Ethernet coax T piece etc PROBLEM!

SkUG

Hello

First of all - sorry if this has already being addressed (im new to this forum and cant seem to find anything relative with "search"

First things First - what i got

1 x XP pro pc (#1) more details needed?

1 x XP home pc (#2) more details needed?

2 x anchient ethernet network cards + cable etc more details needed?

cu1.5.jpg

remember those?

anyways

1) Can you Please tell me what is the correct way to setup this type of network so it works?

2) I think i've mucked alot up so can u tell me how to remove from

"device manager"

"Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter"

"Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2"

"PPPoEWin Miniport"

Also

"My Network places"

"Microsoft Terminal Services"

"Web Client Network"

If you can solve those problems for me i have a few more!! need more details?

Many Thanks

SkUG

Hi SkUG....welcome to the form....

First of all ....the cables pictured are BNC single wire shielded cable......with what appears to be a 50 ohm load...and a short on one end of the Tee.....

They won't support any kind of network connection....one wire won't do it..

It would however run video nicely....to an old monitor... ;)

That's not a picture of my actual setup

im usin the proper stuff

2 T pieces etc - ends etc etc

This network setup served me well with Win 95 / 98 / ME and XP just dont wanna know!

Well sorry then....I guess I missed the point of your first post then....I thought that the cables in the picture had something to do with the text in the post... :oops:

Skug, assuming you have the correct connections (and I won't get into that), leave the stuff in device manager alone, and concentrate on getting the netowrk cards installed.

Hopefully they are what is referred to as "NE 2000" compatible, which a lot of the older 10BaseT BNC cards were.  Depending on how far you want to go with this, you might post closeups of the cards, and give details such as manufacturer, model number, and whether or not their resource settings (IRQ) are set by jumpers or Plug-N-Play.  Sometimes a visual insection can tell you that.  If you see jumers on the card marked IRQ and choices like 5, 6, 7, 8 next to the jumpers, then they have to be set manually.

Assuming you can get the PC to "pick them up" properly, getting them to function with the coax isn't as hard as you think.

Actually, when used on a very small network, it's highly efficient, and low loss. There's a reason why long haul runs, like cable providers, used it to interconnect their DS3 sized feeds to neighborhoods before fiber became a viable medium.

But in this case, it just hapens to be designed for a very different purpose than Skug probably needs.