Need Help Specifying a Connection (Upload/Download)

organ_shifter

Lets say a person has two connections in their home and both are individual accounts, independent of each other. One has a great download with an ok upload, and the other has an ok download with a great upload.

Is there a program that allows you to specify which of the two connections handles inbound traffic only, and which of the two connection handles outbound traffic only?

even if you got that set up i think the problem would be that for example when downloading something the ack packets to the server you are dling from would hit that server from a different ip than it sent the packets to. this is sure to cause problems. same thing if you are sending a file. since you specify the download via the other ip, the ack packets would have to go not to the ip you are uploading from but to the ip you use as a download.

the trouble would not even be the setup, but the confusion this causes on the network. (in htis case the web). i think you are better off using one connection mainly for dling the other for uploading. since you don't upload as often as you dl anyways, switching to the connection with a fast ul when you want to transfer something shouldn't be too much trouble.

i think you are better off using one connection mainly for dling the other for uploading. since you don't upload as often as you dl anyways, switching to the connection with a fast ul when you want to transfer something shouldn't be too much trouble.

OK, that doesn't sound too bad. Is there an app that can run in the system tray which would allow me to right-click and switch connections or use hot keys?

or

Maybe have an app which can separate the traffic and automatically switch to one connection when it detects downloading and then to the other for uploading, or is that too similar to my first question?

if you use an ftp program for uploading pages to a website for example you might be able to tell the ftp prog what connection to use, so anytime you upload with it it picks the appropriate connection. load balancing is likely out of the question since that would mean parts of files will be sent by different ips which would probably again confuse a destination not set up for it. don't know if there is any programs that will load balance connections from seperate apps to two connections, having the app use either one or the other link... you can always put a shortcut to the network properties in the taskbar for faster access...

Alright here is what I found.. the Linksys 4port VPN router RV042 will do what you are looking for..

You can create a dual link rule where you define your connections... Then define the main connection.. so that would be the fast download/slow upload.  Then create a rule where if the upload speed is 30-90% of the declaired speed that you set it would transfer the data to the second link.    Which would be the slow download/fast upload.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416833192&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Newegg has it for $153.00