hearing static in my sound...

CaptainSauce

Try doubling clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray. Once the Volume Control window opens, look for CD Player & Line In. Check the Mute box under both. That seems to clear up any hissing/static in my sound (including mouse movement). I only uncheck the Line In when I want my television's audio to come through my system speakers. Other than that, I leave them both checked.

If you don't have the above 2 volume controls available, click on Options from the upper left hand corner, and then select Properties. Inside Properties, be sure that your current Mixer device is selected from the drop down menu and that Playback is selected from the "Adjust volume for" section. In the window at the very bottom, check the box in front of the two volume controls and click ok. They're now listed on the main volume window.

also if you are using a pair of amplified speakers.. which is just about any type of speakers out there you shouldnt run your sound card at 100%..  this will distort the sound and could cause the hissing that you are hearing.  Try running the sound card at about 75%. 

The other thing that you might want to try is updating the drivers for your sound card.

In addition to doing that, try cleaning out the microphone and line in ports (just plug headphones into them repeatedly works...)  I've had dust build up in there before and cause occasional static..