WinXP Home Support

Dark_Matter

From what i've read, and seen on many forums people believe security support/updates for WinXP home will  end Jan, 1 2007, but if you go here, and read carefully from what i see this just isn't true.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

IMPORTANT: The immediately preceding service pack is supported for either 12 or 24 months after the current service pack releases, depending upon the specific service pack. For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh%3Ben-us%3Blifecycle&LN=EN-US&x=20&y=10.

SP3 for Windows XP Home Edition is currently planned for 2H 2007. This date is preliminary.

This would also prove support will last longer than Jan, 1 2007.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?C2=1173

So that would indeed put the end of "Mainstream Support" in 2008 since WinXP Home Service Pack 3 (SP3), which is the last version of Home is expected to come out in the first or second quarter of 2006.  That will apparently be the end of Support as Home will not be the recipient of "Extended Support" as WinXP Pro will receive.

WinXP Pro's lifecycle comment says: "Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends.

haven't read the comments but i would figure that the extended support goes for home as well, since any bugs/security iddues in pro will be identical in home or nonexistent in home due to it not having the bugged feature. so i figure they will release the patches for all versions.

and if not, 2008 is a ways off yet...

haven't read the comments but i would figure that the extended support goes for home as well, since any bugs/security iddues in pro will be identical in home or nonexistent in home due to it not having the bugged feature. so i figure they will release the patches for all versions.

and if not, 2008 is a ways off yet...

by that time most pc's will be running vista's

Not going to happen.. MS tried to pull support for Window 98 but it failed.. I dont think that it is going to end anytime soon.. Since most business are not going to make the switch any time soon..  they are not even going to release SP3 until 2007  or LATE 2006.. So I wouldnt be to worried about support being pulled..

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1911773,00.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

If there were to pull something like that i am sure that there would be a huge lawsuit!  They wont even sell all of the systems off the selves before that date comes up.. I am sure that support will go atleast a year or two into vista's life..  They are still supporting Windows 98 and 2000 and XP.

Interesting article though!

win 98 is not supported any more.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114280,tfg,tfg,00.asp

Microsoft Extends Win 98 Support

Widely-used OS will be supported until mid-2006, software giant says.

Joris Evers, IDG News Service

Monday, January 12, 2004

Just days before it was to end support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft has decided to extend the life of the products until June 30, 2006.

Advertisement

The Redmond, Washington-based software vendor also extended support for Windows Millennium Edition, which was set to end December 31, 2004, until June 30, 2006, it says in a statement Monday.

Microsoft was planning to end support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition on January 16. This means that telephone support would no longer be available and Microsoft would stop releasing security updates for the operating system products. Microsoft told users to upgrade to a newer operating system if they still wanted support.

New Policy

Microsoft has now reversed its decision in response to customers' needs and to bring Windows 98 SE in line with its updated product lifecycle policy, the company says. Microsoft has changed its product lifecycle policy to provide support for seven years instead of the original four, it says.

The revised product lifecycle was announced in October 2002 and applies to products released after that date as well as several operating systems that were released earlier, including Windows 2000 and Windows XP, says Matt Pilla, senior product manager at Microsoft. Windows 98 SE now also falls under that updated lifecycle policy.

Customers in western countries did not come knocking down Microsoft's door or flood the company's phone lines to ask for support extensions, according to Pilla. The high volume of general support calls in small, emerging markets including Kazakhstan, Kenya, Slovenia, Tunisia, and Ivory Coast drove the turnaround.

"We feel we have done a good job of communicating product lifecycle details, but in emerging markets we got feedback indicating that there was less of an understanding of our product lifecycle," Pilla says. "Our decision was to either extend support in those markets or do it globally. So we decided to do it globally."

Still Widespread

Despite the availability of Windows XP since late 2001, Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE, which came to market in June 1998 and June 1999, respectively, are still widely used.

Research firm IDC estimates that over 58 million copies of Windows 98 were installed worldwide at the end of 2003, says Dan Kusnetzky, vice president of systems software research at IDC.

AssetMetrix, an Ottawa-based IT asset analysis tool vendor, late last year collected data on over 370,000 PCs from 670 businesses in the U.S. and Canada. It found that 80 percent of those companies have at least one PC running either Windows 95 or Windows 98. The older operating systems accounted for about 27 percent of operating systems found.

"It sounds to me like Microsoft has heard from their customers who are still using their Windows 98 software and are responding accordingly," IDC's Kusnetzky says.

Michael Cherry, a lead analyst at Directions on Microsoft, in Kirkland, Washington, says Microsoft's extensions may help some customers, but could frustrate others.

"It is important that a lifecycle is predictable because customers make decisions based on the lifecycle of a product. Microsoft should sit down and think about what the right length of time is and publish it rather than come up with other reasons to extend it every time we come to a deadline," Cherry says.