lose network settings after each session

gracie

hello folks.

Laptop running XPSP2

Wireless Netgear network card

Wireless Belkin router.

don't know exact ID's of card or router

History. Machine came in for cleaning off spyware and re-establishing connection to the net.

I had it on our Broadband ethernet connection for the whole time it was here, several days, and had no problems.

Machine returned to owner and  then had the wireless Netgear card installed and configured over the Christmas period, and  everything seems to work fine, but only for that session. Next time the user wants to access the net the IP, protocols etc have to be re-configured, this is my understanding.

I wonder if  it might be a matter of driver incompatibility with the Wireless Zero configuration service as I saw some mention of that when visiting Microsoft's website, but I know so little about wireless networking, I am just guessing, and  not having the machine here, I can't 'experiment', so I thought there might be some value in running the  thing past them as knows more - that's you.  :D.

The router  is not suspect as other machines in the house can access the web without a problem, and the laptop gives the same problem when taken to a different place, so I understand, so it must be to do with the card, seems to me, but I know nothing... :)

Try updating the drivers.. I notices on Netgear's site for the WG511.. they had Added support to save and switch profile between all user accounts (including non-administrator accounts) on Windows XP Home and Professional (including SP2) and Windows 2000 Professional in their latest build of there drivers.

I dont think the WZC is a problem.  I am able to plug in my card and have it run just fine.

O question I have is.. When the "session", i am assuming that means that IE is closed?, ends does the ip address go to a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx?  or is it still a valid 192.xxx.xxx.xxx?

resopal, I would imagine it is as admin, but his boys, who use the laptop will probably not be admins. The very first thing I thought of was User Profiles not renewing - but then I discounted that line of thought.

Swimmer I will pass your query on to him and come back if I get a useful response. He can't e-mail me as my ISP blocks Freeserve, so I have to wait until he can phone. He is not a novice with networking - but it is easy enough to forget things when you don't do it for a while, so  these suggestions might be just what he needs. Thank you :)