Hard Drive setup?

lazy8

I'm trying to add a IDE hardrive to a Sata RAID 0 setup, and it dosen't wanna seem to let me do it.  How should I go about doing this?

Everytime I add the IDE hardrive to the primary IDE port it wont let windows boot, my bios dosen't even seem to see my RAID 0.  But when I take the drive back out windows loads fine bios sees RAID 0 fine DVD that is on the secondary IDE works fine an everything is normal.

What am I doing wrong? or hey maybe I've just got everything screwed up haha.

ah na the RAID 0 is using 2 SATA Segate Barracuda 250gig drives.

I've got a WD 250gig IDE drive that I would like to add as storage, I'm not trying to use  one SATA an one IDE drive to make a RAID.  I'm wondering if I can add it on the "side" so to say lol

if you're going for um sata raid 0 - there is no slave/master - the hard drive that is bigger usually acts as the master hard drive (or should i say, the 1st hard drive) - so by putting two hard drives in raid 0 it will act as one hard drive - and if you add the 3d ATA hard drive, you have to designate it as master (assuming it is the only drive on that ide channel)

if you're going for um sata raid 0 - there is no slave/master - the hard drive that is bigger usually acts as the master hard drive (or should i say, the 1st hard drive) - so by putting two hard drives in raid 0 it will act as one hard drive - and if you add the 3d ATA hard drive, you have to designate it as master (assuming it is the only drive on that ide channel)

I'm well aware of that (1TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA II HDDs)), I can also install 2 x 500GB PATA drives on either IDE controller (depending on where I want to install my optical drives) configure my systems BIOS and wala.  ;)

TheHalf

if i wanted a tb of storage i would go and buy myself an active raid controller (the kind that does all the checksum calcs itself, thereby not slowing up the system) with like 64 megs of cache and run 6 fast 250's at raid 5. giving me about a TB of storage and the peace of mind that if a drive craps out the data is still all there. and it would still be faster than just one drive. raid 0 is nice, but hitching 4 consumer class drives together with raid 0 to get the TB gives you 4 times the chance of a drive dying. and if a drive on a raid 0 craps out the data on all 4 drives is gone.

edit:

http://intel.com/design/storage/raid6.htm?ppc_cid=ovt|scd_raid6|k372F|s

interesting link there with very basic raid info. raid 6 is cute, does 2 sets of parity so 2 drives in the array can fail i guess that means you lose not one but two thirds ( ~ ) of capacity.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816131004

something like that is what i would get to run the raid...

[me=resopalrabotnick]drools.[/me]

If you wanted to have like a 1TB of storage, wouldnt you rather go with 4 x 250GB - raid 0 is pretty much always performing better if more hard drives are available :)

My PCI SATA controller only has two ports. Resopalrabotnick you may be thinking of RAID 1 where if one drive fails the data is preserved on another (mirrored/duplexing across the array). RAID 0 spreads the data across the array (striping). In RAID 1, 2 x 500GB HDD's will be seen as 1 500GB HDD.

TheHalf

i'm thinking not of striping (raid 0) or mirroring (raid 1) i'm talking about raid 5. you use 3 or more drives and there are checksums distributed among the 3 or more drives that allow the recreation of the drive that died. if you take a number of disks, say 6 or 7, you can set one to be on standby. you will not write to the standby disk it will be used to replace the first drive that dies by the controller, giving minimum downtime while the data is recreated from the live drives and their checksums.

Storage?  who needs storage  :haha:    I am going for 1TB tho ^^ I wanna do it just to do it for the most part. ;) but I gotta get 2 new drives to do it right =P

I've been thinking about taking the two IDE drives that I have an plugging them into 40-1 pin RAID slot  and doing something with it.  Only thing that I'm conserned about is that one is a WD 160GB an the other is a WD 250GB and I'm pretty sure you can't use two different dirve sizes.  I think somewhere I saw that it would use only 160 of the 250GB drive to equal it out.  But I really have no clue.

Also what would it do to my speeds, if anything.  Or would the IDE drive array just be slower than the Sata array?  Here are my current scores; so what do you guys think about the idea?

349_348.ts1137195719000.jpg