AHH! Where am I?

Mr. Hahn

Once I make my new computer, will I be able to take the hard drive with Windows on it out of my old pc and put it into my new one without having to reformat? I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering if you guys know if the new hardware would somehow mess it up or confuse it somehow.

Once I make my new computer' date=' will I be able to take the hard drive with Windows on it out of my old pc and put it into my new one without having to reformat? I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering if you guys know if the new hardware would somehow mess it up or confuse it somehow.[/quote']

You probably have to reinstall win XP

i

Remember that Windows has that danged Product Activation Code. When you change System Hardware, especially the whole danged computer, it is going to "buck you" about it.

However, there is a neat trick that is worth trying that has worked for me twice now.

In your C:WindowsSystem32 directory there is a file named wpa.dll. After you get the the old HDD stuck into your new box (computer), the Product Activation "nag" will start hollaring. So, just copy the wpa.dll file BEFORE you move it into the new computer, and then replace the wpa.dll file with your old one once installed (even though it is the very same file!) ...it just may succeed in "tricking" the WPA and you'll save yourself a small hassle. (However, in these days Online WPA Activation (NO telephone) takes less than one minute ...the days of having to call are long over for the greater majority). This is assuming you are using XP Pro or Home. I can't speak for the other O/S's ...sorry.

These statements come with no warranty either expressed or implied. :)

The Reverend

I've upgraded video cards before with no issues. You just uninstall the old drivers, take out the old card, put the new one in, install the new drivers, and you're done. There's no reason you should have to reinstall anything but your drivers if you install a new video card.

I really hope the drive swap works. :? It won't be for about another month. I was just wondering ahead of time.

this actually is doable. We used to do this alot with Dells and machine upgrades, using disk copy over to the new machine--boot it up, lots of pop-up baloons asking for drivers, give it the drivers and you're done.

I don't do this anymore, fresh install all the way. As much as I hate installing new machines, I don't see where you'd want to take a brand spanking new box and try half-assing the OS install by swapping the disk. that's just me though

:) I have done this several times ....but its probably not allowed....if someone was to copy the wpa file from a new machine and install the old hard drive and give it the new wpa file it is something that can work.......but the reality is with a brand new machine it is nice to start all over with a fresh O.S. and probably a larger hard drive than was in the old machine..... of course this was done by me for academic reasons only....lol

8) Microwave

I won't have to buy a new hard drive for the new one unless I get one with higher RPM or if I decide to go RAID. I have a 200GB hard drive in my current PC, so I see no reason in buying a bigger one. Like I said, unless I go RAID, i'll let you guys know how it works out.