organ_shifter

Rainbow Six: Lockdown Hands-On

- Forget about last year's console versions; Rainbow Six: Lockdown for the PC appears to be a completely different game, indeed. -

Though it started out on the PC, the Rainbow Six series has become especially popular on the consoles. This has become a point of concern for PC gamers who fear that the series, known for its ruthlessly brutal and realistic tactical combat, will mutate into just another console shooter. Last year's Rainbow Six: Lockdown for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube did nothing to alleviate those fears, as we were introduced to a "hip" new generation of Rainbow commandos who were too cool to even bother with wearing helmets in combat.

Read more: Rainbow Returns to the PC

----------------------------

Rainbow Six Lockdown PC demo

----------------------------

The demo includes a singleplayer mission (South Africa) and a multiplayer map (Prison). The singleplayer mission will let players play a 'campaign mission' on two different difficulty modes: 'normal' or 'challenge' as well as in co-op. The multi-player map can be played in 'Team Adversarial' game mode. There are 17 weapons available in the demo (42 will be available in the retail version), and all the equipment and grenades are available for both single and multiplayer maps - while the Custom Character Creation and usage is available in multiplayer.

----------------------

Minimum Specifications

----------------------

The minimum specs for the demo are the same as for the upcoming full game:

- Computer: Pentium 4 processor 1.5GHz+ (or AMD equivalent)

- Memory: 512 MB RAM

- Operating System: Windows 2000/XP

- Video Card: 64 MB AGP or PCI-Express DirectX9 video card that supports pixel shaders and vertex shaders

- Sound Card: DirectX9-compatible sound card

- Monitor: Monitor capable of 1024x768 resolution at 60Hz

- CD-ROM Drive: 4x (8x recommended)

- HD Space: 1 GB

- Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 kbps upstream (128 kbps recommended)

It's time to put R6 Lockdown PC to the test!

Links (520MB):

3D Gamers - Rainbow Six: Lockdown demo

GamersHell - Rainbow Six: Lockdown demo

WorthPlaying - Rainbow Six: Lockdown demo

Gameguru Mania - Rainbow Six: Lockdown demo

downloading it as we speak ;) im looking forward to this one also - i never really played rainbow six games - the only one i tried is the rainbow six 3 raven shield and i didnt like it at all - ....hope this one will setisfy what i want in a game ;)

okay...i just played the demo - looks very sweet - especially with all the graphics set at maximum - very realistic - the only thing that would have made the gameplay more enjoyable is if I had in game audio - for some reason i couldnt hear my shots or anything else, just my teammates screaming when they;re shot lOL

offtopic.gifMan, I just went through a crazy situation. I installed the latest version of ATI's Catalyst Control Center (6.1), and my machine just tripped out. I don't know what happened. The install didn't seem to finish as I didn't get a prompt to reboot. I rebooted as normal anyway. When the system came back up, the monitor wouldn't show anything. The system was fully booted, but nothing on the screen. I thought "Oh great!".

I booted into a Vista in hopes of editing the Boot.ini file on my C: drive only to find out that a certain program titled BCDEDIT.EXE is needed to sucessfully change these settings under the Vista OS. I searched for the program without success. I decided to take a chance and change the settings being that I wasn't trying to modify them for Vista anyway. Finally. it worked! After getting back into XP, my display looked like VGA. I reinstalled the entire display package again, and this time it prompted me to reboot at the end. Everything is cool now I guess. I've been fighting with this damn thing since my last post. I just got back up.swoon1.gif

Now I'm off to see how Lockdown plays. I'll report bacl later. victory.gif

okay...i just played the demo - looks very sweet - especially with all the graphics set at maximum - very realistic - the only thing that would have made the gameplay more enjoyable is if I had in game audio - for some reason i couldnt hear my shots or anything else, just my teammates screaming when they;re shot lOL

Yeah I dont have shot audio either.. what a is up with that!

OK, everything is working great. The game plays very smoth. Resolution is set to 1024x768. Under Advanced settings, every checkbox is selected except for VSync, and all other settings are maxed out except for Anti-Aliasing which is set to none. I didn't play with it on yet, but I know it'll look much better with it enabled (even though it already looks great).

I don't have any audio problems (not any that I can hear). All shots/commands/ambient sounds come through crystal clear. This is with EAX Enabled and SpeakerMode:Surround selected.

Personally, I think the game is a blast. It's not Run -N- Gun like people have reported at the UBI Forums. The game is still tactical very much so. It'll be a close race between R6 Lockdown & SWAT 4 to get the main FPS spot on my rig. The full version comes out around the same time as the SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate expansion.

Here are some screens to show how it looks on a 9500Pro 128MB card with a flashed bios and overclocked on par with a 9700Pro 128MB. AA is not enabled on these screens.

After the 4th shot, I changed the primary & secondary weapon.

game looks and plays nice, but in multiplayer i can never join a game, always says unable to join.

I haven't even had the chance to play multi yet. There have been reports of the demo not having support for dedicated servers which could be the reason for not being able to join servers that easily (home connection hosting). I'll try in a little bit to see what I come up with.

I got the audio working.. i guess when you enable eax it makes the sound blaster go to 7.1 which is why I didnt have audio.. if you find a personal server for linux let me know.. i will host later tonight or tomorrow..

Graphics are great.. i can play native (1680x1050) with everything on medium.. 9600 Pro mobility w/ 128mb ram..

Only thing that is dont like it the loading thing.. kinda pointless cause the sections are so small.. like the court yard.. what is with that?