Signal Strength Comparison By Satellite

JoeOtto

I would like to start a thread to post signal strength and cross-pol values for various configurations on Direcway.

The purpose of this would be to have someplace for people to go to see if their values are good, or whether they would benefit from adjustment.

Please indicate your values. Please only post values in clear weather (no rain/snow/hail... dark of night is ok)

Also, please include your satellite and transponder.

Lastly, be aware that the FCC says you CANNOT move your dish unless you are properly trained...

My values:

IA8

1330 Mhz

RSL: 82

XPOL: 69

Lastly, be aware that the FCC says you CANNOT move your dish unless you are properly trained...

That's untrue.  The FCC has nothing on the books regarding that.  It's somewhat of a scare tactic employed by most of the 2 way KU/KA band providers to keep the masses from screwing up their dishes and overloading support with trouble calls.  Contrary to a widely believed rumor, you will not burn out a satellite transponder by incorrectly pointing and skewing your dish, nor will you interrupt the signals of other users.  Lots of info about these rumors on the web.

DW4000

SatMex5

Assigned Satellite Parameters

Longitude: 117

Hemisphere: West

Transponder Frequence: 1090 MHz

Receiver Polarization: Horizontal

Trasmit Polarization: Horizontal

Antenna Pointing Values

Elevation: 34.5

Magnetic Azimuth: 228.9

Polarization: 33.9

Signal Strength: 91-95

My signal is jumping between 44 and 45 right now. I'm scared to do a cross-pol test right now because I'm afraid that it will fail, and I'll then need to call Direcway to get my system back up. Last time I did a cross-poll I got a 61, which I hear is barely above passing.

DW 7000

Longitude: 87 West

Receive Frequency: 1150 MHz

Signal  46

xpol  69

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1029 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 126 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Thu Jan 19 12:56:02 CST 2006

Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.13 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 13.2 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KLPHM8XBF

signal was always in high 60's with the dw 6000. Never seen higher than 50 with 7000

DW 7000

Longitude: 87 West

Receive Frequency: 1150 MHz

Signal  46

xpol  69

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1029 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 126 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Thu Jan 19 12:56:02 CST 2006

Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.13 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 13.2 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KLPHM8XBF

signal was always in high 60's with the dw 6000. Never seen higher than 50 with 7000

Do you know what transponder you were on on the 6000? I went through the same thing when I upgraded; I was on the 1250 transponder (same satellite as you) and went to the 1150 after the upgrade. My signal dropped from mid 50's to mid 30's. After tweaking my dish, I know get 45-50 signal, so it's a little more consistent. Remember, satellite strength doesn't determine speed, it just determines how good of signal it can keep in bad weather.

Do you know what transponder you were on on the 6000? I went through the same thing when I upgraded; I was on the 1250 transponder (same satellite as you) and went to the 1150 after the upgrade. My signal dropped from mid 50's to mid 30's. After tweaking my dish, I know get 45-50 signal, so it's a little more consistent. Remember, satellite strength doesn't determine speed, it just determines how good of signal it can keep in bad weather.

Hi Bird Fan

I was on AMC3 1250 since May 2004 with the 6000.  That changed to 1150 right around the time I upgraded to the 7000 in december. Signal dropped down in the low 40's. No matter what I never see more than 50 or 51.  I'm pretty sure bad weather will shut me down more so than before, but Amc 3 has been consistent most of the time, at least for me. Only complaint I have is my signal dropping with the new upgrade. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Bird Fan

I was on AMC3 1250 since May 2004 with the 6000.  That changed to 1150 right around the time I upgraded to the 7000 in december. Signal dropped down in the low 40's. No matter what I never see more than 50 or 51.  I'm pretty sure bad weather will shut me down more so than before, but Amc 3 has been consistent most of the time, at least for me. Only complaint I have is my signal dropping with the new upgrade. Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the same position. My signal doesn't go over 50 or 51 and it's always around 46 during peak hours. Maybe you should call Direcway and request a free repoint.

I'm in the same position. My signal doesn't go over 50 or 51 and it's always around 46 during peak hours. Maybe you should call DirecWay and request a free repoint.

[/quote

Something tells me that I would have to pay for that repoint.  I have spent many long hours trying to fine tune the dish.  Oh well, atleast I can pass the crosspole.  :D