New pc

richcornucopia

Meh,  just throw the tower in the fridge, drill a couple holes in the side for the cables, seal them up with caulking....maybe throw some duct tape on there somewhere....add a TV antenna or two....there you go.

That might actually work pretty good... you shouldn't have to worry about condensation then either... and it would be very quiet (most likely)...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

II still believe anytime you cool a computer with anything but heat sinks & air flow there is potential for condensation.The easiest example is put icewater in a glass & see how much water it condenses on the outside of the glass.The more humid the atmosphere you live in the more condensation.That being said I would like to see some experiments where the air was cooled by refrigeration or thermoelectric into a computer case that had a humidity meter to measure the humidity in the case.I think a humidity meter would be an interesting sensor on any computer even a stock air cooled one.

well, cholla, the trick with cooling with liquid is that due to the fact that you are using a heatexchanger on the chipset, cpu etc. to heat water and a radiator fan setup to cool it down you are never below ambient at any point in the cycle. that means there is no condensation. (unless of course the ambient humidity is at the dewpoint anyhow. this however is rare to nonexistent in a building) you are correct that cooling a pc (or anything else) with a method of refrigeration involved can lead to condensation. if you used a fridge to cool down the liquid for a liquid cooler you would get condensation on the exposed parts if tyhe ambient temp and humidity levels are high enough. cooling a pc inside a frdidge freezer should pose no condensation problems as

- 1. the pc will be the warmest part in the fridge/freezer making it the part least likely to attract condensation

- 2. unlike a regular freezer/fridge the door will stay shut 99.9 percent of the time leading to less influx of relatively warm/humid ambient air. the air inside the fridge/freezer will fairly quickly reach a level of humidity at which no further condensation occurs by condensing on the cooling coils. when you open a fridge/freezer everything inside it feels moist after a few seconds because you are dumoping warm moist air onto a cold object. same as the mist out of a freezer/fridge. that is the cool air from the fridge/freezer hitting the outside air causing condensation of the ambient humidity.

you can always go on the safe side and place one of those chemical dehumidifiers into the fridge with the pc to ensure that the humidity in the fridge is lowered without condensation occcuring.

resopalrabotnick ;Thanks the water cooling makes more sense now.I didn't realize it just cooled the warm(hot) water back to room temp(or about).The PC in a refrigerator didn't worry me much about condensation because most are frost free basically this is a warming cycle that dries the air in the refrigerator.But a lot of the compact refrigerators like a lot would try to use just for a computer are not frost freeso might pose a problem.You are right though almost never opening one would keep a lot of moisture out of the refridgerator.

My concern was using very cold air or liquid directly into the PC for cooling & this causing condensation.

I still think a humidity sensor in a PC case would be interesting.

Well I just placed my order, cant wait for it all to get here!

Specs

Nvidia 6600gt

Opteron 148

Biostar 939 6100

1 gig mushkin

CODEGEN CAT-9011-C10 (only thing big enough for my water cooling setup)

Lots of parts from crazypc and danger den for my water cooling

Once everything gets here and I assemble it I'll be sure to post some pictures of it.

What about a garage sale very small window A/C, inside a home built box with ductwork leading to inlet of case. A/C is actually a dehumidifier. Box with filter ($.59 furnace filter) for clean air to A/C inlet on box. Under $100 with used plywood (can always find some laying around somewhere). But must have some type of temperature control. Westinghouse where I used to work had to keep temperature and humidity control in some shop rooms to build some components.

;):haha::D

I've got no idea of how much radiator power I need for an opteron so I just got the biggest one that fits 3 120mm fans, so hopefully its pretty cool. I will also be doing some mods on the case so that the radiator is at the bottom of the case sucking in cool air through the radiator, the air then gets hot, rises, and is sucked out the top by the 80mm fan up there. Only time will tell how well it will perform, hopefully dangerden shows tommorow and I can get started.

Well I finally got everything together and my system is screaming fast. I haven't done any overclocking yet cause my computer feels fast enough at stock. My cooling system is working great too at idle my opteron 148 runs at 33 and at load its only 40 its also a completely silent setup so I'm very pleased with it. Can't wait to see how it does in gaming.