New pc

richcornucopia

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to let you something know - true, opty is good for o/c, but just as good as a 3700+ 64bit processor if done properly - one thing you should know that, you would be much better off getting a very good heatsink/fan combo than going for a water cooling system - its pretty ridiculous to see that 300-400 dollar water cooling systems produce temps that are same and in some cases even worse than stock heatsinks ..... ;(  - in many cases you are better off with simply having good airflow in your case and a good heatsink - it is different if you have money and you wanna invest like 500-600 dollars and go into something called thermoelectric cooling - which is pretty much a step above water cooling - it will give you temps of about 0 to -10C....ive had my run with water cooling, and unless you're looking to spend massive money for a decent system, its not worth it....stick with air cooling, or if you have money step it up to thermoelectric

But that 3700+ costs quite a bit more than the slower optys, while the optys are made to last cuz they're supposed to survive in server situations.

These are the steps in CPU/GPU cooling:

Air cooling

Water cooling

thermoelectric, aka peltier

chilled watercooling

phase change

dry ice, or DICE

liquid nitrogen, or LN2

While it does give lower temperatures than watercooling, it takes a lot of power to run peltier cooling AFAIK. If you're willing to spend 400 on cooling, wait for OCZ' phase change system, it'll cost about 300 - 350 and give sub-zero temps.

Whats wrong with a good heatsink/fan combo with the cooling systems you have to refill them don't you? My system is runnig at 3.0ghz and 800mhz/FSB 1 neon fan on the side 1 atx power fan in the back and a small fan on the graphics card,, no problems, good airflow is all you need...

i am sure that you can find a really nice heatsink that will out perform a basic watercooling set up. 

While it does give lower temperatures than watercooling, it takes a lot of power to run peltier cooling AFAIK. If you're willing to spend 400 on cooling, wait for OCZ' phase change system, it'll cost about 300 - 350 and give sub-zero temps.

OCZ is coming up with a phase change system?  Any details?

maybe build an insulated vat and immerse the entire pc in liquid nitrogen. although you wouldn't be able to do so with the drives, they would probably get brittle and shatter when moved. and i'm not sure what would happen if any of the materials become superconductive.

but hanging the board with the cards into a bath of nitrogen, without even heatsinks should work. i don't think nitrogen is a conductor (need to look that up) and i also don't think that the liquid would go inbetween contacts and disrupt them. on the processor that shouldn't be a problem at all, it would just boil off, and the cards should be ok...

hm, just thought of a drawback. anytime you wanted to work on it (upgrading, swapping cards) you would have to take it out and let it slowly warm up, let the condensation that forms evaporate, then work on it and lower it in again. plus the mainboard battery would likely die, so you would have to wire that in and run cables for it outside the vat. as for the power supply it should work under liquid N, depends on the exact kind of components it has. although the psu will be boiling off a /lot/ of N.

Hmmm I've already got a small fridge in my room maybe I could mod that somehow to make a cooling system. I wonder if I could make a setup for a water cooling system so that you had the radiator actually in the fridge, or have it intake the cool air from the fridge? I don't think condensation would be much of a problem cause the radiator would be outside the case. Think something like this could work?

Hmmm I've already got a small fridge in my room maybe I could mod that somehow to make a cooling system. I wonder if I could make a setup for a water cooling system so that you had the radiator actually in the fridge, or have it intake the cool air from the fridge? I don't think condensation would be much of a problem cause the radiator would be outside the case. Think something like this could work?

Meh,