Signal Strength Comparison By Satellite

JoeOtto

Something tells me that I would have to pay for that repoint.  I have spent many long hours trying to fine tune the dish.  Oh well, atleast I can pass the crosspole.  :D

You've tried repointing the dish yourself and haven't gotten a better number?

Here's an awesome post on how to repoint your own dish by 'The Reverend':

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1473.msg15100#msg15100

I finally got a chance to tinker with my dish this afternoon.

I couldn't anything better for RSL, but I was able to get XPOL up to 84 pretty steady, with spikes once in a while to 88. It is cloudy today. I think a really clear day it will be a touch higher.

I haven't seen any IA8 values much higher than I have mine. The tech that moved me from SatMex 5 to IA8 said that high 70's on RSL and mid 60's on XPOL on IA8 is normal.

Also, for the previous post, fail is anything below 60.

Thats some good info!  I'm almost convinced that 50 is about the max for us.

I used to get 64, but that was with the 6000.

I knew a guy who used to get around 75 (the same installer installed his), but I don't know what satellite he was on. And again, he was on the 6000, also.

I re-massaged the dish this weekend in very clear weather...

IA8

1330 MHz

RSL: 82

XPOL: 86

I tried and tried and tried to get above 82. I got 83 once for a fleeting moment, but couldn't get it again. I have found that tiny adjustments are difficult becase the installers crank the bolts down so hard (so the dish doesn't move) that it flattens everything out just a touch and you end up back where you were when you re-tighten. XPOL is easier because there really isn't anything to flatten out there.

my  revalidate isolation says zero

That value (both of them) will clear out if you do a "Clear Statistics" on the advanced page and I believe if you power-cycle the modem.

Mine says 0 in both locations too. If you go the the advanced page and just want a quick reference, click set up. then antenna pointing, then do an automatic test. It will just look once in a pass/fail mode.

For a running display, you need to use the manual version of that on the same page.

If you run either test, I think those values will re-populate. I would check for you, but it is crappy weather here today, and I never do XPOL or force ranging when it is crappy out.

I was able to get xpol up from high 60's into the mid 70 range.  It's very touchy. Seems like 1 millimeter either way and i go back to 68 or 69. I'm using the manual crosspole test on the setup-antenna pointing page.  I would never attempt this with anything less than clear skies. When finished I ran the automatic test and got a 74.  I was not tweaking for more signal. but somehow during the process i got it  from a 46 to 53.  Signal of 55 for my sat and transponder is the highest I've heard of anyone getting with the 7000.