VGA Vs. DVI Monitor

CaptainSauce

Is there really like an absolute big difference in the quality and/or looks between a vga and dvi monitor? because im a hardcore gammer and i just ordered a 19 inch flat screen LCD and its VGA only to where i thought it was either vga or dvi... will a 19" tft lcd VGA still look good? or at least better then your solid old style monitors?

A CRT monitor will always outperform an LCD (Flat Panel), DVI or not. The graphics are more crisp, bright, and sharp on a CRT.  Flat panel monitors have gotten way better over the years and you should enjoy yours alot. It's just that so many LCD's tend to not be able to keep up very well with fast screen animations.

Those are just my personal experiences/observations with LCD monitors.

EDIT: By the way, DVI (Digital Visual Interface) is only available for flat panels, if I'm not mistaken. VGA is best for CRT's being thatit's and analog signal.

I prefer flat panel CRTs personally... I can pick up jerkiness even on a fast LCD display... but I digress...

DVI isn't always digital... there's digital and analog DVI... (at least I think that's how it goes)

so a monitor like that easily puts the 19" lcd tft monitor i just got in the trash? that being picture quality

picture quality and response time? probably

desk space? definitely not....

one of the main reasons I have dual 19" CRTs instead of LCDs is because I have the space for them...

well desk space isnt that big of deal, even though tigerdirect is a great company i might end up returning that tft lcd and getting that since you say its probably better in picture and responce time, im tired of my games looking so depressed on my monitor, well that being also the punches its suffered from my fist from unreal tournament :-D

I prefer flat panel CRTs personally... I can pick up jerkiness even on a fast LCD display... but I digress...

DVI isn't always digital... there's digital and analog DVI... (at least I think that's how it goes)

PHP DVI is always digital, no mater how you slice it. It was engineered to be pure digital. Its the same thing as HDMI, they are really the only true digital cables. coax cable is not digital, svideo is not digital, and componet is not digital.

The only way a dvi is not digital, is if the source supplying the image is not digital.

oh and organ_shifter just a heads up, LCD's are more crisp, sharp and brighter, then CRTs. now they are not as fast yet. but they are very close. I have a samsung with a 8ms responce time, and there is no ghosting on it at all when i play any game. Also LCD's just look a hell of alot better. especially if you get a UXGA panel.

CaptainSauce if you don't want to hurt and kill your eyes get a lcd. you can look that them for ever and feel no strain in your eyes

is 16Ms response time going to really irratate me if im a hardcore gamer?

you most likely not going to see any ghosting with 16ms

how much do you wana spend on a monitor?

here is a 17in samsung with 8ms responce time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001072

and here is a 19in wiht 8ms responce time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001066

well i just purchased this because my mom got it for me for my birthday ( so im not complaining)  it will be here tomorrow

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1561114&CatId=170

for 4 years now ive been using a 16 inch old crappy origional old school gay face monitor and this is my first monitor upgrade....so im sure it will please me?

well i just purchased this because my mom got it for me for my birthday ( so im not complaining)  it will be here tomorrow

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1561114&CatId=170

for 4 years now ive been using a 16 inch old crappy origional old school gay face monitor and this is my first monitor upgrade....so im sure it will please me?

thats a great monitor, don't worry about the responce time, you will not notice any ghosting with that. and you will have lots of fun gaming for hours on that. when you get pm me and let me know how it works.

allright, will do, the only thing i really hear negitive about this one i purchased is the possiblity of dead pixels....even though im not as worried about it but that IS a possibility correct?

yes, but lcd's are made so good today hat you changes of getting one are less then .1%

don't worry about that. they ship 1000's of laptops each day with no problems.

The 0.25 mm could be better, but it's ok.

so a monitor like that easily puts the 19" lcd tft monitor i just got in the trash? that being picture quality

I hate to say it but, in a nutshell, yes. emoticon_exp_24.gif

A flat screen CRT is my preference as well.

oh and organ_shifter just a heads up, LCD's are more crisp, sharp and brighter, then CRTs. now they are not as fast yet. but they are very close. I have a samsung with a 8ms responce time, and there is no ghosting on it at all when i play any game. Also LCD's just look a hell of alot better. especially if you get a UXGA panel.

Nah. I feel the exact opposite. Whenever I've played games on LCD's, the display wasn't as great and paled in comparison. However, the CRT's have always produced awesome graphics and been much better for me.

As far as the DVI vs VGA:

DVI is better than VGA for LCD

I got my Viewsonic 3ms monitor and i noticed some blurriness, but after i did autoimage adjust via the bottons on the fron of the monitor it went away. Try that and hopefully it will adjust the bitter to better quality.