Vonage VOIPover satellite Direcway

jhorman

I don't think it will work... You need like 100kbps up for it to even work.  As much as their speeds fluctuate, it would cause a problem.

Also, satellite has high latency.  (600ms to 1000ms) compared to cable or DSL (10ms to 40ms)  I tried Packet8.net with my Wildblue connection and it wouldn't work.  My upload speed is between 200-240kbps.

aside from the speed the latency would be horrific. i have talked to people that were on sat phones provided by the army in bosnia, and you pretty much had to use CB like bla bla bla OVER bla bla bla OVER methods to avoid talking over one another. in a normal phone convo you figure when someone is done with a sentence and start talking, or you interrupt someone and that someone instantly hears you coming in. but with a 1 second or even 500ms latency (where the 1 second is even optimistic, imo) you end up talking over one another. and if you try to break into a sentence or start talking when you think the other person stopped and he didn't before you notice it you already said a few words. that really messes up the conversation, making it vital for both parties to end their 'messages' with OVER to let the other party know it's ok to start talking.

• 3 weeks later...

i too tried voip 'digital voice' and had the same problems, when it did connect.  receiving calls was not a problem, but latency was immediately noticed.  calling out was much more predictable...1 of 20~30 attempts successful.  tried skype over the weekend, going dish to dish (dway) and dish to cable modem and dish to wifi.  lower latency going to cable/wifi than dish to dish, but audio quality was very high (using built in mic/speakers on laptop).  heard echo back from cable user with external mic/speakers (heard my own statements repeated back to my laptop).  in areas with no options, skype over dway works reasonalby well, but cb like usage is required.

• 2 months later...

I tried Packet8.net with my Wildblue connection and it wouldn't work.  My upload speed is between 200-240Kbps.

I'm a new WildBlue user and am using ViaTalk's VoIP with a Linksys PAP2 adapter they provided free.  Did not work at first, until I got the port forwarding set correctly on my router.  Now works great!  Sure, there is some latency inherent over satellite voice communications (ever watch live feeds on CNN?)  I am very satisfied with the overall performance and voice quality and feature set of the service.  Especially since everyone said that VoIP wouldn't work over a consumer-grade satellite broadband connection.  What sort of problems did you have with Packet8.net?  What hardware were you using as your RJ-11 voice adapter?

I'm a new WildBlue user and am using ViaTalk's VoIP with a Linksys PAP2 adapter they provided free.  Did not work at first, until I got the port forwarding set correctly on my router.  Now works great!  Sure, there is some latency inherent over satellite voice communications (ever watch live feeds on CNN?)  I am very satisfied with the overall performance and voice quality and feature set of the service.  Especially since everyone said that VoIP wouldn't work over a consumer-grade satellite broadband connection.  What sort of problems did you have with Packet8.net?  What hardware were you using as your RJ-11 voice adapter?

It's good to hear from someone who is satisfied with VoIP over Satellite.

I believe latency is "officially" annoying at around 200-250ms.

I have talked on the sat phone to my brother in BFE Canada a few times, the latency was noticeable, but tolerable.

But for home phone service I would stick to a land line personally.