such as joining p2p networks, and sharing files just to bust you, and also but not limited to hacking people, and networks for information. Just hide who you are (Proxy's, Tunneling) on the internet encrypt your data ect. These are just a few simple ways to improve your chances there are more advanced ways also.

If you know the methods the enemy is using to catch someone you avoid them, and their methods, and go around them. ISP's can use packet sniffing, and port specifc tools to bust you find the way around this. (Not Hard) RIAA uses many sneaky methods such as joining p2p networks, and sharing files just to bust you, and also but not limited to hacking people, and networks for information. Just hide who you are (Proxy's, Tunneling) on the internet encrypt your data ect. These are just a few simple ways to improve your chances there are more advanced ways also.

ill Admit Too Except Mine Is a Bigger Confection  :haha:

I Dont D/l Much Anymore Tho Maybee A Movie A Week  :evil6:

5.49 Gigs In Albums

224 Mb In MP3

46.9 Gigs In Movies

1.58 GIgs In Music Videos

66.0 MB In TV

Beat That Collection

Oh yea TV shows. I am a big fan of Adult Swim and began acquiring episodes of 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force'.  :D

TheHalf

ill Admit Too Except Mine Is a Bigger Confection  :haha:

I Dont D/l Much Anymore Tho Maybee A Movie A Week  :evil6:

5.49 Gigs In Albums

224 Mb In MP3

46.9 Gigs In Movies

1.58 GIgs In Music Videos

66.0 MB In TV

Beat That Collection

29.01GB  in Music

98.7GB in Movies

3.5GB in Pictures

4.31GB in Downloaded Programs

;)

(btw... probably 99% of my collection (not confection :lol:) is legal...)

I would like to know what kind of bakery good you have that's bigger...

Owning a digital backup is NOT illegal, downloaiding and file sharing is NOT illegal...

so long as u own the original, that's one way to look at it.

I personally dont think that file sharing should ever be illegal, it's digital content.

not tangible...

ok, but that can be debated eternally.

still yet, i've paid major bucks for tapes back in the 80's, 15 bux for the INXS cassette i bought.

15 dollars, for analog cassette, back in 1980 something. That is outrageous.

shoulda cost like 2 bux a tape. if even that.

so, i've been raped by the recording industry for 20 years for tapes, concerts, NO LESS then 20 bux for a ticket ever, tshirts, paraphenelia, LP's, cd's, and now, the instant delivery of music to my pc.

with all this new licensing, with windows media player 10.x EHK!!!!

i don't like that, hope winamp don't take that on.

then again, alot of linux players, dont require much of anyhthing, but the software, the file, and hit play.

13.4 Gig .mp3  .m4a/.mp4

138.7 Gig full lp's

188 Gig Movies

21.5 Gig Music Video

thing is, i dont use p2p,l usually IRC.